The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: An Oregon chainsaw?  (Read 5365 times)

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
An Oregon chainsaw?
« on: October 19, 2005, 06:56:55 PM »
Anyone ever heard of or know of a chainsaw ever branded "Oregon" ?  (not referring to the Oregon bar).
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Lewis Brander

• Lewis with 1953 PM Rocket
    • Share Post
Re: An Oregon chainsaw?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 08:51:03 PM »
No can't say as I have. If you can post a pic, someone here can surely help identify the saw or if you want email me a copy and I'm sure I can or get someone to identify it at some piont.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 09:38:21 PM »
No saw, no pic. Just have heard that someone claimed they saw an "Oregon" chainsaw. Waiting for them to come up with a pic, but thought I'd ask here just in case I'm wrong in my thinking that there isn't such a thing.
Thanks Lewis.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline pallis

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 11:29:18 AM »
When I was a kid back in the sixties a friend's dad had a chainsaw that he called an Oregon.  My guess is that Oregon badged the name.  On the other hand, they may have meant the saw was from Oregon.  I think it was a two man, gear driven saw.  I know this doesn't help you any, but when this question pops up I remember that saw. ::)

Offline floyd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 12:30:38 PM »
WAG here...said OREGON on the bar

Offline fishhuntcutwood

• I love the smell of two-stroke and wood chips.
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 01:10:48 PM »
WAG here...said OREGON on the bar

Agreed.  He's probably got a "Windsor" saw too.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Offline Oregon Engineer

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 03:59:29 PM »
Yup! OREGON did make chainsaws for a very short period of time!!!  There are two OREGON made chain saws on display and I will get you guys some pictures. When I get the pictures, I'll tell you the story I was told about why the chainsaws were made and why OREGON stopped making them.

Offline fishhuntcutwood

• I love the smell of two-stroke and wood chips.
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 02:25:14 AM »
Cool.  Learn something new everyday.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Offline Oregon Engineer

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 02:32:12 PM »
First off, the company making OREGON products was originally called Omark Industries. Some of the chain saws made by Omark have the Omark Ind. brand. So if you see a chain saw with the OREGON logo on the bar, its because the bar was branded OREGON, not the chain saw.

There were only 10 big saws and 10 compact saws made by Omark Ind. Essentially they were prototypes to send a message to the market. The compact saws were branded but the big saws were identified only by scribing some prototype codes on the case.

The attached pictures show the two saw models and also the plaques describing the reasons behind why Omark Industries attempted to make chain saws.

Omark Industries also made some prototype tree harvesters back in the early 1960's.

Offline twoodward15

• turnersville NJ
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 01:58:52 PM »
Very interesting.  The only thing I don't understand is the comment about making 10 and only getting 9 back and that means that everyone doesn't want to give them back?  Try sending 10 stihl 066's out for testing today and see if you get them back.  I think 1 saw out of 10 not coming back could mean other things.  Who knows.  It sure is interesting and neat though.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Offline Oregon Engineer

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 10:59:03 AM »
The only thing I don't understand is the comment about making 10 and only getting 9 back and that means that everyone doesn't want to give them back? 

The field test engineer responsible for the field testing of the chain saws is still at the company. I asked him about your comment. The following is what he wrote back to add a bit more to the story.

"We made enough parts for at least 30 big saws and ran a total of 18 in 3 different field tests. It was in 1964/5, NOT 1961. I was the field test engineer on the project as well as part of the 3 man design and development team. We did not loose ANY saws during testing as we (I) lived with them and picked them up each evening to check them over and to repair or rebuild other features in them. I was also the guy who went to Homelite with 2 V.P.'s and gave them a demo and beat their BEST unit almost 2 to 1 ! ! ! .....  When we dropped the project we gave a few more to other OEM's and a few more "developed legs" and ran off and the remaining parts were junked. It hurt to see it go! ! !  EVERY test man wanted to keep one as it out cut every thing in the field for the next 10+ years! ! !.
     The "tin can" saw was being worked on in 60 and 61. The engine was an "O & R" model airplane engine. I also worked with Scotty on them but Scotty was the BRAINS of the project and I was the GRUNT. Later, with our Sales Mgr.,  we took them to several OEM's to push the concept of a small "Consumer" type chain saw. They ALL laughed & said we were CRAZY."

That's the rest of the story!

Offline Lewis Brander

• Lewis with 1953 PM Rocket
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 09:11:48 PM »
I for one would like to thank the Oregon Engineer for his time and consideration in providing this information. I find it interesting. I can't imagine what one of those saws might be worth today. Reminds me of the artical I read about Disston, making 6 prototype. light weight oneman saws in the early 50's before they went out of business. I often wondered where they ended up. I've sent out several emails and noone seems tp have any info on them. Would be interesting to hear from someone who might have info on the Oregon or Disston saws, or acually have one in his posession. Take care. Lewis Brander.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Offline CSCollector

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • Chain Saw Collectors Corner
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 11:27:57 PM »
I have a couple of questions about the Oregon chain saws.
1. Did Oregon build their saw that used the O&R engine before O&R produced a saw of their own?
2. Can you supply some stats on the large saw so that I can enter it in my webpage?  Engine size, bore, stroke, and all the other details I try to enter for all saws.
Thanks

Online Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 11:39:36 PM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum Mike!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 12:16:16 AM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum from me too.
Hope you find the information to add to your webpage, and share in the fun here.
south central Wisconsin

Offline Chris J

• I'm new! Well, not exactly "new."
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 01:11:08 PM »
Mike, it's great to see you here.  Ditto the thanks to Oregon Engineer for checking into this & posting the information.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 10:46:35 PM »
Glad you are aboard Mike. Your site is a tremendous resource. Still looking out for that old Pioneer ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline CSCollector

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • Chain Saw Collectors Corner
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 12:05:32 AM »
Thank you for your kind  words.  I don't have much time to spend on forums but when I spotted the Oregon Chain Saw I had to jump in.  There was a plan to market an Oregon Chain Saw in Canada as well and this saw would have been built by PM using thier 270 and 177 models.  I have all the documentation stored away for future use and will have to dig it out and see what the date on it was.  The project never got past he planning stages.

Offline Oregon Engineer

• Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 12:06:43 AM »
CSCOLLECTOR,

I've passed your questions to the guy who was the field test engineer during the development of the two saw models. I'll let you know what he says.

There is a bit of a tradition at OREGON to have retired employees come visit the week before Christmas. It is a nice time to see many friends and mentors. I'll keep a sharp lookout for the engineer (been retired 12+ years) who designed the two saw models. If he comes in, I'll get as many facts as possible.

I'm not at liberty to disassemble the saw, but stroke and bore can usually be approximately  determined by pulling the spark plug and inserting a few special tools. After hours I'll give it a try.

Lastly, we have a storage location that is DDDDUUUUUUSSSSSTTTTTYYYYY. After hours sometime I'll get a dust mask and poke around in the old files and see what I can uncover.

Stop by now and then and check this thread, the info may be slow in coming but I'll get what I can.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 10:27:58 PM »
Oregon Engineer and Mike, you are great additions to this forum. I for one really appreciate the knowledge both of you bring. 8) 8) 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Oregon chainsaw sharpeners

Started by RPeter on Chainsaws

21 Replies
Last post January 06, 2009, 08:13:04 PM
by Kevin
xx
Wanted Alaska chainsaw mill with operator (Oregon)

Started by backwoods sawyer on Job Opportunities

0 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 12:41:59 AM
by backwoods sawyer
xx
Oregon Logging Show in Eugene, Oregon Feb. 22,23,24

Started by tlooney on Shows, Events and Places to meet

0 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 01:20:55 AM
by tlooney
xx
OREGON vs. FLORIDA STATE / ALABAMA VS. OHIO STATE / OREGON vs. OHIO