iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 3120 help wanted

Started by urbanlumberinc, June 11, 2006, 07:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbanlumberinc

I run a husky 3120 with a 56" alaskan mill.  AI've been having trouble restarting the saw after making a cut.  I suspect this is due to the heat of the carburator vaporizind the fuel before it can iginte.  Anyone run  into  a similar problem?  How can I remedy this once and for all?

twoodward15

Yeah, same problem on my heap o'crap McCulloch.  One word solves it for me.  Ether.  I know it's bad for the saw but it needs it to get going sometimes.  Not always though.  I do find that the gas tank is quite small.  When I finished a cut I needed to refill it.  I shut the saw off at the end of a cut, set it down.  Do all my moving around, get a drink, BS with a friend and then refill the saw.  Add bar oil and recap.  It's cool enough then. Only took threee boards and a slab to figure it out.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

sawguy21

The saw is working hard on a mill and will run hot. Are you letting it idle for a minute or two after the cut to give it a chance to cool down evenly? Also may help to richen the high speed a bit.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

MotorSeven

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 11, 2006, 08:25:22 PM
The saw is working hard on a mill and will run hot. Are you letting it idle for a minute or two after the cut to give it a chance to cool down evenly? Also may help to richen the high speed a bit.

Ditto on letting it idle for a while to cool down......
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

urbanlumberinc

I tried that, but at the recomendation of the local husky tech I opened the High jet up all the way to run it as rich as possible, when I let off the throttle It dies almost right away.  I'm about at my wits end.  What good is a $1600 saw if you only can make 1 cut an hour?

MotorSeven

Sounds too rich, do you have a tach? Unless you tune saws alot, you really need a tach to find the recommended rpm then back off about 500-800 for milling. I bought one from my stihl dealer and i wasn't cheap @ $115, but i think it's worht it.
RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

rebocardo

All I can say is I milled with my Husky 365 for hours on end without stalling and restarting problems. What I did find with my saw, is I had to move the fuel filter so it was placed in the tank, in thw correct position,  when the saw was on its side.

> when I let off the throttle It dies almost right away

Flooded? The saw is not meant to be run hours on end sideways. Personally, I would have thought a smaller jet would be better, not a bigger one, to prevent flooding.

low_48

Are you keeping the air filter clean? I don't rip with mine, but have lots of trouble with the filter clogging enough to mess up the mixture. This big boy really needs the air :o. I keep an extra filter with me all the time. That way I can switch it out and clean both of them when I get back home. The way  I found this out was when it was fairly new.  I was having  trouble starting and loosing power. The housing came loose during some big bucking and the saw started and ran better! The saw had the sense to tell me what was wrong. Maybe it's because I bought it from a Canadian dealer, maybe not. ;) I started looking at K&N car filters, hoping to get even more air flow. Nothing yet.

solodan

I had the same problem with my 3120, and also thought it was running too rich, but it was actually too lean. It would start cold but I could not get it to start when it was hot. I pulled the whole saw apart before I found a small hole in the fuel line. when it was hot it would just suck air through this hole but not  any gas. A new fuel line fixed this for me.

urbanlumberinc

I ran the saw for a good eight hours in the heat and had no problems today.  Saw ran strong, and idled fine after cutting.  I took it to a local servicing dealer who hooked it up to a digital tach.  Turns out that like solodan I was running it too lean, and needed to adjust the low jet as well.  The Husky tech did a real thorough job of diagnosing and correcting the problem.  He also hammered home the point about the clean air filter.  I'm glad the saw is all squared away now.  Thanks for all the help guys!

ehp

you have a high speed jet?????

oldsaw

Quote from: ehp on June 19, 2006, 09:10:14 AM
you have a high speed jet?????

Mine has one....it's just not adjustable... :D

Fortunately, it seems to work well.

Had the same problem...bad gas.  Went to new can and everything was fine.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

ehp

the first 3120's had a high speed jet that was adjustable and no limiter in the coil    8)

but just to many warrantry problems so here we are today with saw that willnot turn any rpms and they donot want you to adjust the carb

oldsaw

Nope, got the rev limiter and no high speed jet.  Brutal saw though, gobs of power, and will bog down, but not stall out when milling the big stuff.   Just have to get used to the outboard clutch...the only thing I hate about it.

BTW, I think Andy is a bit bummed out that I took the Woodmizer sticker off of it.  However, it was starting to peel up in places, and it really made the saw stick out.  My wife is supposed to be able to confuse it with my 066...she really doesn't pay much attention.  Was going to replace the "D" handle with an Elastostart, but the "D" handle works okay, and Andy didn't want it back.

You were right though, it is a nice saw.  He really took care of it.

BTW, he was out here a week or so ago.  Didn't get to see him, but he's going to give me a bit more of a "heads up" next time later this summer.

Mark

urbanlumberinc

since my last post I've run some 120 octane racing fuel I bought of a budy that races Camaros.  Talk about an increase in performance.  The saw seemed to have quite a bit more torque (this could also be the difference in densities between logs)  Anyhow, the thing slabbed through a 50" x 10' silver maple without a hangup.  Averaged about 2o minutes a slab with a helper on the stinger handle.

oldsaw

Not bad, you are right in the ballpark.  That's a heck of a log. 

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!