iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gritzzzzzzzz.

Started by thedeeredude, January 08, 2006, 09:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Well, I tried some grits last night.  the best way I can desribe it is you take plain pudding, water it down throw in cornmeal and some dog urine and its good to go :o  It was ok, but not something I'd write home about. 

shopteacher

Ain't that what Penndot spreads on the road for anti skid material?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Don K

If they were prepared up north, then there is a definite difference between northern grits and southern grits.   ;D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

thedeeredude

Why, do they double the percentage of mechanically seperated roadkill down south? :D

CHARLIE

All grits ain't the same!  Instant grits is grits by name  only and is a sacriledge to real grits. It was invented by some Yankee that didn't know any better and was messing where he shouldn't a been a messing.  Quaker grits will suffice if a man can't get good grits but to have good grits it should be water ground.  Dixie Lilly brand is good grits. 

The problem with your conclusion about grits is that we don't know if you even fixed it proper.  Was it a decent brand? Did you put enough salt in it?  Was it the right consistency?  Did you have the proper food to go along with it?

What always has made me chuckle is that while Yanks complain about grits, they eat mush, which is like a cornmeal soup.  Did you know that Palenta is nothing more than grits?

Grits is brain food.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

thedeeredude

I guess to truly try grits, I need to go down south where they make em right.   :)

crtreedude

Yep, them southern's say "Grits are great" - of course as long as you bury them in various stuff - like enough salt and pepper (like empty the shakers) or gravy, or cheese... etc.

That is how they like their vegetables - for example - "Collards are great" as long as you dissolve a pig with them.

Okay you grits lovers - I want to see one of you with a plain bowl of grits - no salt, no pepper - JUST GRITS and eat the things.

ANYTHING edible taste good if you bury it enough in something tasty. 

The problem is, Northerns actually think that they are supposed to taste the grits - Southerners know better and think of them as merely an excuse to pile on the gravy or butter, or...  ::)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Don K

I agree with Charlie. It's all in the preparation. Everybody can't cook grits and I have traveled up to Yankeeland before and thought I was lucky to find some grits, But what I got was Gritzzs. I don't blame ya'll for not liking them either. I sure wouldn't eat them again.  :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'(                 ;D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

isawlogs

I've taken time out to look this up in my dictionnary and ...

Grit ☼ 1.  [stones]  GRAVILLON [in eye ]  poussière [ dust ]  2. [courage ]cran  vt  sabler

I guess one has to have courage , if one eats stone dust and knowing it can get in your eyes

Sabler  ... is to sand ....   So it must polish its way down .

Now this is coming from my French English dictionary , it could be wrong , it has in the past put me in a directio that was not quite wright ...   ;D  
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I was going to just merge this thread and all the other grits threads but then realized we would have to change the name of the whlole DanG Forum. :-\ >:(

;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don K

I guess we could call it the Gritzzz Eporium :D :D :D :D

crtreedude

WH_Conley

Bill

Bro. Noble

Well,  I was going to stay plumb out of this gritz fuss since I'm kinda on the line.  I like them now and again for variety,  but as I've stated before,  I'd druther have spuds.  The only thing that made me decide to put in my two cents here is a helpful hint to you yankees that are having a hard time with your grits.  Now,  maybe I shouldn't say anything cause I've never tried them that way (and don't have any immediate plans to),  but I don't think your supposed to put dog urine in them :o :o :o---------maybe that's part of your problem :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

Marcel, all I can say is that your dictionary must have been written by a foreigner. ;D

Thedeeredude, I know that even in the south you might not get good grits if you order them in a restaurant.  Especially those franchised ones.  I think there are too many Yankee cooks that moved down South and they can't cook good grits.  I've had grits in Florida restaurants that I wouldn't feed to a dog.  They can be ruined by a lousy cook.

CRTREEDUDE, there are many foods that require salt when cooking and grits is one of them.  I bet you put salt in oatmeal.  I bet you put salt in rice.  I bet you put salt in BBQ dry rubs.  I can't imagine anyone not salting any of their food.  So your argument about adding salt is on a false premise.  Also, it's been well documented on the forum that grits is a sidedish much like rice. Do you eat rice without salt or butter or gravy?  I'd love to watch you sit down and eat a bowl of plain rice with nothing on it. No salt.....nothing and tell me how much you enjoyed it.  :o

:)    
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

crtreedude

Nope, I don't eat rice either. I have a rule, if it can't stand on it's own, I don't eat it! Now, a little salt is okay, but I find I have to dump salt on grits to make them edible.

Don't get me wrong - I like salt - I just don't want to have salt with grits...

And I have had rice without salt - leftover rice with butter and sugar mmmmm.....

AND NO you heathen, you don't put salt in oatmeal! How dare you ruin oatmeal that way! Oatmeal to me is really good just roasted a little - but otherwise, just a little brown sugar (and I do mean a little) and perhaps butter.

Here in Costa Rica I have Gallo Pinto (the national disk) without the rice - just the beans with Salsa Lizano, cilantro, cebolla (onions), ajo (garlic), sweet peppers, etc. Fry a few eggs and drop on top.

Harold is learning to eat this stuff - pretty good too!

CHARLIE

I always have to be suspect of words from anyone that don't particularly like coffee and don't like grits or rice. ;D But I'm sure Harold will have you eating grits and wanting more in no time. :o

I hear you about the oatmeal and salt. I got the same lecture from Bothy_Loon about that.  Bothy_Loon wrote me, "Sugar in your porridge!  Na Na thatll no dae. Salt or nothing." :D
So I stand corrected about oatmeal.......but I'll continue to ruin mine with salt. ;)
Charlie

crtreedude

Charlie,

Coffee for me is life-blood. I have my own expresso maker and burr-grinder.

The sad thing is that my wife does like grits and serves them sometimes - and if you bury them deep enough, you don't even have to know they are there...

And her family has been yankees for 350 years - I thought I was safe.  :o

CHARLIE

:)You obviously married a fine person with a great taste in foods. ;D
Charlie

crtreedude

I solved the problem here - we have a full-time cook, who thinks grits are something we feed to the pigs...

isawlogs

The northern Grits spreader  ;) :) :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

IMERC

Quote from: thedeeredude on January 08, 2006, 09:19:19 AM
  It was ok, but not something I'd write home about. 

BUT YOU DID!!!!!!!
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on January 08, 2006, 10:41:05 AM
Well,  I was going to stay plumb out of this gritz fuss since I'm kinda on the line.  I like them now and again for variety,  but as I've stated before,  I'd druther have spuds.  The only thing that made me decide to put in my two cents here is a helpful hint to you yankees that are having a hard time with your grits.  Now,  maybe I shouldn't say anything cause I've never tried them that way (and don't have any immediate plans to),  but I don't think your supposed to put dog urine in them :o :o :o---------maybe that's part of your problem :D :D :D

You Sir.... Owe me a new keyboard, heck Ive been laffin for 30 minutes!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

IMERC

Quote from: CHARLIE on January 08, 2006, 10:18:25 AM
Instant grits is grits by name  only and is a

great pesticide. sprinkle some where ants and roaches can get to them. POOF! or would that be POP! they're history

crtreedude

See! See! that is why you don't eat grits - they is poison!

thedeeredude

Modat22

I like gritz that have been cooked with a shot a whiskey and a good supply of honey added prior to eating.

The leftovers are great for gluing wall paper back on the wall, dumping under a slipping tire in the driveway. Or killing unwanted birds as they eat their fill, drink water and explode.
remember man that thy are dust.

thedeeredude

What is in gritz, the real ingredients, anyway? 

Burlkraft

Here in Wisconsin....we make our gritz from tasty bits of ground up cheese soaked in beer 8) 8) 8) 8)

DanG....They are gooood too smiley_divide smiley_divide smiley_divide smiley_divide
Why not just 1 pain free day?

CHARLIE

Thedeeredude, grits is made from ground corn. The best grits is waterground using stone grinding wheels.  And that is what amuses me. Yanks eat mush without a second thought and that is ground corn. Italians eat Palenta and that is basically grits. :D  So I reckon if we named grits some highfalootin name, Yanks would trample each other to get some. But I like it that some Yanks don't eat grits 'cause it leaves more for us people that know and enjoy good food. :)
Charlie

Modat22

yum! Corn mush and maple syrup!! :)

IMERC

Quote from: crtreedude on January 09, 2006, 07:29:00 AM
See! See! that is why you don't eat grits - they is poison!

not poison.
bugs and critters of the like eat that instant crap. it swells up in their tummies and on a quiet night it sounds like somebuddy is making popcorn.
good think to consider if you have youngin's and pets.

IMERC

Quote from: thedeeredude on January 09, 2006, 09:47:10 AM
What is in gritz, the real ingredients, anyway? 

ground corn

IMERC

Well, I tried some grits last night..........

you musta got them at the Waffle House

crtreedude

CAREFUL! Don't drink any water! You might exploded!

Trying to be helpful down here.

IMERC

Quote from: Burlkraft on January 09, 2006, 12:09:36 PM
Here in Wisconsin....we make our gritz from tasty bits of ground up cheese soaked in beer 8) 8) 8) 8)

DanG....They are gooood too smiley_divide smiley_divide smiley_divide smiley_divide

you'd just have to know that recioe would be coming from a cheesehead.

Modat22

A small smoked lizard makes a really fine meal.

IMERC

Quote from: Modat22 on January 09, 2006, 02:23:45 PM
A small smoked lizard makes a really fine meal.

takes too many. use a large one instead.

crtreedude

Harold was introduced to the concept of a large lizard this weekend - we occassionally have problems with iguanas eating chickens

Like 6 foot iguanas.

IMERC

now I can't remember if it's the ones with spots or the ones with stripes that ya leave alone.

Modat22

Me thinks the lizards are restless today.

IMERC

Quote from: Modat22 on January 09, 2006, 03:10:45 PM
Me thinks the lizards are restless today.

Naw........  Jeff's 3rd pot of coffee just kicked in...........

thurlow

Okay...............I surrender, I give, UNCLE already;  within my circle, I'm generally able to hold my own, but I'm clearly out of my league here.  Guess I'll have to go back to Class A, or maybe slow pitch.............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

IMERC

Quote from: thurlow on January 09, 2006, 03:34:25 PM
Okay...............I surrender, I give, UNCLE already;  within my circle, I'm generally able to hold my own, but I'm clearly out of my league here.  Guess I'll have to go back to Class A, or maybe slow pitch.............

you quitting so soon?????

thurlow

No, no, no, no :D; just impressed by the level of.............well, whadda-ya-callit...........

IMERC

Quote from: thurlow on January 09, 2006, 04:10:44 PM
.............well, whadda-ya-callit...........

no idea.

but Moon pies are much better than lizards of any color... gooey or not...

Paschale

Ever eaten a creamy bowl of gooey pies?   :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

IMERC

left it dipped in the milk too long.... wasn't bad...

IMERC

Well, I tried some corn crib floor sweepins last night.

sounds like sombuddy fergot to sort / sift out the mouse droppings. watch that in future and yur good to go.

unless ya "need" the extra fiber....

Modat22

snozberries snozberries
the musical fruit
the more you eat
the more trees of extraordinary size one finds in the woods and makes a million dollars....... 8) 8)

G.R.I.T.S!!! danG text sub......

Lud

My wife was born in Northern Italy and she makes a fine polenta.  Won't she be surprised to find out she has been doing gourmet Snozberries!

She'll  do a shrimp in brown gravy over the polenta-  sort of a Shrimp Etoufee ala Snozberries! 8)

Do you cut Snozberries with dental floss like she does her polenta?  Or are they wetter?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Skytramp

Carful thar, someone above this Mason Dixon line that runs through my backyard, could, I say could, quite possably mistake fig neutons for G-R-I-T-Z  and then all H-- would break loose;
Skytramp;

Just trying to head off a catastrophy.
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

Modat22

someone is really looking for something to do today...  :D

grits grits

Jeff

Suddenly this thread has gone from another boring pickled porcupine poo testimonial to some down right good smile provokin readin! I recommend it from the begining!

Disclaimer:

At some point this thread will revert to its old boring pickled porcupine poo theme. :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Modat22

this is all a conspiracy to give grits a bad name and gritty reputation.

Murf

Looks like some sort of mid-year "it's gotta hold me till Yooper night" kinda silly-bration.  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

sawman

B ack to the grits. This morning I took my wife out to breakfast for her birthday. She wanted to go to Cracker Barrel in Cape Girardeau, MO>
  We went and lo and behold there on the breakfast menu items grits was included with their specials.
  Well I thought about it for awhile and I thought to self, there sure is a lot of discussion and debate about these grits on the forum, think i'll have to try em.
  Well I tried em, and i like em. Watched wifey do hers and she put three little paks of sugar on hers and stirred it in ever so gently, and I did the same.
  Only thing I got to say about grits is they are GOOD. IMHO
  Just remember this is the first grits I ever ate in my 46 years.

A new grits convert.

GO GRITS  ;D ;D :D :D
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

thurlow

Quote from: sawman on January 14, 2006, 01:35:13 PM
B ack to the grits. This morning I took my wife out to breakfast for her birthday. She wanted to go to Cracker Barrel in Cape Girardeau, MO>
Well...............I've eaten at several Cracker Barrels numerous times.   They project themselves as folksy/down home (Uncle Hershel's breakfast/SAWMILL gravy.  I have found the food to be........mostly..........acceptable and they're always right there beside the interstate.  But, have you ever tried the "homemade" chicken and dumplings?  If those things are homemade, the cook should receive 40 lashes with a wet noodle.  I've had homemade (even made them myownself) chicken and dumplings;  believe me,  that a'int them...........................

woodbowl

Watched wifey do hers and she put three little paks of sugar on hers and stirred it in ever so gently, and I did the same.

A new grits convert.
GO GRITS 

Don't understand ........ just don't understand!
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

sawman

Watched wifey do hers and she put three little paks of sugar on hers and stirred it in ever so gently, and I did the same.

A new grits convert.

GO GRITS  ;D ;D :D :D

Should have read, (watched her put three little paks of sugar in her grits and she stirred it in) etc.

smiley_blush smiley_blush :-[ :-[ ::)

Guess I better watch how I type things eh?
OH well, me n her got a good laugh off dat one.

WARNING:  DO NOT HAVE ANY DRINKS NEAR YOU WHEN READING THINGS ON THIS SITE   KEYBOARDS CAN BE IRREPABLY(sp) DAMAGED

:D :D :D
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Kirk_Allen

I was introduced to Grits by my Grandparents when I was 6 years old.  Gramps said you got to eat them.  There good for you and they support the farm.

Didnt quite no what that meant till the last road trip to south.  While cutting with Tom, his customer,Mr. Billy got to talking about Grits.  Said the first time he had them he loved them.  Had a local dinner that had them all the time and just had to know where they got them they was so good.  Finally he asked.  PARIS, Illinois!   :o  

Well that just happens to be 12 miles east of my place. The grain elevator in town is known by ALL farmers in these parts.  Now I got to go down there and see about picking up a 50lb bag of fresh Illinois GRITS!   8)  Had no idea they packaged grits at that mill.  

Man, Im getting HUNGGGGREEEEE just thinking about it.   8)

GO GRITZ!  Support the American Farmer!  

Thank You Sponsors!