The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: cancelled orders  (Read 8280 times)

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
Re: cancelled orders
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2001, 11:37:25 AM »
Slim Pickens was a character actor who was in a movie called "Dr. Strange love" or subtitled "How i learned to love the bomb" He was in a infamous scene where he is riding a nuclear bomb like a horse as it is dropped from a plane, yelling "Yee Ha!"

You never saw that? Has anybody saw it?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline Kevin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2001, 01:46:55 PM »
No, I wouldn`t have seen that here.
I`m pretty sure that`s illegal here, dangerous too.

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Share Post
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2001, 04:54:20 PM »
I saw Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove many years ago. But way before that he always played the "sidekick" to Star Cowboys in the old westerne movies. My favorite sidekick, as a boy, was Smily Burnette.

I had my home built in '95 and I know all the studs came from Canada. I get the impression that the lumber companies in Minnesota get their construction lumber from Canada. Recently though I'm hearing that because of some kind of "Deal" with the U.S. has run out, the lumber from Canada is doubling in price which will surely drive up the cost of building. Because I'm not savy to business dealings, I don't know if that is good or bad for the U.S. lumber market.  ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Offline Kevin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2001, 05:24:23 PM »
Charlie;
Sounds to me like an even out for you because you can buy it at half the price considering the exchange rate these days.

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Share Post
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2001, 12:53:11 PM »
I'm OK 'cause my home is built. From what I hear, the local lumber companies stocked up on the lumber from Canada at the old price, but when that is gone, then the prices will rise. What that will do is one of two things I figure. New homes will be a lot more expensive to build or lumber companies will find a new source for their wood. I guess the reason I brought it up was that maybe, the rising price of lumber in Canada will make U.S. lumber more competitive and possibly the lumber companies will start purchasing from U.S. mills. Maybe, that will open up some that have closed down. I don't know though....time will tell.  :-/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2001, 03:02:47 PM »
I found a reference to what I think you're talking about Charlie, in the Journal of Light Construction,june '01.

The 5 year old softwood lumber agreement between US and Canada has expired at the end of March. NAHB and most builders orgs. are happy and say the agreement added $1000 to the price of homes. They claimed the agreement essentially subsidized large landowners and US lumber co's.

Lumber producers accused the Canadians of  susidized timber and filed suit asking for a 40% tariff.

The NAHB's economist says for the next few months it will just add more volatility to an already volatile market.(he shoulda been a weatherman)

Glad I just bang nails and let those guys try to outguess each other. :-/
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2001, 05:04:53 PM »
   I know this will step on a few toes, and I apologize. But there is more than 1 way to look at this. 1 way is to acknowledge that the cutting, sawing, and marketing of timber is y'alls bread and butter- and so when the brakes go on , you are hurtin for certain.

Another way is from an ecological standpoint. Much has been made of the fact that in the 'old days' giant trees were around, providing magnificent saw wood, from all reports. Lack of demand seen from this standpoint allows the trees to stay in the living state and hopefully grow and improve in value.

That is, if you can afford to go without cutting and sawing.

This downturn is not helping you- but- it is a potentially good time for investment in woodlands. Get em, hold onto em. If you can outlast the downturn, your investment will have increased in value by a natural, organic means. No investment in internet technology stocks, or any other type of stock. Just real life.

But going hungry is also real life. I guess a lot depends on whether or not your mill is already paid for- and how much debt you are shouldering from other sources. IF you were sitting pretty there and invested in the market- I say it's time to get out of there and back into the woods.

Am I nuts, or what? ::)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline timberbeast

• I Got nothin' to say :o)
    • Share Post
    • Timber Buyers Network Contact Page
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2001, 04:16:37 AM »
You're not nuts,  and you didn't step on my toes,  LW.  Seems where I cut,  pulp is bringing a lot of interest now.  Demand for Cedar is down,  but prices are up.  195/cord for 7 inch stuff.  95/cord for 3 inch posts......so I mill the bigger stuff I cut and sell the tops.  But I'm small time.  I cut on my own land,  and there are places I won't cut,  just because I like them the way they are.  I'll never be rich,  but I get by.  If I can't buy something,  I make it.  Or my wife does.  Don't stop expressing your opinion,  it's valued!
Where the heck is my axe???

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cancelled

Started by Magicman on General Board

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2015, 12:59:10 PM
by sandhills
xx
Cancelled meeting with publisher

Started by macurtis on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post March 08, 2002, 05:07:08 AM
by Bibbyman