OLD_ JD

here a few pic

in the wood

arrive landing

ready to unload

very low sol impack

canadien forest ranger

Quebecnewf

I was talking to another guy who uses one of these machines to log up in Ont. He tells me the same thing great mach but a bit slow. He says they are not real good in deep snow but as long as you are going back and forth over the same road it goes good. How do you find it in the woods can you go pretty well anywhere or do you have to cut a real good road first.  Would it be able to follow a small excavator with a harvester head on it through the woods for instance ? How long to load a ful load and how long to unload on average. Sorry for all the questions but I am very interested in any and all info on this mach. What is fuel consumption per hr.

has anyone else in this forum used this type of machine if so jump in with your 2 cents worth.

Thanks

Quebecnewf

SwampDonkey

Quebecnewf, if you have a forestry school nearby they may have some FERIC reports about the machine.

The one I know of here, is older than JD's and he has alot of down time. It will handle some steeper terrain than a skidder but I think it's hard on the tracks with a load. I've seen it operate in small wood and thought it was slow at loading the wood. Let's just say the guy and his crew were never out there to make any production records. I could elaborate but I won't go there. ;) I did read one report that said the Dion does not need wide trails like most forwarders require.

FERIC have a link to a report they have, but you need membership to dowload it. You can find the link by doing a page search.

http://www.feric.ca/en/mempartner/reports/view.php?SR-108
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Quebecnewf

There is a lot of reports on the Feric page I would like to read but they won't give me a membership. It is only open to companies I guess. To bad because I sure would like to read some of the reports. When I first purchased my bandmill 12 years ago I managed to buy a book on them that was put out by Feric and it was excellent.

Oh well I well keep gathering info from this site and other links on the net. This is by far one of the best sites I have ever found.

Quebecnewf

SwampDonkey

Hey, you guys don't realize where Quebecnewf is. He's across the straight from the Island of Newfoundland.  :o

Long Link

Harrington harbour info
Read this and you'll make the connection with his username. :)

And here I thought he lived up near Quebec city in Harrington, where the tree nursery is.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dom

Holly geez! That's way past Sept Ile!

Its nice to see your enjoying your machine Quebecnewf! I like the design of the Dion! :)

timberjack240

hey old jd you should birng that baby up here to pa for a little while. we need to cut some wood that wood make things go a lot faster well break er in right  ;D

OLD_ JD

quebecnewf,i can get almost everywhere in the wood as long i careful about the high stump.it's pretty low ground
It will sure work good behind a harvester ;). About the load in unload time :-\...depend on the operateur skill :D...but is pretty fast :). right now we run trow 5 gal per 8h working shift...not bad ;)
more pic will follow in a few day......
canadien forest ranger

Quebecnewf

Swampdonkey

If you look at the picture of Harrington that is on the linl you posted. The small blue boat at the dock in the cove with the white wheelhouse is mine and the blue and white house in front of the church is my house. The buildings in the front with the green roofs are my business CMR Sales Inc. (a general store). That picture was taken from the deck of the Nordik Express the local coastal boat that carries passengers and freight along the coast. It has about 5 or 6 more trips and it will be finished for this season. There are more pictures on the net of the village. Do a Google search under Harrington Harbour and you will see more.

Quebecnewf

OLD_ JD

Q!uebecnewf, was it at Harrington they made that movie who was call ''the grand seduction" ???that place look pretty "unique"

to live up there a good sled is a "must"....be there w\ out it.....it can be like a texans w\out a good B.B.Q... ;D ;D
canadien forest ranger

Quebecnewf

Your right

They did film the movie here two sumers ago. As a matter of fact if you have seen the movie the small girl who acts the part of the mayor's daughter who leaves town in the first part of the movie is my youngest daughter. My own movie star.

Harrington is a small fishing community located on an island about 300 people only. Main fishery in this area right now is crab but the cod is looking better and better each year. There is a community owned seafood plant in the community and that is the main employer in the community.

Come and visit

Quebecnewf

SwampDonkey

Another name for the film was 'Seducing Doctor Lewis'

http://www.tribute.ca/movie_spec/6985.htm

Thank You Sponsors!