The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: cutting and welding on a diesel fuel tank-Now how to build a heat exchanger  (Read 4548 times)

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • Share Post
Re: cutting and welding on a diesel fuel tank
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 07:38:54 AM »
Murf, you really stirred up my grey matter.   ???
The new plan is to install the tank in the small greenhouse next to the furnace ( I was really surprised when my sweet wife suggested this - floor space in the greenhouses is closely guarded  ;) )
I am thinking about the heat exchanger, I think to maximize the surface area and thus the heat transfer a coil in a tube would work out well.  I can easily plumb the return hot water line to run 180F water through the tube.  The problem is finding the correct fuel line to use.  B100 and copper do not get along very well so I need to use steel.  (The copper reacts with the bio diesel and degrades the fuel )
Does anyone know of a steel 3/8" OD line that is easily bent?  Or can I use heat to soften the steel to wrap it around a pipe without crimping it?  I want the coil to fit into a 4" maximum tube.  The water from the boiler has a conditioner in it that prevents the steel from rusting.

How do I modify the title of this thread to read: Cutting and Welding on a diesel fuel tank - Now how to build a heat exchanger  :)

and we haven't even gotten to food or guns yet  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 08:16:41 AM »
OWW - re steel lines that are easily bent, see if a local trucking parts supplier has bulk steel brake line.  Typically it comes in lengths up to 6' or so; I hope that  you don't need much!

Steel lines are also used on heavy equipment, and some speciality metal suppliers may stock small steel tubing that is a mild steel. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline Murf

• Senior Member x2
  • The pitter-patter of little feet..........
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 09:52:10 AM »
OWW, phone around your area to all the hydraulic shops and see if one of them has an old heat exchanger they have taken off a piece of heavy equipment or something.

Typically they are large tube style excchangers that go in line with the radiator hose. They are usually stainless or plated steel with a 3/8" or 1/2" steel line wound around on the inside terminating in pipe thread fittings on the outside at each end.

If you can find one of those all you have to then do is make up reducers to go from the oil line size up to, and back down from the heat exchangers size.

You may also get lucky and find a small hydraulic resrvoir with provisions for a heat exchanger coiul to be inserted. This may be less work and fiddling in the long run. Besides, doing it that way would give you a few gallons of hot oil always standing by for use.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Offline Don_Papenburg

• Senior Member x2
  • I need money
    • Share Post
Re: cutting and welding on a diesel fuel tank-Now how to build a heat exchanger
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 11:36:52 PM »
Seamless hydraulic tube.  Farm and industial machinery scrapyards would be a good place to start.    Also use a couple runs of 1/4 or 1/8 " black iron pipe scedual 40 or less . I made a heat echanger for my blast hood that I stuck in the exhaust pipe on the compressor . It worked too good ,burned the rubber right off the hose.  anyway it was easy to bend and two smaller pipes would provide more exchange surface.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
welding holes in fuel tank

Started by OneWithWood on Alternative methods and solutions

17 Replies
Last post October 16, 2010, 07:34:38 AM
by OneWithWood
xx
Diesel fuel contamination in 518 fuel tank

Started by giant splinter on General Board

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 07:31:07 AM
by Autocar