The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: A Board Foot Conversation  (Read 9313 times)

Offline Frank_Pender

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Re: A Board Foot Conversation
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2001, 05:17:59 PM »
Amen, Tom.  Ifelt the sasme way, and got rubbed that way too.  I have been in this sort of business all of my life (57 years, fasther and grandfather also)  and only have a Masters Degree in: Hard Knocks, Education and Socially and Educationaly Disadvantaged. With 20 years in the cattle industry, and more recently 12 years in the Samill Industry.   All of this without even a PhD.  And all this time, two disgrunted customers , oh well. :D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2001, 11:46:10 AM »
   Frank, if you have been in the cattle business, give yourself credit for a BS, MS and PhD... Bulls..t, more s..t, piled high and deep. I first heard that from the head of our nursing school, who had just completed her PhD, and so could personally testify to the shoveling aspect of it..you can also say with Stallone- 'Take this job and shovel it..' :D  I speak as one who knows- addicted to cattle for 11 out of the last 17 years. I took a 6-year break from 89-95, but couldn't stay away. I have to have a herd going.. :)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline Jeff_Green

• Happy In Branson Missouri!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2001, 04:33:58 AM »
 :)I enjoy reading all of the contributors here!! I agree with Tom when he says that the main thing that brings customers back is when they feel they are getting what they are paying for, and on occasion, a little more.  How many of us would rather buy wood from Tom than from that Dr. _______? (although I doubt he has ever rolled a log on a mill before!) ...... I think it is far better to live by the spirit of the law than the letter of the law ....... Tom may feel a little unsure about his standing in a court of law - but I doubt he will ever need one because of the way he does business ....... Jeff Green :) :)

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2001, 04:29:29 PM »
Cattle.  We sold our herd in 1990.  It took some adjusting at first but now both Dad and I agree that it was the best thing we ever did.  No more being tied to the farm.  We can pack up and leave without worrying about someone else watching them, keeping fences in order, and shoveling or forking s#*!t etc.  A friend who has registered Angus animals almost had me convinced a couple years ago to get back into it.  Then at his place one day I happened to be there when a calf needed to be pulled.  I assisted with the operation, the calf was lost, the cow went for hamburger later, and after the reminder of what I was missing don't want cattle again.  Now we raise hay for sale to the growing number of horse people and raise 10 or twelve acres of corn as part of a rotation to kill weeds and quack grass in the hay fields.  My Grandpa had cattle his whole life, sold them when he was 72 and wished he'd done it sooner after he'd finally did it.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Board foot

Started by CWStrickland on Ask The Forester

12 Replies
Last post September 04, 2006, 06:44:42 AM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
Would you saw for .10 a board foot???

Started by gator gar on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 04:20:10 AM
by weisyboy