iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ya"ll got hobbies ? What ya making ?

Started by UNCLEBUCK, November 26, 2005, 02:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Unclebuck,

The common scales are O for the Lionel-type trains, HO for the common department store train sets and most of what you would get in a hobby shop, N scale and G scale.  There are also several others with limited following and production, such as S, TT, and Z, among many others in the US and Europe.   If you were to walk into Wal-Mart and get a train set, it will most likely be HO gauge.   N-scale is smaller, people have set up some nice N-scale sets in a large briefcase.

In order, G is largest, followed by O, S, HO, N, TT and Z.  The big "garden" trains are in a class all their own, not to be confused with G or Standard gauge which is an accepted scale.  All of the models are based on a particular modeling scale. For example, the accepted scale for HO-gauge is 1:87.1 or 0.138" = 1'.  There is some variation in all scales.

Here's a link to comprehensive train scales, from largest to smallest.    http://www.spikesys.com/Modelrr/scales.html

buck5611

I got many different hobbys depending on the season. Summer: Atlantic salmon and trout fishing, lawn care,Motorcycle riding.  :)Fall: deer and moose hunting, cutting and sawmilling wood. Winter:lot of Internet,weight training,self learning of using a small metal lathe,flies tying, keeping the wood stove full. Spring:checking and fixing everything around the house and fishing tackle. As I'm retired I first tought that I will have so many time left that it might be boring but in fact, I often think that by this time, I'm lucky to be retired because I could not find time to go to work. 

getoverit

Lately, I've been restoring a little boat for some big pond fishing... notice the name of the boat :D

its all working now, fully re-wired, new electronics and radio, and now a hard top to boot...
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Danny_S

Well, I did start an remote control airboat, and it is still on the bench, and this weekend I took a bug to work on it again. It just seems I have not much extra time to work on it, but I am going to make time. I have some pics of it and other people's hobbies listed in this similar topic from about a year ago... 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=9103.0
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

DanG

Getoverit, that reminds me a lot of the 21' Regal I used to have.  Whatcha got for power?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

UNCLEBUCK

Deadwood that is a awesome job of building ! Danny I remember that thread about your airboat and was wondering about it . A 4 foot long model airboat is big !  I was just puttering with the nephew this weekend having fun building . That looks like a beautiful boat GetOverIt , I bet that thing could find the "specks" ! Thanks for the lesson in trains Engineer , I have always liked trains but never had anything good , last train I had was a Christmas present about age 9 where I would dump in oil into the smoke stack and watch it puff ! Dave I , that looks like alot of fun too.  Sounds like everyone has something that they enjoy and it sure is fun to have a go at it when time allows ! Thanks for showing and sharing !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

beenthere

Now you guys have me digging out an 'old' project, but I first need to add a bearing to my dust vacuum (old sears that can't get parts for, nor motor) and then get the lathe back in position. Then I'll rough sand some old walnut turnings, fine sand them, and then put a finish on them. They've been sitting in 'storage' and taking up room in my small shop for a good number of years.  :) 
See what you y'all did ::) :D

But while doing that an idea came across me for building a wood scabbard that I can stick my chainsaw bar into and bolt it to my tractor ROPS to have it with me when pulling out logs from the woods this week.  Hate leaving it set on the ground where it might get broken.  Ready to bolt on tomorrow.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

UNCLEBUCK

Well after 3 days I think my biplane is starting to take shape . Cant do much today outside with no travel advised /bad weather so I am in my long johns trying to walk around with a severe back ache and a bowl of homemade ice cream in one hand and the digicam in the other . What a great day !  :D
That sounds like a neat idea beenthere . Stuff never seems to sit still to and from the woods but oh I dont think I could ever drive a nice john deere like yours into the woods. With my old junk I cant tell if I got a dent or not when I swim back out of the brush pile ! Turning wood I bet can be a blast . I never done that before.

Lud

Where to start, carving, drawing, building, masonary, copperwork, Glasswork, welding, ceramics, picture framing, and now sawing and building equipment to optomize the sawing.

One of the hobbies I ran as a business for a dozen years.  I built kaleidoscopes and was making my own mirror so I could make big ones. 

I actually told the wife that a person should designate each different month for a different hobby so  you don't get forgetful of the craft.

Hobbies aren't a "waste of time" if you learn something , get to be productive, and make someone happy with a unique gift.  If it can pay for itself- all the better.

I'm going home to turn up a couple of baseball bats for some friends 6 year old boys. Light weights they can swing now and some big ones they can hang on the wall 'til they're older.   And they'll be branded as Ludwigville Sluggers and have a lightning bolt too! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

UNCLEBUCK

Those baseball bats sound like alot of fun to make Lud, hope you show some pics from start to finish . That would be fun to look at .  8)

PawNature

Hobbya pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation[/u]
Seriously, I guess my hobby would be my mill and logging equipment cause thats what I do to relax, since my bread and butter comes from my job as an electrician. But then agin my relaxation project can be quit frustin at time but I love the frustration.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

SAW MILLER

My hobbies are....sawmilling,hunting,woodworking...and playing my martin d 35 guitar and singing gospel music.I recorded a C D last year and have been singing quite a bit.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

PawNature

OH NO, a singing saw miller. :D :D :D :D

Just kidding, I love Gospel music

Tom_Averwater

Shooting , Hunting , Woodworking and Sawmilling are a few of my hobbies. I used to teach Scuba Diving. I wish I could find a hobby for my wife .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

woodhick

I would have to say my "main" hobby  would be woodworking.  that's where I got bit by the sawdust bug around 30 years ago. ;D  I try to warn all my friends and coworkers that say they want to start woodworking that if that bug bites hard enough it will turn into a full blown disease. ;)  Between working a full time job (48 hours a week without ot) in the chemical industry and sawmilling on the side there is little time for the woodshop.  The woodworking bug that bit me has called all his buddies in as it seem I spend more time finding and "upgrading" tools that now the old "arn" bug is working on me too, along with trying to design and build some of my machinery. :o  I guess the project I should be working on the most is the bedroom suite that I promised my wife 18 years ago! :o  I did get the bed done last year and hope to get a couple of nightsatnds done before Christmas this year.  What it's almost December 1st :o :o, guess I better get busy.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Lud

Say Sawmiller ,
                           Y'know, I just searched Musical Saws and found several sources.  Think of the irony you could bring to your music, sawing away with a fiddle bow on a good steel saw blade.  Brings a tear to my eye what it might add............ :D :D :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Murf

It used ta' be boatin', before my health went south instead of the DanG boat, had an offshore, a 32' Fountain named "Bikini Bait", but that's a long story......  ;)

I also had a smaller one called "Murphy's Law", another long(er) story ........

I'm also a pilot, so flying's on the list too, but I think that's more of an addiction than a hobby.  ;D

Now it's down to woodworking & metal working mostly. Oh, and working with the doggies.  :)

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Bro. Noble

I still got the same hobbies I have mentioned in the past---------cliff diving,  and telling whoppers ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

PawNature

Yep, skydiving, freehand rock climbing, bungie jumping, deep sea diving. Yep I could sit and watch this stuff all day long.

Murf

There's a sky-diving, errrr, sorry Parachuting School, that operates out of my airport.

They keep telling me to try it, they'll teach me for free, my reply is always the same, "There is absolutely no good reason for stepping out of a perfectly good airplane, and if there's somebody pointing a gun at me, they better know how to fly or they'll have problem after I'm gone.".

Even if the plane is totally kapootski,  I'm still ridin' it on in......  ::)

I like my chances a whole heap better 'dead stick' than as a 'lawn dart' ........   :o

Modat22

If ever you deside to try sky diving I have a few recommendations based on my own experiences.

1. Use the bathroom MANY times right before entering the plane.

2. Eat no heavy foods or foods high in fiber the day or days before the jump.

3. Drink no fluids after 7pm the day before the jump.

4. Skip breakfast and all liquids on the day of the jump.

5. Wear a diaper on the day of the jump.

I've made 5 tandem jumps when I was 25, and I admit its great! but you pretty much lose all muscle control for a bit
remember man that thy are dust.

Murf

Ok, another good set of reasons not to sky dive ...........

:D

beenthere

Finished (will paint or varnish yet) the saw scabbard for the tractor, and it (for the most part  :) if you don't see the one 'goof' ) looks like it will work well and not slip or let the saw fall.

Couple other shots in my gallery.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

UNCLEBUCK

That is quite a excellent idea beenthere and you fastened it to one of the finest brands of tractors too, I cant see no screw up at all except your saw should be all orange  8) :D :D. Sawing with a stihl is so much less vibration for sure . I like your project !  I cant believe all the hobbies everyone has here on the forum .I came down with hermatitis for a few months and cant believe how many new people are on here joining in ! Its all good but I think Bro is grand champion with cliff diving !  :D :D

junkyard

Whittleing Santas for Christmas. Earlier 75 Peachpit bascets for gneices and nephews.  Wizards small animals. walking sticks, pliers. Carved a standing deer on sons rifle stock for him. Walking in my woods, don't do much walking but a lot of sitting
. That is the best place to whittle, the missus don't holler because I left shavings on the floor.
Local history I am the Town of Croghan Historian have been for twenty years.
   Junckyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Thank You Sponsors!