iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabbing Assistance

Started by Fla._Deadheader, December 22, 2006, 06:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoodward15

A filler cut in the top would definately be a good idea.  If it's possible, I'd still run a gallon jug or half gallon.  A quart really is too small.  You'll notice that you have to keep filling it, even during the cut in big wood. 
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Fla._Deadheader

Reckon how many Gallons it will take, to cut each log ???  Might hafta raise the price of the slabs.  8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

We used about a quart of Stihl summer blend chain oil fer all them slabs we cut at Part_timer's this summer....
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Fla._Deadheader

How many ?? What size ?? How hard ?? What kinda wood ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

Burlkraft

Harold....PT's post at the begining of this thread was the day I took my slabber down ta his place for his demo day.

There's some pictures there.....I'm the one that was doin' all the work.... :D :D :D

It was big oak...It was green....The slabs was heavy.....It was hot too.....Just like yer gonna be... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Burlkraft

Now that I think about it...if ya go ta PT's gallery he's got more pictures there and one was of the bottle and the hose and the wire and duct tape rig we made cuz I didn't have the bolt that the bottle hooks to. I suppose it was running like a drip every 2 or 3 seconds or so. We cut 3 slabs I believe and the bottle was about half full yet....it tipped over on the way home in the back of the truck..... >:(  >:(  >:( So we cudda made 6 cuts with a quart....Yer touchin' up chain by then anyway....ya wanna keep up with that 10' chain or that becomes a big job too..... :-\ :-\ :-\

Captain

Aww, C'mon Steve.  There's only 27 cutters in that entire loop of chain. 

My first small frame clip on slabber will be up and running this weekend, paint is drying right now.  Looks like 44" of slabbing capability, 8.5" thick.

Captain

Fla._Deadheader

There's a LOT more than 27 cutters on MY chain  ::) ::)

I bought Ripping chain, too  ::) ::)  I think there is 162 or so drive links ???

I figger 42" of cut, so, I guess we done OK for not knowing what we were doing, EH ???

I don't have a way to connect the tube to the handle, so, it's gonna be interesting.  ::) ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Burlkraft

I can't even count ta 27 cuz I run otta fingers and toes..... :D :D :D

I got a Sthil chain that looks like it's got a hundred..... :o :o :o

Furby

Anyone offering to sharpen my crosscut chain for the 72" bar ???

Fla._Deadheader

It takes the same amount of time to sharpen a chain as it does to dull it  ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Corley5

Sounds like it's time for grinder  ;) :) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Burlkraft

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on December 27, 2006, 07:59:07 PM

It takes the same amount of time to sharpen a chain as it does to dull it  ::) ;D

You must be DanG fast at sharpenin' them chains..... :D :D :D :D

Furby

Was thinking the same thing!

Had to go count them and I think there are 63 cutters on those chains. :'(

Captain

Full size slabbers are 196 DL of .404 Ripping Chain.  This has a triple skip sequence.  27 cutters is the average in circumference...need all that "skip" to carry the "chip".

Not sure of the DL count on the Small Frame slabbing attachment yet...cutting chains tomorrow.  I'll post pics this weekend of it in use.  Soon will have small (standard WPF) and large frame (ATS and Large Frame 8", 10" WPF, ASM) versions available for sale.

Captain

Fla._Deadheader

Could be 196. My Spanish numbers are very bad.  ::) ::) ::) ;D

You saying I gotta grind off a BUNCH of them cutters ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

Captain

If you're cutting wide, yes.  Your chain speed is about 1/4 of the normal chain saw, and you're in a really wide cut.  Those chips need somewhere to go.

Captain

Part_Timer

Kevjay/Ga_Boy  I understand now.  That makes sence.  If I take the saw marks off the boards there is a more even surface area for the moisture to move from and all the boards in the stack have that same amount of area making for a more even draw in the kiln?

FDH  Green, white oak 36" or so wide and 14' long.  They are dtying quite nicely in the garage.  Yep Burlkraft was the only one working, but hay he kept expecting us to feed him. ;D ;)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Fla._Deadheader

Had a few nice days, couple weeks ago, then Rain returned. Want to start Slabbing this week, but, rain means bad roads to the milling site. Got 12,000 bdft of sawn lumber sitting on sticks in the open that we can't get hauled out.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Part_Timer

I know what ya mean about the rain.  My mill has 3" of water around it right now.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

farmerdoug

PT,  Just think if that was snow. :o

It is raining here again too.  Just as the ground starts to dry up around the yard it rains again.  Forget logging in the woods.  I do not even want to fell timber as I am not sure when I can get in to get it out either. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

TexasTimbers

I'm in the same boat with you fellers. Can't mill at all and there's rain in the forecast most of all next week.
I need to pour two acres of concrete to slove it once and for all. Someone do the math on that one. 2 acres times $70 a yard.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

beenthere

$0.86 a square foot, or $75,300   ::)   (about dat if 4" thick)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

I went with 6" slab to handle the weight of logs and equipment just a little better and came up in the neighborhood of $112,910.00, so we are in the same ballpark BT. ;)

TexasTimbers

Man I wish I could get two acres worth of 4" slab for $75K I would jump all over that!  8)

Around here a finished 4" slab is running $5.00 - $5.50 a square foot.  

If we figure ou howany square feet are in 2 acres and multiply that times say $4.50 because of the price break the concrete company will give us then we are going to be closer to what it would actually cost to eliminate the need for mowing, and waiting days for the wind to dry our yard enough to do something more than shopwork.  ::)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!