iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who said Dat

Started by Sawyerfortyish, October 13, 2005, 09:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Wasn't long ago someone said (why use one nail when 5 will do) Well my bits were only a couple days old and I got 3 out of 5 >:(. Wouldn't you know 16 pennys at that. Take out the bits throw em away put in new. At least I got 2 days sawing on em usally it's put in new and saw one or two logs and hit steel.

Ron Wenrich

You're lucky.  The last 16 penny nails I hit bent the shoulders on 6 sockets. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Corley5

I hit a 16 penny nail onetime and it rounded the corners on two teeth but didn't hurt anything otherwise.  Touched up the saw with the Andrus and went back to sawing.  Got lucky that time ;D  That tree was a white cedar that came from the middle of swamp.  No fence, buildings, deer blinds etc any where near.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Sawyerfortyish

Center of a swamp  :omust have been an old duck blind. Sometimes I wonder about the people that drive those nails. Just why? or what for?

Timburr

For those not in the know, a tree is the MOST convenient post there is.

I doubt if there is 1 FF member who is not in the know.
Sense is not common

Frickman

16 penny's are hard on a saw. I know how you feel Sawyer40ish. I've hit 8 penny's that took out every tooth. If you hit them square, just cut them in two in the middle, sometimes it's not so bad. I've hit 16 penny's though that were "curly cue" from being bent when hammered in, and just bent over then. They hooked the shank and drug on both sides of the saw until we could get things shut down. What a mess.

The worst thing to hit are porcelain fence insulators, and glass electric insulators. And railroad spikes, and stones, and the list goes on and on.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Sawyerfortyish

I've got a collection including insulators a 30lb chunk of concrete, arrow heads,lead bullets, metal bottle opener, clothes line pullys, and a hand held wire grill you cook hamburgers on and oh yea front forks of a kids bike ::) It just amazes me what trees will grow around. I didn't hit the grill or bike forks but I nailed the concrete full bore went about 12" in it before I slammed the carrige in reverse taking all the teeth off my bull gear . That was costly  >:(

Ron Wenrich

An old timer told me that you could saw through a railroad spike if you go slow enough.  Wonder if he was pulling my leg?   ;)

Pretty impressive list.  Must be those NJ trees.  I can only add a hammer head and railroad spikes to that list.  They use those railroad spikes to get up a tree for hunting. 

Sawyerfortyish

Pulled a RR spike out of a tree not long ago. They anit easy to pull let me tell you.

Gary_B

I know since I bought my mill, it has given me a different perspective, when it comes to putting no trespassing signs up, use only alumium nails and dont nail into a hardwood.. Ive seen signs nailed to big cherry trees...just shake my head :)

Sawyerfortyish

I have been telling the guys in our gun club for years put the poster on the same tree every time you post don't use a differant tree and skrew that one up to. Also a point about posting we use plastic posters and nail them up but when you nail up a poster leave it loose or bowed in the middle so when the tree grows and expands it won't pop the nails out of the poster for a couple years anyway.

Ron Wenrich

I've seen guys use staple guns.  They don't even penetrate past the bark and the sign stays up for as long as needed.  Don't even need roofing nails.

Fred

I sawed the end off a horseshoe And lots of nails..
                                    Fred
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

johnjbc

I've been using staples from a Arrow T80 to put up posted signs.  They don't go through the bark and I hope won't grow into the tree. ??? ???
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Sawyerfortyish

The damage is already done. Nails have been used for a lot of years here. The gun club tryed using staples they don't hold in the tree that long and every year you had to put up new. Using nails and plastic posters we only have to post about every three years. Posters get expensive after a while. Here in N.J. there isn't much land open to public. So trespassing is a big issue. Nailed posters don't pull off a tree as easy as stapled posters. It makes the I didn't see the posters excuse harder to use. If your trees have poster nails already grown into them it's a little late to worry about more nails.

Thank You Sponsors!