iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why not a carriage to move log, instead of moving head?

Started by A.Riehl, December 15, 2005, 08:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Riehl

Hello all....
We're new here; stumbled across the forum while looking for info about bandmills. Looked at Hud-Son, Norwood, etc. Just bought a homebuilt mill......
Now we're modifying the bandmill to our specific needs, and we're wondering why not to make a carriage that moves the log through the band, instead of moving the head. We don't want the mill to be portable, so it seems everything would be stronger if the head and current track were stationary, and we made a carriage for the log. We cut mostly 8' cedar, but want the saw to have a 10'-12' cutting capacity. Processing after the sawmill includes an edger, a Walling band resaw, and a Mattison 276 moulder.
BTW, we have a planer for sale, but I can't post in the "For Sale" category. Why not? Is it because we're a new member?

A.Riehl
The Cedarwood Co.
www.cedarwoodco.com

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Fourm!

By having the carrage move the log, the mill would have to be at least twice as long as the longest log you intend to saw.   Even if the lenght is no problem, and I've not done the math,  it looks like it'd take a lot more material to build.  It'd for sure take a lot more power to move a carrage and log than to move a sawhead.

Just what I was thinking anyway.  I've never designed a mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ronwood

I would agree with Bibbyman on his comments.  Also welcome to the forum.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

A.Riehl

RE: the track (mill) being at least twice as long as the longest long..... We thought about this and came up with this solution. The log carriage wouldn't have to be as long as the longest log. A 6' carriage would probably hold a 12' log fairly well. That would leave 3' of the log sticking out each end of the carriage. When the carriage is at either end of the track, the log would stick 3' out the end. That would mean we could cut a 12' log with a 20' track, giving us 2' of extra room. 12'(log before going through band)+12' (log after going through band)=24'+2'(extra room)=26'-6'(log 3' past each end)=20' track. We have that kind of room, if the carriage gives us more benefits.

Dan_Shade

if you let 3 feet of a log or cant stick out past the carriage, you may have a lot of problems with thick or thin boards on the ends.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ronwood

A.Riehl,

I see the thick and thin boards also on with my Woodmizer if I don't support the log on the ends. If your cutting cants you might be able to do it. Having the head stationary would be nice for removing the sawdust.

Ron

broker farmer

So, how close to the end of the log does it need to be supported?  Is 6 inches hanging  past  the bed rail too much?  I've thought about making a removable "plate" that I could place underneath that portion of the log that extends past the bed rail.  Would this work?  I seldom ever have a log that fits perfectly over the bed rails.

ronwood

broker farmer,

I generally see if its hanging over by a couple of feet. If I am sawing a cant the I see the problem more when I get to the bottem of the cant. Cant is rather stiff when you start.

Ron

Bibbyman

Quote from: A.Riehl on December 15, 2005, 09:42:31 AM
RE: the track (mill) being at least twice as long as the longest long..... We thought about this and came up with this solution. The log carriage wouldn't have to be as long as the longest log. A 6' carriage would probably hold a 12' log fairly well. That would leave 3' of the log sticking out each end of the carriage. When the carriage is at either end of the track, the log would stick 3' out the end. That would mean we could cut a 12' log with a 20' track, giving us 2' of extra room. 12'(log before going through band)+12' (log after going through band)=24'+2'(extra room)=26'-6'(log 3' past each end)=20' track. We have that kind of room, if the carriage gives us more benefits.

The carrage yes,  but you'll still need track for the carrage to run the full twice distance and then some.  The carrage on my uncles' old circle mill is probably no longer than 12' but the track is probably 40'.  All that takes framework and foundation.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

GHRoberts

It seems that a lot of mills move the log. l include a very poor photo of a band mill with a stationary head that moves the log.

http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/Homepage/RickHearneSupervising.jpg

DanG

Moving the log instead of the head isn't new.  It's the old way of doing things.  Unless I'm wrong, which is a distinct possibility, a stationary head-rig usually cuts vertically, so the slab sagging off the end of the carriage isn't such a problem.

I'm having a hard time coming up with an advantage to moving the log instead of the saw on a small rig. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

GF

The only advantage of moving the log instead of the head I could think of would be the massive size and weight of the head as in the above photo.

PawNature

Seems to me like you are trying to saddle a dead horse....
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Ron Wenrich

There are several advantages to moving the log vs moving the head.  That's why production mills have the log moving through the head, not the head moving through the log.  The vertical setup allows all your waste to drop to a central point and aids in moving.

You also are moving your product downline. There is no need to let your head drag it back or pull it off by hand.  It greatly increases production and lessens worker fatigue.

Log handling can be a lot easier as well.  A good set of downturns can turn a log pretty fast.  But, you must have an adequate dogging system.

As for lengths, I have a 16' carriage and can cut up to 24'.  But, leaving stock hanging over the ends leads to heavy ends due to log spring.  It can be sawn out, but there is a loss  of the previous board.

You have to allow for shim cuts when you saw past your end supports.  A lot of guys don't do this and they end up throwing the board out due to being miscut.

I wouldn't use a 6' carriage, even for 8' logs.  I would want at least a 12' carriage, and would opt for a longer one.  Don't bind yourself up by limiting the length you can cut. 

If I was going to move the log, I would probably opt for a bigger band size. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!