iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manual log turner on Woodmizer

Started by sawyerkirk, September 10, 2002, 08:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerkirk

I'm sawing on some huge pecan logs, when the biggest log just won't turn on my mill, after quite a few cuss words, some fretting and fuming (it was 96 degrees so  I was allowed) I looked at the teeth on my log turner, they were at least 3/4"shorter than when they were new, the top tooth is still pretty decent, but the middle two are flat. It's just one of those things I never thought to check on maintenance day. So, I pulled them on and going to try to regrind the points. Those teeth have moved alot of wood.

Tom

I guess they have.  I went out and looked at mine after reading your note and I can't tell the difference.  They aren't as sharp but they are still as big.  Maybe because I cut pine and cypress, Huh?

sawyerkirk

99.9% of the logs those teeth have turned were Oak, Pecan or other hardwood. and all very large!!

Bibbyman

I wonder if Wood-Mizer made the log turner claws of softer material at one time.  I talked to one WM owner who said he'd replaced the claw plates on his turner. ???

I did retrofit our old manual LT40 with a turner and over two years, didn't notice any wear past paint removal and polishing.  The new Super has a double set of claw plates.  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

mmm...please define very large   are we talking 36" or 30" or 26" at the big end?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

I define "very large" as a log that DonT want to do what I want it to do. DanG, I hate a smart log !!!!

sawyerkirk

My version of large is 30"+ on the width and 16'+ on the length. Rarely do I ever get a log that is 30" but only 8' long or a 16' log that is only 18" or 20" across.

OneWithWood

Yep, 30" x 16ft is a large log in my book, but then my book is kinda small :D
What would be the average size of logs you mill?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawyerkirk

The average log I bring home is 16"x12' we cut alot of oak, gum and cottonwood into wedges and stakes,(about 5000bf/week) so I don't bring home logs anywhere near 16'x30". I don't like to use the turner, so I use the cant hook as much as possible. Invariably though 1/2 the custom jobs we do end up being some huge unrulely log like a 16'x30" pin oak  or a pecan that is 4' across and 4' long!! or a "square"(ever seen a square log?) hard maple 46"x46" on the big end and 14' long with a huge rotten whole in 1/2 the side. customer says "can't you get some good lumber off that spot isn't rotten?" (it's still laying there) I can continue with big ugly log stories if you'd like!!

ARKANSAWYER

My hydralic turner turns about 50% hard woods and after 1/4 million bdft  the paint is worn off.  I have turn some big ones with it and it turns 24" 32 ft logs  with no problem and I have sawn logs up to 42"x 12' on the mill.  Maybe you just got a bad set of teeth.  If you are sawing that much a week maybe you need to upgrade to a hydralic mill.
  ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

sawyerkirk

One of these days...one of these days...most of what we cut is into 6/4 or 4x's, so it's not quite like cutting 5000bf of 4/4 stock. I know when I ground them down, they were pretty soft. It may be just a mystery never revealed.

Thank You Sponsors!