Sponsors:

DanG-DeadHeader Log Lifter

Started by getoverit, February 21, 2006, 12:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

Does Loading-Arch account @ FF dot com take PayPal..  ???  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

DanG

Harold, I think most of the pics of your loader are archived with the others that were posted before we each had our own gallery.  I think you can transfer them to your gallery if you can find'em.

I guess you and I will always be at odds on the block/no block question, eh? :D :D  All I can suggest is that folks try it both ways and go with the one they like best. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Here's all the pictures I could find in the archives in the log loading gallery.  The first is Fla.-Deadheaders.  The sport-model ..model.. is Ed, AKA Swampy.

These are of DanG's

LedlieLogs

Thanks Tom and the rest of you guys. Now it is much easier to understand. You know those of us that can't read need a picture to fully understand.
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

solodan

Tom,
Thanks for posting them pics. 8)  I had seen those before but then could not find them when I looked in Harolds gallery a while back. I understand it way better now, and now I will build one. I still may buy a log truck with a loader though. :)  I Asked some guy yesterday if he wanted to sell his self loader short logger, I thought he would say no , but than he said "Yeah I think I might want to buy a new one anyway" Now I am racking my brain trying to figure out what I want to do. :-\

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, we been at odds since day one  ::) ::) :D :D :D :D

Just wanted to give strukshuns on the way WE had used our 2 arches.

Not saying one is better,  ::) , BUT, there MAY be an even better way  :o

Solodan =  ::) ::) ::) ::)  That there's a joke, Son, I say, a JOKE.  :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on April 26, 2007, 04:40:34 PM

DanG, we been at odds since day one  ::) ::) :D :D :D :D

DanG, Harold!  That's the second time you've agreed with me this month.  You ok?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Naah. I'm just waitin to see how long it takes for YOU to agree with Me.
::) ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Shucks, I'm an agreeable chap.  I'm just waitin' for you to be right. ;D

Furby

Quote from: DanG on April 26, 2007, 10:21:40 AM
I think you can transfer them to your gallery if you can find'em.
I wouldn't try anything like that without checking with Jeff first, I belive it would create a real mess. ;)

Max sawdust

Thanks everyone!

I was thinking knuckleboom but $$$ and the added weight on the trailer with my small truck makes it just a dream and not sensible for moving 2-5 high end sawlogs at a time.

I need one of these log lifters.

I don't have a welder so thinking of making it of threaded pipe ???  Seems like the DanG and the Deadheader style both have advantages.

How about unloading?
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Fla._Deadheader

DO NOT USE THREADS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are a very weak place and will hurtcha BAD . Scrounge Aluminum cans and sell them, so you can have a welder do it right.  8) ;D ;D ;D  SERIOUSLY, threads will break .

We have one to sell in Sebastian. It was shown in the above thread. Works great on a smaller trailer  ;) ;) :) :)

Wanna travel  ??? 8) 8) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Max sawdust

Thanks for the warning :o ::)
WI to FL with gas prices being at $3 a gallon would add up, otherwise I would be on it ;)  I have access to some channel stock like on the DanG model, but I kinda like the round stock on the Deadheader model.

So Thinks I will find someone that can weld fer cheap ;D

Thanks again for the word of warning..
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D  Problem with Channel is, it can twist. DanG found that out. If it's heavy enough to not twist, YOU can't lift it. 

That's why I chose 2" Pipe. 2" Rigid Conduit is the same stuff  ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Max sawdust

2" pipe it is ;D
(That was an easy sell after looking at the pics of each log loader closely ;))
max
True Timbers

Fla._Deadheader

For unloading, You can reverse the way you load, by snubbing the cable onto a log partway up onto the trailer, OR, back up to something heavy, like a Big truck, or tree, and hook a log to it and drive away.

We had the Bolsters on the trailer removable, so we could roll the logs off sideways or use a Boom-forklift, whatever.
   First, it is ridiculed;

LedlieLogs

I use the tree method. Quick and easy. I back up to a certain tree in the log yard. I have a snatch block about seven feet up in the tree. I run the cable from the winch to the log on the trailer and pull it off. It is much faster unloading than loading. Then you can run get another load.

Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

LedlieLogs

Is what I mean to say is, that I run the cable from the winch to the block in the tree to the log and then unload her. Works great. Not my design, I just copy it. 8)
Ledlie

Max sawdust

Thanks for the idea's ;D
Got a long road trip today, so this gives me somtin to ponder ;)
max
True Timbers

LittleB

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on May 03, 2007, 08:37:24 PM

Can you weld the 2" pipe using a flux mig welder like the 90 amp ones they sell at Harbor Freight?

Fla._Deadheader

I used a Miller 140 wire welder w/gas. Never could get flux wire to work well. This was also 9 years ago, so, flux wire might be better, now.

I just built one out of wood, and, loaded some pretty heavy logs, down here. Hooked up my Handy-dandy Boat Super Winch. Worked well enough to impress the natives.   ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

LittleB

Thanks for the reply Fla._Deadheader.

I don't have a trailer but want to make something like this to get the logs into my F-250's pickup bed.  Since you said round pipe was the way to go, I figured I'd use that as a foundation.

Has anyone made one of these for a pickup truck? 

So far, the best idea I've come up with is to make some type of  2" pipe frame that can be used to support the log being pulled towards the truck and then up (Kind of like a heavy duty ladder rack). At that point, maybe I could release the weight from the line and pull it the rest of the way in by disconnecting the pulley closest to (and above) the tailgate. Then it could be pulled the rest of the way to the front of the bed.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread...I've learned a lot from it.

snowstorm

Quote from: LittleB on April 15, 2011, 08:16:05 PM
Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on May 03, 2007, 08:37:24 PM

Can you weld the 2" pipe using a flux mig welder like the 90 amp ones they sell at Harbor Freight?
no     if ya want a nice mig a miller 175 any of them with gas dont work well outside. if price is an issue why not find a used stick welder. if its ac only buy some 7018ac rods if the steel is clean 6011 for rust

thecfarm

I don't want to start the stick,gas,flux core debate again,but I have a Lincoln SP-175T flux core,wired 220 and have made a woods trailer,welded on my winch and many other things and have not broke a weld yet. I even made a rock carrier with my other welder that only used 110 current. That has held up too. I am surprised I had not broke a weld on that yet.I have thrown alot of rocks into that thing.Reason I use flux core because all my welding is done outside.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodwalker

Quote from: LittleB on April 15, 2011, 09:24:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Fla._Deadheader.

I don't have a trailer but want to make something like this to get the logs into my F-250's pickup bed.  Since you said round pipe was the way to go, I figured I'd use that as a foundation.

Has anyone made one of these for a pickup truck? 

So far, the best idea I've come up with is to make some type of  2" pipe frame that can be used to support the log being pulled towards the truck and then up (Kind of like a heavy duty ladder rack). At that point, maybe I could release the weight from the line and pull it the rest of the way in by disconnecting the pulley closest to (and above) the tailgate. Then it could be pulled the rest of the way to the front of the bed.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread...I've learned a lot from it.

Years ago we use to "Headache poles up to 40' long on one ton trucks rigged with oilfield type beds with A- frames and winch. I'm not sure a ladder rack is going to work. Height of the rack at the rear of the truck is going to be one problem and then the weight of the logs on the rear of the bed is another.
It will work, but you are going to need a flatbed, headache rack, winch, gin poles and a rolling tail board would help
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Thank You Sponsors!