The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Stihl saws are tough , A story from my youth  (Read 1938 times)

Offline hilux

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Stihl saws are tough , A story from my youth
« on: March 09, 2006, 07:38:11 PM »
  When I was a kid about 9 or 12 in that range my Dad worked for Weyerhauser , well every day instead of bringing in there saws they would hide them behing trees or any other good hiding place well one day my Dad  hid his Stihl chainsaw behind a very big tree and that knight there was big wind storm and the tree fell over and buried the saw , well with all the trees that fell over my dad could not find the tree that he hid his saw near  , well fast forward  2 or three years my dad had the idea that we would go up and look for the saw well the family went up there Mom Dad and my brother and we spent the day looking for the tree an we found  it , we dug up the saw and found the gas can to , they were both upside down the saw still had a full tank of gas the gas can was still full , well here is the kicker my Dad tried to start the saw and three pulls later it fired off it only ran for about a minute then shut off , we still have the saw and the gas can. this was the early  to mid 80,s,  the saw is   up in the shop on a shelf and its a tank . this was in Coos county Oregon.     I sent the story to Stihl but I never heard back from them.

Offline Onthesauk

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning!
    • Share Post
Re: Stihl saws are tough , A story from my youth
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 09:51:32 PM »
Have heard old logger up in our area talk about leaving a saw out at night, getting a coupe feet of snow and not finding it for several months.  Nothing but Stihl around here and they swear they would start right up.

Have also heard the story, (second hand,) of old loggers who would leave their saw out in the woods at night.  When really cold, they would pour a little gas over them, light it and let it burn off.  Warmed the saw up, made them easy starting.  True or not?  Can't tell you.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Dont attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 11:35:43 PM »
......Have also heard the story, (second hand,) of old loggers who would leave their saw out in the woods at night.  When really cold, they would pour a little gas over them, light it and let it burn off.  Warmed the saw up, made them easy starting.  True or not?  Can't tell you.

Probably was true, but the saw was a two-man crosscut maybe   ;D ;D 8)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 07:25:10 AM »
My father would take his old homlite in the woods,build a small fire,and put a small piece of steel roofing on the fire,than put the saw on top of that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 08:43:54 AM »
More than one logger put his saw on the snowbank beside the fire during lunch and needed a new one for the afternoon. :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 11:30:26 AM »
A customer of mine has two boys who "lost" his new Stihl in the swamp when they were cutting cypress.  They just went off and forgot it. It was sitting on a stump.  Not thinking of it for a couple of days they decided that it had been stolen from the back of the truck.   

Two years later, they were in the same swamp, cutting cypress, and there was the saw.   They took it back to the house, filled it with gasoline and it fired right up.  It wasn't hurt at all.

There's some good saws out there.

I have a Husky that has lived in the open, on the back of my truck, since 1993 and I'm not looking to replace it.  Electronic ignitions went a long way toward making little engines dependable.
extinct

Offline alderman

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 12:25:22 PM »
I've got an old Homelite xl-12 my father in law found in the woods when he was working for Crown Zellerbach 35 years ago.  Apparently somebody walked off and left it while stealing firewood.  It still runs and I crank her up from time to time for old times sake.  I'm getting a bit more cautious in my old age as I don't really like running a saw without a chain brake. ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Introduction and Stihl 028 story

Started by kylerayk on Chainsaws

11 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 06:31:21 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
A funny story about by Stihl dealer

Started by George Zarifis on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2016, 04:19:28 PM
by George Zarifis
xx
What's the story with the Stihl 440 (production/availability)?

Started by AlwaysLimbLeft on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2013, 10:51:09 AM
by JohnG28
xx
Stihl saws

Started by mainiac on Chainsaws

19 Replies
Last post December 03, 2006, 10:23:06 AM
by treecyclers