The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Tending your little piece of earth  (Read 44677 times)

Offline Klunker

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Tending your little piece of earth
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2019, 09:45:06 PM »
Maybe 3 deer in 10 square miles here. ;) The deer love the lily beds in flower gardens, but not enough deer at my place to worry about. The coyotes yip here most every night, and of course the neighborhood dogs have to answer back. :D
Your lucky, we have around 25/sq mile.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2019, 04:41:09 PM »
Those are cool.  Don't recall ever seeing any.  Are they a northern thing...?  If deer love them that might be the reason I don't see them.  I will be on the look out though.  thanks   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2019, 05:12:23 PM »
Banjo,

I think there are subspecies all over the continent, info from searching Google.
Move'n on.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2019, 04:32:58 AM »
Things to take notice of in the wood pile. ;)

Here are a fir and a tamarack. Both taken from managed forest (ie the woodlot), but specifically trees were spaced some time ago.

Fir........... Notice two rings to the width of my index finger, still respectable growth.

tamarack ......... double the growth of the fir, if not a little more.

Definitely can grow 2 or 3 times the wood in the same time frame when you thin. Trees are much healthier to. Too bad tamarack wasn't 'the' money tree. :D I only planted them for firewood, they are dandy firewood to. But, I wouldn't want them too big, I hate splitting them. The old Collins just wants to bounce. Fir in comparison isn't even work to split. :D
Move'n on.

Offline dustyhoosier78

• not yet
    • Share Post
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2020, 08:35:24 PM »
I have read this entire post a few times I enjoy hearing about the different species of trees. I have 43 acres in Indiana and love managing my piece of earth. I am mostly thinning maples and oaks, keep up the post. 

Offline wisconsitom

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2020, 10:53:34 AM »
We're currently thinning young stands (6 years from establishment from seedlings/plug stock) of Norway spruce, white pine, red pine, and hybrid larch.  We're going up to just past head-height at this stage and will eventually prune up to approx. 16 feet on all softwood species.  We're not looking to necessarily harvest all of this stuff, but we do want to thin it properly as it grows.  In particular, we're going to have the opportunity to do significant thinning in the larch blocks within the next 5 to 10-year time-frame.  At some point in the near future, we may wish to take out every other row!  But that's not where we are now.  We're just raising up lower limbs and culling any small trees that have been overtopped, etc.

I must say, I simply love the look of our blocks after we raise up/thin.  We're also having to un- bury small spruce and pine plastered down to the ground by heavy, wet snow.  

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2020, 02:55:14 PM »
A little video of what has been going on at the woodlot this spring. Right now, the firewood is just from trail cutting. Then I'll have 3 or 4 years to thin out more firewood. I'm working on a ~5 acre section. I may have to cut 2 more cords, that will also come from trail cutting.

Move'n on.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2020, 08:53:49 PM »
Nice video. You have some wood to pick up. I did notice the lack of eastern white pine. I have a lot of old fields too. But mine have big rocks in it. Your land looks level, nice piece to get around on. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2020, 03:28:01 AM »
I have a few pine that I planted, but sparcely. The moose, bugs and rust kill most of them or make them junk. :D

Yes, flat ground and very few stones on the surface. But
any digging will pull a few up. Course, on this old farm they picked them off the top already and dumped them in piles at the edge of the old field. The piles are small because this field was not a large one. One of them fields I like to call a small patch. :D

I will be going up this morning and cutting some more trail wood. Probably that 2 cords. Nice and cool and overcast, gotta wear the bug armour. :D
Move'n on.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2020, 03:46:33 AM »
Really no moose to do damage here, just the deer. I have at least 2 good size piles of rock around here. I have been hauling that up into the bogs, as needed. Hauled off 2 stone walls into the bog all ready. These are not boundary walls. I am working on a truck road now. Trying to level one part up now. A good layer of rock and a layer of gravel will make it better. Like to see the low stumps too. Easier on tires too. Hard on bar and chains. :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2020, 03:49:16 AM »
Can be hard on chain, but cheaper than equipment damage. Most anything ya break is going to cost ya $1000 min in my experience. ;) :D
Move'n on.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2020, 03:52:59 AM »
Just think @thecfarm  , 200 years ago some poor schmuck and his 12 kids, for 3 generations hauled those rocks by horse and wagon up out of the bog to build a wall...  do not feel bad.  :D :D :D
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2020, 04:08:34 AM »
Yes Doc, they did work hard. Without them working so hard I would have no way to get across that bog without wet feet.  :D 
This wall was by the driveway,only about 20-40 feet away. All gone now.

Than this picture is of the bog. The ones on the left are almost 2 feet high.

This must be about 200 feet long, than a good size hill, with springs on that hill that keep the bog full of water. There are some over 3 feet nigh in there. Many trips with a forwarder drove the rocks down into the bog. Now I have a road that is high in the middle and low on the sides. Another coating of rocks is taking place.  ;D 

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2020, 09:52:09 AM »
I have some wet places I would like to do that to, but I have zero rocks....if you want rock you have to come off that pocket book.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »
Banjo, corduroy it with some smaller pine like the old timers. Leave some stubs on one side of the posts to drive toward the mud so them posts don't roll. ;D I have some spots to corduroy, all kinds of small spruce to throw on and not far to go with it. ;)
Move'n on.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2020, 11:07:10 AM »
That road across the bog was corduroyed.  I think it's about 4 feet under rock now. There use to be fields up on top of the hill. Levels out when I get on top of the hill. 

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2020, 01:18:29 PM »
There were portions of an area called the great black swamp in NW Ohio. At one time before it was drained grew some of the largest oak trees on the planet .It starts about 2-3 miles north of me and goes north about 100 miles to Lake Erie .In the years since it was drained they have dug up white oak logs used to build the corduroy  roads in times past .Some had sank 8 to 10 feet under the ground .They say it was infested with mosquitoes which evidently like the migrating birds are still in plentiful  supply at times .

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2020, 01:31:47 PM »
I've seen old corduroy in the rain forest on the British Columbia coast, some used to haul wood on with skid sleds. :)
Move'n on.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2020, 01:59:15 PM »
I did put down some slabs,  but with nothing anchoring them down....when a wagon of logs hits them they move.  Banjo

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Any experts on Piece-en-Piece log construction? (Short Logs)

Started by eddiebo on Timber Framing/Log construction

37 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 11:42:27 AM
by Jay C. White Cloud
xx
Timber frame / piece on piece

Started by bic on Timber Framing/Log construction

10 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 03:53:24 PM
by witterbound
xx
Solar tending a 12v battery pack.

Started by Dave Shepard on General Board

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 10:01:46 PM
by ChopperDan
xx
Mill Purchase problems (long and tending to rant)

Started by Furu on Sawmills and Milling

64 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 12:15:04 AM
by barbender