Sponsors:

circular saw hammering

Started by woody1, January 25, 2007, 07:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

Curmugeonly codger. Ok, I've been called worse. :D :D :D
Bill

Buzz-sawyer

Atually I think Dang and Tom have some kinda trade-mark goin on that phrase :P....so I will just stick to hick and "American hill person" for future refrence to myself and other esteemed collegues.... ;D 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Guy that taught me how to saw on a Corley mill, 52" blade, hammered right on the mandrel. Tools ???, a 6# sledge with short handle, a 4# engineers hammer, a BALL PEEN, a carpenters framing square, and a yellow keel. I forget now, just what he was looking for, but, my saw stood at "RIGID" attention, when it got up to speed.

I started out with a blistered 48" saw, and he showed me exactly what was wrong, and that it would never be right again. He hammered it to get my mill going, and we sawed for 2 weeks as it started waving more and more.

Bought a good used blade and hammered it to fit my power, and never looked back ???

Hope Woody gets it all figgered out. His inbox is gonna get a workout  ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

JimBuis

Quote from: Buzz-sawyer on February 03, 2007, 11:48:40 PM
. . . . . . . .. . . .But I am serious about cutting good lumber....and the 60 inch blade on my mill...(which I also built and maintain),as several members on this forum can attest it will stands up straight enough that you cannot tell it is moving at top rpms....my point???
I think you should buy everthing you can get your hands on for your plans, but just because people may not have the same equipment....asside from the hammers....does not mean that they cannot build, maintain and run a sawmill safely and efficiently from scratch :) 

Yes, I can attest to Buzz's mill running straight and true.  I've even got pictures to prove it, look in my gallery.  I stood right there next to that Buda diesel expecting to hear all kinds of racket when that diesel got the blade up to speed and it sliced into the log.  I was pleasantly surprised that everything from the motor to that 60" blade ran as smooth as silk and much quieter than I ever could have imagined.  My hearing was damaged years ago from one too many loud tractors on the farm, but Buzz's mill was music to my ears and that without any hearing protection.  In fact, everything ran so nice I doubt I'd wear any hearing protection if I were there everyday.

The lumber?  Straight and true.  I held the lumber in my own hands and there was nothing wrong with it.

I'm a witness,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

woody1

Heck, I wish I could argue with you guys, but I can't. That's the reason I started this thread, was to get some info.. You guys are great, and I do value your opinion, I waill let you know how the class goes.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Fla._Deadheader

It's nothing to argue about Woody. Get the info direct and teach the rest of us, even if we all don't have a BIG Blade  ;D ;) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woody1

Will do !! HI HO HI HO it's off to school I go. :P :P :P

Paul_H

Woody,

I think you're on the right track.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawguyver

I have a big blades and want to learn all about it. I've even got an old disston to play around with. (as dangerous as it may sound) ::)

Buzz-sawyer

Hey Woody, sounds good, please do post about your experiences at the workshop, and maybe some pics too....we need to learn more about the whole process. :)

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

woody1

I will be taking a camera and I will post them here..if you walk me through how to do it. I've been talking to some saw pounders lately, but they don't give out much information. I have been working on two old blade, both hoe's, and they are coming out very well. I am excited about the class, and the question and answer setion. Thanks for your interest !
Woody

woody1

And by the way..This spring when I fire up my mill, I am probably going to be bugging this gang for advice on making the chips fly. The mill is ready and the motor is ready, just tweeking now. A couple of weekends ago we set the injectors on my 471 detroit, I was lucky an old guy up the road had the pins. It runs like a nissan. :D The only thing I have to do on the mill yet is set the lead. I have it close with a sting off the head blocks, but I quess you never know till you put a log through.
Woody

Ron Wenrich

No need for a string on the headblocks.  To set the lead, loosen up your saw guides, so there isn't any pressure on the saw.  Measure the distance from the saw to the headblock.  Mark the tooth on the saw.

Move the carriage to the opposite side of the saw.  Turn the saw so you are measuring on the same tooth.  Measure that distance.

You want the back side to be a little longer than the front side (where the saw guides are at).  Distance to start at is 1/16".

You will find that the way you file a saw has a lot to do with how the saw performs. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woody1

Ron, I used your method today and it works great. Thanks for the tip.
Woody

Don_Papenburg

I still have to get my track straightened and then all mounted down solid before I can think about the lead .   Will be interested in the hammering class.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

woody1

Well, tommorrows the big day. I am leaving home about 2:30 am, and headin for ny. I will be in touch next week.

Jeff

Take some pictures if they let ya! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguyver

Enjoy yourself.
I'm looking forward to reading all about it.

woody1

The saw hammering class was a great success. It was about 8 hours long. The covered everything. Had a great instructor who has been pounding saws for a living for 32 years. There were about 30 people three, but only two for the circular saws, everyone else was there for bandsaws. I had a hard time taking pictures because of the Amish students. I asked about pictures, but the Amish said they didn't want there pictures taken.
  Best money I've ever spent.

Ron Wenrich

What size of bandsaws were they doing?  I know a lot of mills have resaws which use the wider blades and they have to be tensioned and rolled.  That might be a good sideline to get into.

Around our area, some guys send their bands up to Williamsport area. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woody1

Ron, I never knew bandsaw had to be leveled and tensioned. They went over everything on bands..welding, retooth,repairs, leveling and tensioning, stelite, forging teeth, gumming and on and on. they had 200 blades there waiting to be done. I will put more band pictures on my gallery,

woody1

oh ya, they had a band there 14"x 42' and I am sure there are larger.

Jeff

Oh yes, they come bigger. Or at least they used to. ;)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woody1

They have the machines to do those monsters

woody1

Ckeck out the grooves wore into the test arbor from doing check thousands of circular saws. The manilla folder is to cover the anvil for leveling blows. It is then removed for trnsioning blows.

Thank You Sponsors!