iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I didn't like that movie at all...

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 18, 2006, 10:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA-Sawyer

rebocardo,
That movie was called " The High and the Mighty" John Wayne was actually the co-pilot and Robert Stack was the pilot. I was a major breach or protocol for him to slap the pilot as he did. I liked the movie as well, but as a pilot, it had a lot of aviation flaws.
VA-Sawyer

Flyboy

:) Yeah but "The Duke" did it cause Stack was stressin out and probably needed slappin.
I thought JW set up for a pretty good landing, considering.
The saddest excuse for a flick I've seen is "Walk The Line". The "Dork" that played JC made him out to be a Doped up drunk that had about as much ambition as a tree stump :-[ Reese on the other hand did a fine job as June. To me: Jonny Cash was, is and will always be an American Icon. The workin mans hero. I think if God has a voice it sounds like Jonny Cash ;)
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

Weekend_Sawyer

Ah... Flyboy, I read 2 autobiographical books by Johnny Cash and he admits to being a doped up drunk for quite a long time, gives June all the credit for saving his life. I really like his music, havn't seen the movie yet.

Really liked Second Hand Lions. The other guy was Michael Caine
I had to look up autobiographical, got it right the first time 8)
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Tillaway

Whats eating Gilbert Grape is a good Depp movie.  How about, Waking Ned Devine, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and I have even seen "Quadrophenia" for your obscure British Films.  I have actually seen quite a few British films for some reason my wife and I really enjoy them.

Kelly's Heroes is one I can watch over and over for some strange reason, it drives the family nuts.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Max sawdust

Sorry guys ::) ::) We like Charlie, the kid likes to watch it.  No swearing or killing, good morals about if you are a snot you will pay for it the poor kid wins 8) and family sticks together and the poor kid gets Charlie to visit his dad.  All positive stuff.

Yes his Depps character is wierd, first thing that came to my wife and I;s mind was Jackson :o  But the songs to reminded us of Queen or ? some Brit rock band.

Someone mentioned Sleepy Hollow that is our faviorite Depp movie.  I guess I like him cause he can act, even if you do not like the character that he was cast in.

I will keep my opinion about the late mister Wayne to myself :-X :-X
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

pigman

Quote from: VA-Sawyer on January 18, 2006, 08:11:05 PM
rebocardo,
was a major breach or protocol for him to slap the pilot as he did. I liked the movie as well, but as a pilot, it had a lot of aviation flaws.
VA-Sawyer
I think that is the reason I have never been able to watch any of the antivietnam war movies, Platoon, Hamburger Hill and the rest. I keep seeing all the flaws in the language, uniforms, terrain and can't enjoy the movie. I know it is just entertaiment, but I can't seem to think of it in that way. I was near by and had friends that were involved in in the real Hamber Hill and it was nothing like shown in the movie. I have a friend that has a brother who wrote a book about his experiences in RVN and was a "technical" expert on one of the movies. When he pointed out any of the flaws they just ignored him and did it their way. ::)   Any time a person sees a movie about a subject or career that he knows something about I suppose he will notice all the flaws. :(
I liked "Gone With the Wind" .  I wonder if that movie was completely accurate in every way it portrayed the  " Grits War." ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Flyboy

;) I read a book on Johny Cash too, He DID have his problems with drugs and alcohol, agreed. The point I was trying to make was that He was a lot MORE than what was portrayed in the movie. And Yes, thanks to June He got sober, before it was the cool thing to do. I just didn't think that particular movie did him justice.
I don't care much for flicks that aren't as old as I am :D
Copper, Bogart, Cagney, Edward G, Jimmy Stewart, The Duke and even Moe, Larry, and Curley Joe, their all gone. I'd like to spend a day limmin big hemlock in 3' a snow with Depp or Brad Armpitt for that matter. At least Johny Cash worked in a sawmill ;D
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

Part_Timer

The thing I like the most about the John Wayne movies is that I know if the kids are watching them that i don't have to worry about what is in them.  If someone smarts off to a woman they get smacked.  The way it ought ot be.  They realy like Hitari (spelling)  My daughter thinks it is just crazy to chase a rhino with a jeep.  But she also thinks it looks like fun.   

I liked second hand lions also. We (family)also liked Hidalco
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

sawguy21

S-D, Papillon has to be one of my all time favourite movies. I get bored with most of them but McQueen and Hoffman were memorable. Another good one was "The Verdict" with Paul Newman and Debra Winger.
I turn off anyting with improbable violence and stupid car chase themes which seem to cover a lot these days. Give me a good drama with some feeling.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

clif

I don't watch many movies at all, but I sure liked Second Hand Lion!!!
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

Tom

Corley5

Ya! Michael Caine :) :D  Really liked the ending with the helicopter, plane stuck in barn, and yacht on the pond  ;D 8)  Just a good clean fun movie
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

VA-Sawyer

Quote from: Flyboy on January 18, 2006, 09:06:47 PM
;)  I'd like to spend a day limmin big hemlock in 3' a snow with Depp or Brad Armpitt for that matter. At least Johny Cash worked in a sawmill ;D

Now you're just dreaming.... no way one of the overpaid screen jockeys would work up a real sweat.  Mmmmm...on second thought, not dreaming, just crazy. Why would you want them there ? So they can stand around and let you do all the work ?  If I was going to dream about having useless help on a jobsite, you can bet I would at least dream FEMALE !

flyboy -  I didn't say that Stack didn't deserve the slap, just said it was a major breach of the chain of command. Stack was a 'by the book' pilot and JW was more of a 'seat of the pants' flyer. The BTB guy works better in the system on a day to day basis, but the SOTP pilot may be the better choice at the controls after the poop has hit the fan. Been there and proved it!

pigman - I have that problem with a lot of movies and TV shows too. Funny thing,' Airplane' was way out there as far as aviation flaws went, but I think it is funnier for pilots than it is to most people.

VA-Sawyer

Button

Personally I like anything even remotely related to action, guns, pretty ladies, sci fi, pirates and of coarse logging. I am surprised nobody mentioned "guns of the timberland" I love it when those big trees fall. Enjoy
66 timberjack 230
394xp
365 special x 2
woodmaster
the rabbits may outrun the skidder but the saw will catch up to the tree

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tillaway on January 18, 2006, 08:47:08 PM
Kelly's Heroes is one I can watch over and over for some strange reason, it drives the family nuts.

Must be Clint :D  8)

For some reason I keep watching 'The Gauntlet'  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

IL Bull

One of my more recent favorites is Open Range with Kevin Cosner and Robert DeVall (sp?).  I also enjoyed Second Hand Lions.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

SwampDonkey

I have both those movies also, they're pretty decent.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Faron

I really liked Second Hand Lions too.  Open Range was ok.  Duvall is hard to beat.  I really liked him as Gus McCray in Lonesome Dove. Anyone see that new western movie- something about a mountain?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Jeff

I would probably have wanted to see that if it were not for the latenight show comments night after night about it. :-\  Not real interested in seeing a gay cowboy movie.   If you watch the trailers for it though, it looks like it would be a good flick to see, but I think I'll pass.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Weekend_Sawyer

Silverado, bunch of not quite stars and somewhat stars
Brian Denahe
Scott Glenn
Kevin Klein (Whatever happened to that dog)
Danny Glover
Kevin Cosner
and more
I'm sure I didn't spell all their names correctly.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

Kevin Kline was in 'A  Fish Called Wanda' with Jamie Lee Curtis , John Cleese and Michael Palin. :D

HE was in WILD WILD WEST with Will Smith too :D

He's gonna be in the new Pink Panther

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000177/

Modat22

Charlie and the coco factory did one thing I was happy about and that was it followed the book almost perfectly except for a couple updates.

Johnny depp was almost exactly like Michael Jackson IMO and that scared me a bit.

My all time favorite movies are. Fierce creatures which basaically had the same main cast as "A fish called wonda". Young Frankenstein, the holy grail, The princes bride, and the matrix movies. Followed by harry potter movies (books where much much better).
remember man that thy are dust.

Jodi

It's pretty hard to beat the Holy Grail movies.  ;D

DMax

I didn't see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because I know it won't compare to the original Gene Wilder version.

If you have the free time watch Cool Hand Luke

Thank You Sponsors!