The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Basswood drying?  (Read 5022 times)

Offline 9shooter

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Basswood drying?
« on: April 16, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »
I felled a big basswood for a friend on Sat. There are 5-6 logs 3+ ft to 1 ft. dia. I plan on sawing then into cants at least, and am wondering how to dry them. I have heard that basswood stains and am wondering if there is a way to retard or prevent that. Do you air dry it first? will anchorseal help prevent stain? I know wood carvers like the stuff. How does one make carving blocks and prevent cracking? I will keep some for myself for future boat building plans. I am waiting for some pictures we took. I killed a fox squirrel when the tree dropped. Apparently hit the squirrel when the top brushed an adjacent walnut tree. I wonder if the DNR will confiscate my saw for hunting out of season? :D
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: Basswood drying?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 06:35:26 PM »
Stack it in a shed with good air flow and keep it off the floor. If your making turning blanks don't use the pith/juvenile wood and you should have stable wood. I've carved with air dry basswood off the farm and the wood never checked. I think basswood is very stable. My grandma's butter bowl never cracked and it was second hand when she got it. A butterbowl is used to wash and mix salt in your churned butter.
Move'n on.

Offline Ga_Boy

• Senior Member x2
  • Been rode hard and hung up wet; more than once.
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 06:51:07 PM »
I just dried about 800 BF for the local wood carvers club, I mixed it with some 8/4 Yellow Poplar.  The Bass Wood and Poplar was all green off the saw.  It dried in 14 days using the Poplar schedule.   
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Offline 9shooter

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 11:19:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply's. It sounds like I can cut it into cants and then figure out what to do from there. I guess all I really need is a new Peterson and a kiln.  ;D What have you guy's sold basswood for? If I could figure out the marketing end of things, I could justify getting that mill and kiln(s). I've got logs piling up and they're really starting to bug me. I guess I have the disease. I have several potential customers waiting to see if I jump into the logging/lumber business. Marketing is the only thing that bothers me. I would sure hate to make the investment and have to listen to the wife complain if lumber starts pileing up.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Offline Ga_Boy

• Senior Member x2
  • Been rode hard and hung up wet; more than once.
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 05:53:30 AM »
I know your delimia.  It took me a few months to figure out how to do a market survey.

If you are interested in this let me know and I can point you in the direction of doing a survey analyzing and results to guage your market interest.

If you do this you will need about $600 to $700 dollars to buy the envelops, paper, stamps and mailing list.  The mailing list is your big ticket item.  This is a necessary step to make sure your investment of time and money is sound.
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Offline woodbeard

• Sailors have sea legs, sawyers have board feet.
    • Share Post
    • Dismal Guitars
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 06:59:35 PM »
Basswood is popular for Electric guitar bodies. Blanks are roughly 2"x14"x24", usually glued up, but 1 piece is good too, if not better.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Drying thick and thin basswood

Started by Larry on Drying and Processing

1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2005, 08:00:32 PM
by ElectricAl
xx
basswood

Started by nas on Timber Framing/Log construction

5 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 09:59:25 PM
by nas