The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Sawing Cottonwood  (Read 6637 times)

Offline kantuckid

• Share Post
Re: Sawing Cottonwood
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2020, 08:05:08 AM »
A neighbor has a couple sheds built entirely of cottonwood, and about 100 years old.  But the shingles are not cottonwood.  Just framing, siding, and flooring. If you use it for trailer decking, should you oil the wood before installing?
I use crankcase/tranny oil on trailer floors, done when woods dry. Linseed oil, boiled or not is organic and feeds the little fellers that grow on wood. Protects but feeds, so best if it's used to include something in the mix that prevents that growth.
Early in my log homes life I mixed up a wood finish formula found in a U of AK log building pamphlet I had which used linseed as a base- maybe in ok in AK, but in KY you get mildew!  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline 97redjeep

• Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2020, 03:02:42 PM »
Got a little excited when I saw this post, I have a bunch of standing dead cottonwood so I sawed on up and made a vanity for my wife, also sawed a bunch of green wood up for my brothers lowbed decking and he says its holding up great, its been a few months of abuse now. 

Mill-HM126,  jd310, husky 365/372bb, 365/372 clone, new 372, ms170, couple little pooolans, IEL pioneer project saw, Ford 3000, 99 dodge ctd with in box dump box.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2020, 05:44:17 PM »
i just got a gallon of copper naphthenate, to treat outdoor wood.  will not be "pressure" treated, but the surface treatment should impair growth of mold and other organisms.  copper care is the brand, from amazon.  outside but off the soil is ok.  i hope this product will help on my hackberry pallet runners.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2020, 05:48:15 PM »
redjeep i was looking at your sawhorses in the background, and i thought you made them just like mine.  i actually make and I beam with a 2 x 6 top and bottom the runs the length.  i refurbished a 22 foot o'day daysailer two fiberglass sailboat supported on two of them.  they are 8 feet long.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline 97redjeep

• Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2020, 11:34:36 AM »
redjeep i was looking at your sawhorses in the background, and i thought you made them just like mine.  i actually make and I beam with a 2 x 6 top and bottom the runs the length.  i refurbished a 22 foot o'day daysailer two fiberglass sailboat supported on two of them.  they are 8 feet long.
Doc thats exactly what they are, other than only 4. I initially built a set to set a old pickup camper on then realized they were way better than my old 2x4 ones and way lighter than my grandpas old timber ones, I even built him a set after he seen them, dont need a tractor to move them lol and theyre surprisingly strong  ;D
Mill-HM126,  jd310, husky 365/372bb, 365/372 clone, new 372, ms170, couple little pooolans, IEL pioneer project saw, Ford 3000, 99 dodge ctd with in box dump box.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2020, 08:50:50 PM »
even my 7 foot ones with 2 x 6s are easy to carry, center on my shoulder.  and the leg brace is plywood on the outside of the legs, so they will nest one on top of the other as well.  crazy minds think alike! :)

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2020, 04:15:59 PM »
Yesterday I was dead stacking some cottonwood that was sawed and stickered this spring. Some was sawn into 1x material and the rest was sawn for 2x framing lumber at 1 1/2" thick. Anticipating some movement I sawed it all a little extra wide so I could rip it to final width on the sawmill after drying. As expected most of the pieces did crook but not too bad. Should be plenty of extra material on most boards to rip them straight. Otherwise it dried nice and flat. Only a few pieces really misbehaved. There was some shake in the logs which ruined some boards but that was expected too. I should be able to save some shorter sections from the shakey boards.

I've sawn cottonwood before and some of it almost tie itself in a knot while drying so I was a little worried. But those were edge grown trees with off center piths and many of the logs were bowed. These were straight and clear with centered piths. Sawed super easy (other than handling the very large and heavy logs (30+"@12-15'). I'll be on the lookout for more as general utility/framing lumber isn't easy to come by around here.

The 1x boards probably stayed the straightest:

The 2x material showed a bit more crook. The two pieces to the left have opposing crook and were probably average, so it wasn't all that bad. Most were sawn around 7" with 5 1/2" being the intended target after straight lining

Only a few had fatal defects:

Some of it was very pretty coming off the mill. Will be interested to see how it looks after it's planed and finished:

Alan

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2020, 12:00:59 AM »
Looks good 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cottonwood?

Started by Tome on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post April 08, 2004, 10:10:39 PM
by etat
question
Why is cottonwood ignored?

Started by jrokusek on Sawmills and Milling

28 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 04:01:03 PM
by LeeB
xx
cottonwood anyone?

Started by sandsawmill14 on Sawmills and Milling

27 Replies
Last post February 12, 2016, 07:17:12 AM
by mart
xx
Is this to big to cut down.....cottonwood!

Started by ArnoldFarms on Sawmills and Milling

37 Replies
Last post March 23, 2014, 05:23:15 PM
by GAB