iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winter gardening

Started by Dan_Shade, November 01, 2006, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerdoug

CR,

I could send you some seed when I get my new seed orders in at the end of the year.  Let me know what you are looking for.

We are cleaning out 2 greenhouses full of green and red tomatoes this weekend.  The lighter yeilding greenhouse took 30 five gallon pails to pick them all.  It sure is ashame to dump them on the compost pile but my markets are over here for the year.  Of course I will pick a few bushels to store in the pumphouse to use through Christmas. ;)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Steve

I've been wanting to pass this on. This seems like a good place.
My wife has made this many tiimes this fall and it is great.

Green Tomato Spice Cake

4 cups chopped green tomatoes
1T salt

1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs

2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts

9x12 or two 8x8 baking pans, greased and floured.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Add Tablespoon salt to chopped green tomatoes and let set 10 minutes, then rinse and drain in a colander.
   Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs and beat until smooth.
   Combine dry ingredients.  Add to creamed mixture a bit at a time and stir.  Batter will be as stiff as cookie dough.  Add nuts and raisins, then tomatoes last.
   Spread in baking pan and bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Served warm with a dab of whipped cream this cake is outstanding.  Freezes well too.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Tom

Your hospitals, old folks homes, fire stations, Women's shelter and maybe your jail would appreciate those "leftovers", I'll bet.

Granddad used to get the pinks from the packing house for the cows.   I be tempted to juice them and freeze the juice.

Paschale

Your Green Tomatoe Cake sounds interesting...wish I still had some green ones left.

What's it taste like?  Does it have a nice sour kick, from the green tomatoes?

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Steve

You know there are 4 cups in that recipe and I wouldn't of known there was a tomato anywhere near it.
I look at green tomatoes in a totally different way since finding that recipe.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Mooseherder

These came by-way of a Farmer's Garden in Boynton Beach today.
Asst. Peppers and To-maters. Our daughter's friend has connections to the Farm and was nice of her to bring us the treasure. The box even had the American Flag on it. ;D She knows we like food.
Sorry for the gloating. :D

Furby

Mooseherder

Nanners and bowl fruit store bought. :D

Thank You Sponsors!