iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curing meat

Started by highpockets, February 11, 2007, 09:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

I was wondering how many of you salt and smoke cure your meat.  I think it may be late in the winter to start but I've always wanted to do it.  That is if I can steal a hog.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Mooseherder

If you want to try a purty good salt brine for curing.
Use canning or Kosher salt. For pork, we would take a 5 gallon bucket filled with water. You can use a smaller bucket if you don't have room for the 5 gallon bucket. Put enough salt in and stir. When you can float a raw egg dats enough salt. Other spices are optional. Leave in brine bucket/refrigeration for a week, then make a boiled dinner with greens like fiddleheads, green beans or cabbage. Guaranteed delicious or your money back. :D

Qweaver

We usually make corned deer and beef brisket right after hunting season.  I love corned deer for making Rubins and corned beef/deer and cabbage.  I'll post my recipe if there is any interest.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Norm

I'd like to hear it Qweaver. :)

Woodcarver

I'd be interested in that recipe, Quinton.  I enjoy a good rubin.  We make our own saurkraut. Would enjoy making the rest of the fixins as well. digin1
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Qweaver

Here is the recipe, we really like it

CORNED BEEF/DEER

The meat for this recipe can be either beef or deer.  If using beef brisket, remove all fat.

3 oz. (6 tablespoons) Morton's CURE-TENDER OR TENDER QUICK

10 oz. (1 ¼ CUPS)  Table Salt

10 oz. (1 ¼ cups) Morton's SUGAR CURE or 12 Tlbs sugar and 8 Tlbs  salt.

3 oz. McCormick Mixed Pickling Spices

5 Quarts Water

Mix the table salt, Cure Tender, Sugar Cure and water in a crock or plastic bowl (no metal) I use a large plastic container with a screw on lid to cure the meat in.  (the container that dog treats come is ideal)

Using a large syringe, inject the meat with the solution.
Add  the Pickling Spices to the mixture and place the meat into the solution.  If using a crock or other container with an open top, use a heavy plate to keep the meat submerged.

Allow the meat to cure, refrigerated, for at least 5 days and up to 10 days to insure a complete cure. I shake and turn the container over every few days.

To Cook:  Remove the meat from the solution, rinse and place in a pot with enough UNSEASONED water to cover the top of the meat.  Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for three hours.  Cabbage may be placed on top of the meat during the last 15 minutes of cooking.  If you like a little heat in your meat, :D add your favorite heat producing spice to the meat during the cooking process
The cooked meat freezes quite well.

IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT AND WORK
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Mooseherder

Just so happen to have some cured meat. Corned Beef that the lovely wife had in da fridge tonight. It was good just the same even if it was store bought. ;D

Corned Beef on Rye, dats livin'. :D

WDH

Qweaver, I have got to try that !
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Qweaver

Note that I added REFRIGERATED to the recipe, so if you printed it out you'll want to add that.
Quinton

Bill in U.P.

Bear roast works very good for corning also. Tastes just like corned beef. I used a recipe almost identical to the one posted.

WDH

I have had a hard time with the wild hogs on my property.  I have tried to eat them like a normal hog, and you can't do that.  Not much fat on them at all, and the fat is not good fat like a fed-out porker.  The meat is also so tough that about all you can do is grind sausage or make pulled-BBQ ( and even the BBQ is tough).  Anyway, this might be a stupid question, but how about corning wild pork?  Anyone ever done that and is it even worth considering?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

About the only thing I know to do with wild pig that don't do with fed pork is "Shoot them when they are asleep".   My Granddad, Flem Dame, told me that.  It keeps the gaminess down.  :D

Jeff

Quote from: Bill in U.P. on February 12, 2007, 10:04:08 AM
Bear roast works very good for corning also. Tastes just like corned beef. I used a recipe almost identical to the one posted.

I wouldn't know.  Bill, Bearkraft or Washere or one of them guys didnt put you up to mentioning Bear did they? ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

I have never seen a wild hog sleeping.  I am clearly going to have to modify my hunting methodology.....................

Burlkraft

Quote from: Jeff B on February 12, 2007, 03:30:26 PM
Quote from: Bill in U.P. on February 12, 2007, 10:04:08 AM

I wouldn't know.  Bill, Bearkraft or Washere or one of them guys didnt put you up to mentioning Bear did they? ;)

That wasn't even fair......accuse US.... ??? ??? ??? :D :D :D smiley_angel02_wings smiley_angel02_wings smiley_angel02_wings
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

I dont recall mentioning your name... :D ;)

Burlkraft

Oh...Sorry......I just lost my head..... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

I think I found it. Is it mounted on a board and looks a little like yogi?

highpockets

I saw an old lady (91) at our church today. I asked her what she knew about curing meat.  She said that when she was young, they normally killed about 6 hogs at a time. She said they had a large box where they cut the meat into hams, middlings, etc. and salted down for some time. Then they hung it in the smokehouse for sometime.  I have gotten different comments for the (sometime) some say 2 days and other say two weeks.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

PineNut

I remember my dad curing pork in salt. Hogs would have to be killed in cold weather so the meat would not spoil until it was cured. The meat would be packed in salt in a large wood box. I don't remember just how long it was in the salt but seems like it was about four to six weeks. Then it would be removed, the salt washed off the surface ant then hung in the "smoke house". We never did actually smoke it. It was kept in the smoke house until we were ready to eat it. It would keep up into the summer and would be rather dry. Some times we had problems with worms (skippers as he called them) getting into the meat. We tried our best to keep flies away from the meat, sometimes placing it in cloth bags with straw around the meat to keep it away from the bags. I do remember that the meat was very salty.

TexasTimbers

I can't add anything to the thread cause I don't know nothin about it. But I'm still up with the coughing/hacking fits can't even lie down - and so it's a good opportunity to say howdy to you highpockets. Howdy. How ya been?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

highpockets

Well thanks for the note. I too have been coughing and hacking for nie on two weeks.  I found out about some new (to me) mucinex that seems to be doing some good.  Since Siberia I have a lot problem with my toes and fingers going numb so I try to stay in when it is cold. 

As for the meat curing, I think I'll consider building a small smokehouse this summer.  That'll give me some time to figure out where I can steal a hog to smoke next winter. 

Hope you get to feeling better.  If not drop by for some muscadine wine.

Louisiana Country boy

scgargoyle

Quote from: Qweaver on February 11, 2007, 05:25:49 PM
Here is the recipe, we really like it

CORNED BEEF/DEER

The meat for this recipe can be either beef or deer.  If using beef brisket, remove all fat.

3 oz. (6 tablespoons) Morton's CURE-TENDER OR TENDER QUICK

10 oz. (1 ¼ CUPS)  Table Salt

10 oz. (1 ¼ cups) Morton's SUGAR CURE or 12 Tlbs sugar and 8 Tlbs  salt.

3 oz. McCormick Mixed Pickling Spices

5 Quarts Water

Mix the table salt, Cure Tender, Sugar Cure and water in a crock or plastic bowl (no metal) I use a large plastic container with a screw on lid to cure the meat in.  (the container that dog treats come is ideal)

Using a large syringe, inject the meat with the solution.
Add  the Pickling Spices to the mixture and place the meat into the solution.  If using a crock or other container with an open top, use a heavy plate to keep the meat submerged.

Allow the meat to cure, refrigerated, for at least 5 days and up to 10 days to insure a complete cure. I shake and turn the container over every few days.

To Cook:  Remove the meat from the solution, rinse and place in a pot with enough UNSEASONED water to cover the top of the meat.  Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for three hours.  Cabbage may be placed on top of the meat during the last 15 minutes of cooking.  If you like a little heat in your meat, :D add your favorite heat producing spice to the meat during the cooking process
The cooked meat freezes quite well.

IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT AND WORK

Thanks for the recipe, Qweaver! We just had our first homemade corned beef yesterday, and it was well worth the wait. Next up, we'll try pork.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

WDH

Qweaver, I am going to try that with deer this fall when the fresh supply comes in. 

Slabs

Since this thead has held in here for a while maybe I should add my experience with curing and smoking.

I was a slughter-house tycoon in a previous life and had a smokehouse and curing operation to accomodate my custom-slaughter customers.  We "cured" the pork hams, shoulders and "middlins" by pumping a brine solution into the hams and shoulders and rubbing the middlins (bacon sides) with a commercially prepared curing product.  The product was mostly salt with some sugar and preservatives and probably other ingredients that I didn't pay attention to.  To of the ingredients that I did pay attention to were sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite for color and flavor retention.  Don't know if those chemicals are still used or even legal.  We left the pumped and rubbed meat in a bin for 14-21 days at 40 degrees,  throughly washed it in hot water afterward and hung it in the "smokehouse" under gas heat and hickory smoke for two-and-a-half days.  Then back under refrigeration until it was sliced and packaged.  (hot meat slices poorly)

If there is one warning that I might emphacise it would be to take care to assure that the curing material gets  throughly aroound the bones and joints in the hams and shoulders.  Dissolved material can be easily pumped into the bone and joints but dry salt and seasonings must be stuffed well into the areas surrounding the bones and joints by opening up around bones with a knife and forcing material well into the meat.

I have had failures even with professional equipment that resulted in spoiled meat so be extremely careful and discard any suspect product.

Good luck
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Polly

8) 8) my dad would wate until cold weather usually around thanksgiving we would have 2 or3 and the neighbors would bring in more one of them that was good with 22 rifle would be his job to do shooting 1 shot between eyes hog would drop another person would cut its throte and then yhev would drag the hog to the scalding box the box would be full of water just the right temp. their would be a hole dug out in the ground and wood fire put in hole under the box their would be a sled backed up to the box on one side the hog would be placed on sled then rolled into the water until the hair started coming loose then back on sled to have the hair removed by scraping from their it would be hung up by its bavk feet the insides removed and hog cut in half their it would hang until the following day and then it would be quartered and the excess fat meat would be sliced off the fat meat would be placed in a iron kettle over an open fire and cooked just the right time the cooked up chunks of fat would be placed in a lard press and the ladr or grease pressed out and put in cans and stored to be used for cooking oil the cracklens or cooked meat that was lext in the press would be used by us kids to eat boy i sure would like to have some hint hint  :D :D now back to curing the meat we would use black pepper salt and brown sugar my brother had the resepee wrote down a little note book when he died the book was lost the mixture was used to coat the hams shoulders and etc in and then hung up in smoke house to cure no smoke was used we just always called the building the smoke house if anyone has amess of fresh tenderloin or some cracklens their would not be to for to come to get some just kidding :D :D :D 8) 8)

WDH

Brings back old memories from when my grandfather was alive in the early 1960's.  Thanks for sharing, Polly.

Polly

8) 8) 8)   i went back and read what i had said about hog killing  :( :( it brought tears to my eyes that was the good old days gone but not forgotten  old memories are nice to have i am still looking for cracklens  wife cooked fat meat in iron skillet one time and pressed grease out pretty good but not same you all have a good day 8) 8) 8) :D

PineNut

Polly. That is the way we did it in North Carolina back in the 1940's. The other thing we did was the making of sausage. Take the trimmings (not small ones either) get it ground, season it and then cook up some to see if it was seasoned just right. The seasoning was salt, sage, black pepper and lots of red pepper. After checking it for the correct seasoning, it was then stuffed. I sure enjoyed the taste test.   

Weekend_Sawyer

This has my interest up and my mouth watering, I LOVE corned beef and really want to try it with deer.

Is it best done with fresh deer or can I take a roast out of the fridge thaw it and then run the process?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Qweaver

Hey Jon,
I've done it both ways, but most often we thaw frozen meat.  Just be sure it is completely thawed so that the injections will enfuse the meat, especially on the bigger pieces.  It's not necessary to inject the smaller pieces, say fist size or smaller.  Keep in mind that the meat will shrink as you cook it.  So if you want to have sandwich size slices, start with pretty large pieces. 
When doing beef brisket, I separate the two muscle groups and remove ALL of the fat and then cut them in half again ( across the grain of course) and this makes perfect sandwich size pieces for slicing.  Small pieces of deer work well  for making corned beef(deer) and cabbage.  I always take the small leg muscles of the deer, slit the membrane on one side, lay the meat open and fillet it off the mambrane like a fish.  These little nuggets of meat are perfect for corning.  Time consuming but worth it.
I've never tried corning pork and would be interested in hearing the result.
Quinton

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks, I will be trying it soon!

Jon

treebucker

Polly,
Your recollection seems eerily similiar to mine. We still have that old iron caldern. It's about 4' across. We would used an axe handle to stir it. After a day of hog killing, and after the chores were done, We'd start a fire under that old iron pot.  We'd fill it with fat and boil it for 2-4 hours then dip the lard out and strain it into 5 gallon lard cans. I used to like the cracklins when I was small but as I grew I suspect I ate too many of them on more than on occasion and now the only way I can eat them is in cracklin cornbread.

We cured our hams and shoulders using the Kentucky Ham method. They were packed in salt, brown sugar, pepper and other ingredients I can't remember. The weather would have to be perfect for this. Ideally hovering around 35 during the day, but not more than 40. Freezing temps were acceptable but delayed curing time. (Ok, it has been a lot of years so I hope I am remembering this correctly.) They were repacked every week. They were left in the mixture for about 3 weeks. You could tell when they quit taking up salt because they would quit sweating and start drying out. At this point we would scrape all the salt off of them, use a ham needle(?) to shove a grass string through the hock and hang them up until the dried. I can't remember exactly how long this took but I think it was 3-6 weeks. They were then taken down, the grass string removed and the ham was wrapped in brown paper and placed in a muslin bag.  I hope I didn't leave out any steps here. When done properly, these hams would keep in the unconditioned meathouse all through the next summer.

We cured the bacons using a similar method. We had an antique hand-crank meat slicer that I would spend a whole day turning to slice the bacon. You have never tasted a BLT until you've tasted one made with salt-cured bacon.

PineNut,
Your recollection on sausage also sounds like mine. We stuffed ours in muslin bags and hung them in the meat house for about 3 weeks. When the bag appeared dry they could be left hanging in cold weather or placed in the freezer for later enjoyment. We trimmed ours to the extreme. There was so little fat that you had to add water to the skillet to get it going. I love sage sausage but I was sage-sausage spoiled as a kid and it has never been the same. :D
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Slabs

Hey treebucker

Might that old iron calderon have possibly been an old syrup kettle?  Does it look like a gigantic World War I "Doughboy" helment turned upside down?  There used to be lots of them in South Alabama  where I grew up and they sereved as hog-scalding kettles after syrup season was over.

Also, part of this thread may have been inadvertently hijacked over on the wheat threashing post.  No harm done there.  I just wanted to share my Mom's innovation on cooking "cracklin bread".  Not to be confused with shortnin bread.  Sorry, I'm still a Stephen Foster follower.

Mom would boil the cracklins for a few minutes to soften the skins or help strip out some of the grease and use the liquor (water) left over in making up the cracklin bread batter.  I've used this method with what I  will call satisfactory results. 

Now that my saliva glands are in high gear I guess I'll have to try out one of those bags of dry cracklins in Wal Mart to see if they come up to measure.

I don't raise hogs and all of us down here are too lazy to slaughter them at home anyway so I'll just be left with my memories.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

SAW MILLER

I still butcher 2 hogs every winter and salt cure and smoke my ham and bacon.In fact I just finished of three Italian sausge sandwiches here at work 8)I ran out of casings so I made pattys out of some of it and it was purty dang good.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

treebucker

Slabs,
The kettle did not have a flair on it. It was made out of ~ 1/2" thick iron and had a rounded bottom. It looks like it would make a dandy planter. I suspect one day it will end up on e-bay.

WDH

Did it have 3 little pointed peg feet and a raised ring around the middle.  We always called those lard pots.  I have seen a lot of those used as planters...........

highpockets

Saw Miller,

I am going to try it next winter.  I need to build a smoke house, and get some sort of cooler to keep the salting meat in.  You advise is appreciated.  Can you drop me a private message sometimes?

Louisiana Country boy

treebucker

Quote from: WDH on March 21, 2007, 10:10:11 PM
Did it have 3 little pointed peg feet and a raised ring around the middle.  We always called those lard pots.  I have seen a lot of those used as planters...........

No on the raised ring and pointed feet. Picture a globe that is cut in half at the equator. In other words the kettle is a perfect semi circle.  The feet are ~3" galvenized pipe that are welded on. Well formed, but they don't look original. There's no indication that the kettle originally had feet.  We would use chains and a tractor with a FEL to move it, or two of us would turn it on edge (a dangerous procedure) and roll it on the rim.

highpockets

I was looking back to March 22 2007 and found where I had promised myself to cure some pork.  Well I could not find any hogs to steal so we have decided to try our hand at trapping. We built a hog trap last week and set it on my cousin's property.  We'll see what happens

Louisiana Country boy

Qweaver

We had a deer lease around Big Wells, Texas that was just full of feral hogs. We trapped one hog and then never could get another one to go into the trap even tho' we would see them around the trap.  We shot a few but the trap was a waste of time for us.

WDH

I had the same experience as Quinton.  Caught one hog in a trap on my place, then after that, nada.  Those critters are smart.

Furby

Or was the trap "marked" by the first one ???

Weekend_Sawyer

I followed Qweaver's recipe and made a corned a deer roast. It was fantastic, the family loved it. I used a 5 gallon glass crock and stirred it once a day. I used a plate to keep it submerged. Definatly will make it again.

Jon

WDH

I definitely have to go back and re-read about the corning process :).

deutz4

Every year we make about 200 pounds of venison and/or pork sausage. We also do several sides of bacon. It is cold smoked and has an aroma and taste that will really grab your attention. If anyone is interested I can throw the recipe on here. 

Qweaver

I'd like to try your recipe.  I'd also like to build a smokehouse and try that too.
Quinton

Weekend_Sawyer

Please do, I would like to hear about your recipe and process!

Jon

Trax

This not about Curing Meat but I thought you might find it interesting. I did this last year and they were some of the most tender and tasty steaks I have ever eaten. I used an untrimmed loin strip and bought flour sack towels at Walmart I changed the towels every day until they stop being soiled from the blood then I changed them every couple days. The meat got pretty dark on the outside which I trimmed off after I cut them into steaks

Dry Aging‏ Beef

1. Only the top grades of beef can be dry aged successfully. Use USDA Prime or USDA Choice - Yield Grade 1 or 2 (the highest quality of Choice) only. These have a thick layer of fat on the outside to protect the meat from spoiling during the aging process.

2. Buy a whole rib-eye or loin strip. [You cannot age individual steaks.] Unwrap it, rinse it well with cold water, and allow it to drain; then pat it very dry with paper towels.

3. Wrap the meat in immaculately clean, large, plain white cotton dish towels and place it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator - which is the coldest spot.

4.  Change the towels each day, replacing the moisture-soiled towels with fresh. Continue to change towels as needed for 10 days, to 2 weeks. (See Step #7 for cleaning towels.)

5. After the desired aging time, you're ready to cut off steaks from each end, trim as desired,  and allow the rest to continue to age in the refrigerator.

6. If, after 21 days, you have not eaten all the meat, cut the remaining piece into steaks, wrap each steak in freezer-proof, heavy-duty plastic wrap, and freeze. The steaks will keep for several months in the freezer.

7.  To clean the towels for re-use, soak the soiled towels, immediately upon removing them from the meat, in cold water overnight. Next, soak them in cold, salted water for 2-3 hours to remove any blood stains. Then launder as usual. [In olden days, butchers used to cover sides of beef with cotton "shrouds" during the aging process - this is essentially the same thing.]

deutz4

Whew! Midway thru your first paragraph, Trax, I thought you were eating lion.

deutz4

Our basic recipe for pork sausage is as follows:

25 lbs. pork (Boston Butt works well)
    7 oz. uniodized salt
    2 oz. pepper
    1/3 cup marjoram

When making venison sausage we usually use a ratio of 20 lb. venison to 5 lbs. pork. This can vary according to the fat content of the pork. For instance boston butt is fairly lean so we will go 18/7 lbs. Side pork is fatty so don't go more than 20/5 otherwise you will have to fry it to be good. Each of us has our own preferences so we also add things such as minced onion, garlic powder,crushed red pepper,etc. We season it just before grinding. This mixes it well without warming the meat. We then stuff it into natural pork casings. The rings are about 11/2 to 2 inches thick and weigh about two pounds. The rings are hung on poles from the ceiling of an 8x8 smokehouse. The fire pot is 1/2 a 55 gallon drum sunk about 6 inches into the dirt floor. A small fire has been started ahead of time. Remember, the object is to smoke the meat NOT cook it. After the meat is in place, we place a large piece of green hardwood (Beech,Maple,Apple) and some green sawdust on the coals. Also partially cover the barrel with the lid. The trick is to create smoke while not smothering the coals. My dad has been doing this for years and very seldom has to rebuild the fire. As long as the temp. is kept above freezing and the smoke is rolling, the meat is being cured. We keep this up 24 hours a day for a week. I like to leave it age in the frig for a week or more before packaging it and freezing it. The pork makes a nice breakfast sausage when slowly fried while the venison is better "raw". Right after the sausage is removed from the smokehouse we go to the local butchershop and buy as many sides of bacon as we need. They inject them with curing solution, we smoke them for a week, then run them thru our meat slicer. The bacon is very aromatic and goes great in baked beans, soups,etc.
A few people in our area still do it this way but it is a dying art. A friend of mine set up his smokehouse with a small 2 burner kitchen woodstove setting outside the building with the stovepipe running thru the wall. This keeps most of the heat well away from the meat. He says it works well.

Mooseherder

We have been testing an Aging Case for Beef the last 6 months using the Middle Meats (Short Loins, Strips, Ribs).
Putting a piece of one of the three mentioned into the case on an alternating basis everyday. (Every 3rd day a Strip would go in.) Date the piece going in to be cut whether we need it or not 21 days later. This is turning into somewhat of a novelty with executives who think customers want this and will pay. For some that may be true but for the most part customers cannot afford it.  It should be associated with the Restaurant trade.
There is alot of shrink associated with the process. Plan on losing 45% of the weight with loss of moisture and having to trim into the lean. I wasn't impressed with the difference although tender it was almost biting into something hollow.

Most Beef is Wet Aged 4 weeks before it is cut by the Butcher. (Should be)
Some companies store their Beef at a Whse. for three weeks. Add the time it takes for shipping and warehousing, then sent and stored at the store. It could be 4-5 weeks Wet aging in the cry-o-vac.  If it isn't that old, it ain't ready yet.
If your getting tough  Rib Eyes, Porterhouse, T-Bones or Strips from your local Butcher that could be their problem.

ely

to those interested, there are a few small mom and pop stores in east texas that sell craklins , not only sell them but they make them on site.
i remember the first time i found them. we walked in thye store and my buddy who is alot younger than me says "what smells"? i say that is craklins. i bought some and ate all i could hold, he threw the rest out the window while i slept. i coould have beat him.

limbrat

highpockets
I dont remember his name and i am sure you know him. He and his family have that little store on the west side of Pleasant Hill i think he said it use to be a school. I have not seen him in a couple of years but back then he was playing with making and smoking sausage. I dont know who his grocery supplier is but he can probably get small amounts of cureing salts and seasonings to Pleasant Hill for you. And i think he has a free standing smoke house you could nose around in if you can get away from him once he starts talking.
ben

highpockets

Limbrat,

The store is Gregory's.  As a matter of fact the sausage receipt is my father in laws who gave it to Jerry Gregory thirty years ago.   The problem is he did not leave us a copy. Kenneth Barnes now owns the store. Kenneth was out here last week for me to machine a bronze bushing to his old grinder.  I did ask him if he would season some sausage meat for me.  I am waiting for the hogs to get into our trap and I'll be ready.   
Louisiana Country boy

Polly

8) about hogs being smart my grandaughter has one about six months old that runs loose in their yard his name is wilbur you get in their yard he will come up to you and grunt and smell your leg he plays with family dog he has got his own little woodmixer house and an old quilt he wraps himself up in  :D i have got no idea the end of this story :D :D

tonich

Weekend_Sawyer

I had some of my corned venisin in the freezer. Last night The Lovely Miss Celest and I had it with potatoes and cabage with a couple of carrots thrown in for color :)
That was a good meal.

highpockets

Well the hog trapping project ain't going well so no meat to cure yet.  We do have another area that is promised to us after deer season.  Yall hang on, this story will continue
Louisiana Country boy

Qweaver

We have our first deer of the season hanging and we'll be cutting meat to corn today.  We'll be eating corned deer and cabbage in 2 weeks.
BTW, if you like liver and you haven't tried deer liver...try it.  It's so much better than beef that you can't even compare it.
Quinton

Weekend_Sawyer

And heart. The heart is, in my opinion, the best part. sliced and fried like medalion steaks.
Mmmm good!

Ron Scott

Also try pickled heart. Great on crackers.
~Ron

olyman

heart,tongue,liver--youse guys and gals feel ok????--me think not-----------

beenthere

Quote from: olyman on December 05, 2007, 03:55:38 PM
heart,tongue,liver--youse guys and gals feel ok????--me think not-----------

Meaning what?  ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Aint much I wont eat when it comes to meat . Brains are good too . They have a slite fishy taste .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LeeB

Just put a brisket in to soak. I love a good ruben and wanted to try my hand at corned beef.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

So, how was the rueben?

LeeB

Still pickling. I figure it will be ready in about 2-3 more days. I been busy eating smoked brisket, pork tenderloin, chicken breast and venison sausage the last 2 days any way. Probably need to vegetarian a few days before I tackle that.  ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Too much of a good thing is a good thing in my opinion :D.

LeeB

The corned beef was fantastic. the brisket was a little tough so the sandwiches didn't turn out too good, tasty as heck but a little hard to eat.

Thank You Sponsors!