iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Sawdust Burner . . . . .

Started by TexasTimbers, January 22, 2007, 04:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

I heard there was going to be log burling in the pool this year so I'm bringing my caulk boots.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

Quote from: Bioman on July 19, 2007, 08:50:38 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun.

Want me to bring the pool heater exhanger?  The demo unit can put approx 100,000 btu/hr through the hx.  We would have to be able to roll the unit to within 20' of the pool (small pump). 

You bet! and thats no problem getting that close.  :)

Paul, behave yerself.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Cool! 8)
Now I got someone to compete with AND warm water. smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_hellow_im_here

beenthere

Biggest hottub in Harrison, and maybe even Michigand ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

So much for the "family" side of the roast.
Now it's an all out tub party! 8) :o

Jeff

Bioman

Jeff,

It looks like 3 or 4 of us coming.  Is it all right to show up Friday to get some heat into the pool?

Furby

Not speaking for Jeff, but because he may not have seen this yet, I'd say you won't have a problem showing up on Friday.
If anyone hassles ya, tell them to go see me! ;) ;D

Jeff

Furby's right. Friday is fine!  Bring dry cloths... ;D

I dont know if it was mentioned here guys, but this is a true family outing. Bring the kids and wives as they always have as much fun as we do. More even. I know that the different kids that come now look forward to this and meeting up again with their friends from other parts of the country.

Jeff

Its been in the 90s here and the pool water has been warm. We can fix that though!  I'll back wash the heckout of it friday and we can add 1000 gallons of well water. ;D   That oughta brighten ones day if they hop into it if its still 90!  (that way they really will appreciate the value of the Bio-Mizer!)

Bioman

Sounds good - we're looking forward to the fellowship

Bioman

Grinder update -

Our first pass at grinding dust from slabs is generating approx 50 lbs/hr with a 3 hp motor.   Plenty of room for improvement to get more.....

farmerdoug

Well guys, since I could not make the roast tell me what you thought of the burner.

Bioman,  I missed you but we will talk again.  Glad to hear the prototype sawdust maker is working.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

breederman

I saw a big unit at the farm show today, I belive it came from Poland,they said it burned chips and sawdust,looked like a similer unit only it was pretty big.
Together we got this !

Bioman

I heard about the unit at the farm show too.  It's a Hamech from Poland.  There are a few of them around here and sold by a guy @ www.stjosephky.com if you want to see some info in English. 

It's a gasifier and a bit larger.  I assume more expensive too.

Bioman

Quote from: farmerdoug on August 08, 2007, 09:10:44 PM
Well guys, since I could not make the roast tell me what you thought of the burner.

Bioman, I missed you but we will talk again. Glad to hear the prototype sawdust maker is working.

Farmerdoug

I'll let others give the feedback and opinions - the statistics are we heated the pool from 78 to 91 degrees while running the unit for about 16 hours. 

Jeff, thanks again for the good time and hospitality.

Farmerdoug, we're going to start building the newest revision of the domestic unit for test distribution in the next couple of weeks.  We fire up the latest industrial unit tomorrow.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Bioman

Since we've been showing the Bio-Mizer before it is ready, I thought I'd see if you guys were interested in watching the development process of the Bio-Dust grinder too.

If you are, be nice - development takes time.  This video clip is of the 1st prototype proof-of-concept to see if we can use bandsaw blade stock as a grinding wheel.  The unit obviously grinds to fine and slow, but it does grind at the rate of approx 50 lbs/hr.  We have a long way to go and we haven't tried anything other than a few slabs so far.  I've asked them to try grinding chips next.

I keep telling everyone we just need to burn a few extra brain cells to come up with the solution here.  I'm open to feedback of any kind.

For those interested, follow this link.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8eh0vIxAGjc

twobears

bioman:do you have anymore pic's of that grinder you can share?? and was i seeing right is it air powered??

delbert

Jeff

It was a pleasure to have the Bio-mizer guys at the pigroast and even to entrust their baby to us over night unsupervised. Scott (Bioman) told us we were the first group to do a start up on our own.  We let it go out along with the pig roaster over night and got up the next morning and restarted it effortlessly. At one point when we had the heat exchanger choked back, we were getting 175° water flowing into the pool at a rate faster then an average home water faucet running and at the same time blowing air out a separate heat exchanger.  That was the warmest we had EVER had the pool.  We were heating over 13,000 gallons of water  and what Scott doesn't even know is that I put probably 1000 gallons of cold direct-from-the-well water back in during the night to replenish what the kids and evaporation had removed during the day.

Jeff

farmerdoug

Bioman,  You said that the dust was fine and too slow, right?

My first thought is you said you were using bandsaw blade stock.  What HP did you use in the test and did you slow the flywheel down much?

I have noticed that if I have the feedrate to slow on my mill I get fine sawdust.  I think you are going in the right direction but need to have a faster feed rate.   Maybe a power feed.

That being said, how many teeth do you think were cutting at once in the slab?  I can say one thing,  lots of HP is needed.  Angling the feedstock will help but require even more HP.  Think real wide cuts and then some.

One final question,  How much sawdust does a LT40 or LT70 produce in a good hour of cutting?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Bioman

Quote from: twobears on August 12, 2007, 07:07:34 PM

bioman:do you have anymore pic's of that grinder you can share?? and was i seeing right is it air powered??

delbert

Sorry, that's all I have at the moment.  I'll have to get some pictures taken by the guys at the New Point plant (where we make the sawmills). 

The air is for cleaning the disk.  They had some loading problems without it so they added air and let it fly for test purposes.  It is powered by a 3 hp motor.

Bioman

Quote from: farmerdoug on August 12, 2007, 09:11:57 PM
Bioman, You said that the dust was fine and too slow, right?

My first thought is you said you were using bandsaw blade stock. What HP did you use in the test and did you slow the flywheel down much?

I have noticed that if I have the feedrate to slow on my mill I get fine sawdust. I think you are going in the right direction but need to have a faster feed rate. Maybe a power feed.

That being said, how many teeth do you think were cutting at once in the slab? I can say one thing, lots of HP is needed. Angling the feedstock will help but require even more HP. Think real wide cuts and then some.

One final question, How much sawdust does a LT40 or LT70 produce in a good hour of cutting?

Farmerdoug

Yes, we're using some bandsaw stock to see if we can prove the concept.  They tried running it slower at first and didn't like the performance.  The video shows a test with it sped up.

I asked them to keep the hp low and see what kind of feed rates we could get (lb/hr).  They started with 3 hp.  You can hear the flywheel loading down in the video, so I don't think they could have pushed much harder.

We can get faster feed rates with more hp.  We just need to find the right combination of tooth spacing, flywheel speed and feed speed.

There are probably 20-50 teeth engaged on a piece 2x8 - too many...

If I remember right, we get approx 100 lbs of sawdust per 500 board feet when grade sawing 1" lumber. 

submarinesailor

Scott,

Have you conceder using VFD/VSDs instead of trying to figure out the gearing.  I've used several from .5 hp to 600hp and never had any problems.  I loved the infinite speed control for controlling everything from air pressure in AC ducts to pumping water.

Also, while I was at the GovEnergy show in New Orleans, I bumped into some guys from the Department of Energy (DOE) biomass lab in Morgantown WV.  They were very interested in your product.  I told them to go to the Wood Mizer web site and look for the Bio Mizer. 

When I find the time in the office, I will forward you're their info and a small CD ROM I picked up at the show.

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!