The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Let's talk Harbor Freight...  (Read 14375 times)

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to tide my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
Re: Let's talk Harbor Freight...
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2006, 10:59:30 PM »
Cheap hand tools will bail you out everytime. I will not carry my Crafstman, Proto or Mack tools on the back of the truck. Guess what I have when I break down, or someone else does when I am around? HF or the equivelent, they are so cheap it doesn't make sense to not have them around. Several years ago I was traveling and had a breakdown. $40.00 repair for a $2.00 dollar part, auto parts store on the corner, $6.99 socket set plus $2.00 part, on my way. (Don't really want them around the shop.)

Don't let the $6.99 socket set give any idea about my age. :D :D :D
Bill

Offline den

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2006, 10:08:56 AM »
Here is a discussion group reply  http://www.vintagewindmills.com/

Steel here is like everything else. You get what you pay for. All of the large steel mills here are run using American or German technical management now and steel is readily available being produced to US and German standards. The problem for consumers in the US is not the factories in China producing low end products, but distributors shaving the price down. Something has to go. There are a number of companies here making hand tools equivalent in quality to Snapon and I think better than Craftsman. While they are cheaper here than Snapon or Craftsman in the US, they are not so cheap that they can be purchased and sold in the US for much less. Side by side, would you purchase a Sato socket set over a Snapon when the savings would only be about 10% - 20% or so? I doubt there would be many buyers for an unknown name with unknown quality. Top US brands will always dominate the high end of the market. A number of top US tool makers are now selling in the China market. I can by Snapon, and Starret in the markets here and Brown and Sharp is available from a tool distributor here. I think all of the US Carbide tool manufacturers have large markets here now and Stanley stores are now common. I have never seen Craftsman though. Regarding those horrible cheap socket sets dumped on the US market, it is strange that I have never seen them being sold here. I am not sure why, but they seem to be made mostly for export. There are certainly low end tool sets being sold here, but nothing as &%$#@ as those horrible disposable cheap tool sets dumped on the US market. The demand for quality has increased here and is increasing consistently. If I were to take you through one of the many large industrial markets, I think you would be very surprised at the large amount of high end industrial products that are dominating these markets. A number of years ago, this was not the case. They were full of junk. Now a lot of the junk is being sold abroad as the market for it here is dying.

I can go to a good bolt co and order bolts to my spec – made of the steel I want and meeting the specs I want. I just have to pay the price for it. Now if I spec bolts made of cheap hot rolled steel, that is what I will get. If I want top quality forged alloy steel bolts, the situation is the same. I have to pay the price, or I won’t be able to get them. There are a number of good bolt factories within walking distance from me. We have a huge high tension tower factory here that has 1500 people doing nothing but producing galvanized towers all day every day. One of the local bolt factories does nothing but produce galvanized tower bolts for this tower factory. They are produced to national standards, are certified and are completely acceptable in every way. They can be found on towers all over this part of the country and are found to be in very good condition.

I am going to diverge for a moment. We frequently hear of how Chinese imports are hurting the US economy. Are you aware of the fact that US agricultural products are severely damaging certain sectors of the Chinese economy? My hat is off to American corn farmers! Shiploads of low priced American produced corn has flooded the Chinese market and sent corn prices through the floor. In the corn growing provinces, this has been a real disaster as there are no alternative crops for farmers to grow and they are now growing corn for less than cost. This is requiring increasing levels of government support (read this subsidies) for corn farmers just to survive. It is not unusual to hear of a farmer selling his whole crop for less than the real cost of diesel and fertilizer! The government has to balance this situation with subsidies, or there would be a serious decline in stability in some areas in the countryside. American farmers should be very proud of their ability to flood the market of a country like china with low priced corn. There is no outcry here to limit imports of American agricultural products, just demands to find new uses and applications for Chinese corn and other agricultural products. There is a fortune to be made here by American business working to convert corn to bio-fuel and other products. This could eventually lead to an increase in the price of Chinese corn as well as the price of US corn imports. I have not seen or heard of any US business entering into this market in China, even though the opportunity is immense and they certainly would be most welcome and supported by the government. Is anyone reading this in the bio-fuel business?
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Offline rebocardo

• Senior Member x2
  • Atlanta GA
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2006, 07:28:20 PM »
Harbor Fright ... Freight is to tools as JCW is to car parts. You get what you paid for. Sometimes you can get a really good deal, other times it is too good to be true.

Like the West Coast Jr mirrors I bought from JCW that I have never installed. They looked nicer in the catalog. The tire plug gun was worthless to me, $40 mistake.

My HF 3/4 socket set has been well worth the $50+ I paid for it though I would never use it for "real" 3/4" duty where I needed some 1200 pound torque work to break something free.

Personally, I like northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company much better, especially on quality and service. Though I still buy stuff from HF too.

Offline jrokusek

• Share Post
    • DIY Bandmill
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2006, 01:01:30 AM »
I bought an electric impact wrench before I had an air compressor.  It's heavy, poorly ballanced and about double the size of the US brands.  That being said it's a workhorse!  I've used and abused it for the last 7 or so years and it just keeps going!  $40 well spent.

Just bought a pin-type moisture meter for lumber.  Seems to work OK so far.

Also bought a "pickle fork" to do some front-end work on an old truck.  That lasted about 2 minutes into the job before it broke!  That's OK though.....I cut the handle off and welded it to some all-thread and it's now the tensioner for my homemade sawmill!

Jim

Offline jimbo

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2006, 12:10:48 PM »
well  i have bouth brand mane stuff their also  millwalkie  sawsaw  and some cheap stuff    it all boils down to   (you get what you pay for)

jimbo

Offline PineNut

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2006, 09:43:12 PM »
jimbo

True you pay for what you get but you don't always get what you pay for. If you are not careful, you sometimes don't get all you payed for.

Still I use HF and take my chances on some things. A cheap and not quite so good tool where I am when I need it does me more good than a good tool that is in the shop. As a result I have several sets of some cheaper tools.

Offline jimbo

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2006, 09:08:36 AM »
  i want takw good tools out of the shop  thats why i use  HF  tools if thay are lost or stolen  their isent as much gone and most time thay do just as good for me

jimbo

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2006, 11:57:25 AM »
I have puchased the cheap tool when I need it for a one time job I am unlikely to do again or need to grind/cut/weld it for a special application. I also have good tools that I forget what I bought them for or how to use. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline jjmk98k

• Crystal, My Shetland Sheepdog and forever soulmate, REST IN PEACE 7 May 2007
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2006, 10:44:18 AM »
I use HF tool a good bit at my camp in the mountians. I choose not to leave my good tools there nor do i want to drag them  to my camp every time i go there.

I have found that some hand tools are junk, while other seem to perform to my Craftsman standards. My 4" angle grinder has impressed me time and time again, the cheap set of vise grips, garbage! the high polished wrench set bailed me out many times, while the comfy handled ratched broke after a little torque was applied to move a stuck bolt.

Ill say one thing, the .99 cent stainless scissors are a great buy, use them to cut anything and when they get dull, toss them.... i used them to cut carpet once and they did well..... and a big set of screwdrivers for $3.99, cant be beat for light, occasional use.....

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Offline hackberry jake

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »
I know this an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one saying the same thing. I needed to go to war on rocks in my driveway. These were like tip-of-the-iceburge type rocks. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a hammer drill/jackhammer. The drill, two jackhammer bits, and five masonry bits were about $100. The piece right behind the chuck got too hot to touch and it leaked a little grease out, but it got the job done. I found that if I drilled a 3/4" hole in the rock, and then stuck a long 3/4" round rod into the hole, I could usually break pretty big chunks off.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Harbor Freight in Maine

Started by thecfarm on General Board

30 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 11:54:05 AM
by BobInMN
xx
harbor freight bandmill

Started by slabmaster on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 09:13:35 AM
by ForestMan