iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smells that make me happy

Started by Pete J, March 05, 2007, 03:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Quote from: Paul_H on March 06, 2007, 09:57:56 PM
When I was a kid I liked the smell of gas when we filled up at the gas station.

You and me both...particularly the smell of the gas being filled up on a long road trip with the family, which was usually the time I wanted to be outside, helping dad pump the gas.  That brings back some fond memories...

I'm working on planning a road trip with my dad, brothers and nephews up into the U.P., for this summer.  Hopefully, it will turn into an annual trip with the male members of the family, and I'll be outside again, pumping gas with dad...and my nephews.   :)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Mooseherder

I like alot of the smells mentioned and would like to add a few. ;D
The smell of a Puppy.
Steak or Chicken cooking on an open flame.
Walking into a Bakery in the morning.
Dunkin Donut Coffee.
Old Hot Rods.
I got more but dey are all food related. ;)

DanG

Quote from: Mooseherder on March 06, 2007, 10:16:11 PM

I got more but dey are all food related. ;)

Three of the five you listed were food related too, Mooseherder.  Hmmmmm.  What is that telling us? ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

Quote from: DanG on March 06, 2007, 10:19:34 PM

Three of the five you listed were food related too, Mooseherder.  Hmmmmm.  What is that telling us? ;D :D :D

I broke the 200 lb mark last week. ;D
200 lbs. ain't bad if your six foot I guess.
I'm just a few inches short of da mark. :D

blaze83

hear we go, in particular order

1}  my mom's home made chili in the crockpot.  she starts it about 8am and by the time 2 o'clock rolls by my dad and I are circling the crockpot like a couple of vultures

2) 2 cycle exaust mixed with fresh cut douglas fir or lodge pole pine

3) west coast trout stream in the early morning

4) hot dog vender at a baseball game

5) ponderosa pine forest on a hot day
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

WDH

The smell of good fried catfish while having the honor of meeting and dining with Radar67 in Collins, MS tonight.  Priceless.........First it was Sgtmaconga, then DanG, then Radar67.  Where will it all end ?  I want to meet all ya'll 8).  Piggy roast, here I come ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

Yeah, we had a good visit...and a fine meal. :) Once you get started meeting folks, it is almost as addictive as sawdust, just can't seem to meet enough of em. You have a safe trip Danny, and stop back by whenever you get the chance.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

I will definitely be back. You are gonna need some help stacking all that lumber for the new house ;) ;).  Ah, the smell of drying lumber..........makes me happy :D.  (What this really means is that I will get to eat more Mississippi catfish, the best in the world.  If you want to try it, Collins, MS is a good place to start).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

I was just telling the wife you might get tired of me helping you tail all your lumber when I come over to Augusta for that 5 month school.  ;)

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Paschale

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 06, 2007, 10:43:25 AM
Ahh, a good scotch, nectar of the gods 8)

What's your fave?  I'm a fan of Oban myself, and Talisker.  Gotta love a good bottle of Scotch!   8)

Modat22

1. the smell of clean cotton sheets that have been out on a line.

2. Fresh cut grass or hay

3. honeysuckle (love the smell hate the vines)

4. the smell of an incomming rain storm.

5. pecan pie baking in the oven.

6. a weird one but I like the smell of horses
remember man that thy are dust.

Engineer

Quote from: Paschale on March 07, 2007, 12:39:01 AM

What's your fave?  I'm a fan of Oban myself, and Talisker.  Gotta love a good bottle of Scotch!   8)

Macallan, or Laphroaig.  Also get into Jamieson's occasionally, although Irish Whisky really ain't the same thing.   ;D

tcsmpsi

I am very disillusioned. :'(  Used to be, I thought Gusana Rojo was the nectar preferred by the gods.  Or, maybe it was just the worm talking.  They do that, you know. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D I try to stay clear of that stuff. Paschale, you are a man of class, none of that blended stuff here either.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OneWithWood

Quote from: Engineer on March 07, 2007, 10:33:26 AM
Quote from: Paschale on March 07, 2007, 12:39:01 AM

Macallan, or Laphroaig.  Also get into Jamieson's occasionally, although Irish Whisky really ain't the same thing.   ;D

Oban, Talisker, Macallan, Laphroaig, Balviene, Highland Park, Glenmorangie, Dalwhinnie, Cardhu, Bowmore, Glendronach, Lagavulan.  They all have their own special qualities.  However, I am most fond of the one that is in front of me at any given time  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawguy21

Those are all excellent choices for a glass to be shared with friends.The Laphroaig certainly has a unique smell and taste.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OneWithWood

Yes.  I particularly like the Laphroaig 10 yr.  A very clean taste.  It sure would be nice if we could meet up somewhere and raise a glass.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Hi-Country Orange

a blended coconut rum drink relaxing on a beach smelling the tropical waters  :)  8)  8)

Nancbee

Quote from: DanG on March 06, 2007, 09:56:32 PM
When I was a little bitty kid, my Granddaddy would come in the house and jam his old hat onto my head.  Of course, it would fall right down over my face.  I will never forget the scent of that old hat, and OH would I love to smell it again.

Yes, I feel the same way about my Dad's hat...that manly smell of a sweat band! Thank God that he's still with me at age 96!
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

BigTrev

Well I am a Grant by clan so I tend to favor our family stock, Grants and Glenfiddich. Found out a few years ago a good mate of mine is a grant as well so we have been trading bottles back and forth for special occasions ever since, at least we always know what to get for each other at Christmas :D
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

Paschale

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 07, 2007, 11:19:54 AM
Those are all excellent choices for a glass to be shared with friends.The Laphroaig certainly has a unique smell and taste.

The Laphroig definitely has a unique taste--in a good way, but you're got to really be in the mood for a smoky tasting Scotch.  Goes well with a nice cigar.   ;D  MacCallan is mighty fine--had the opportunity to share some 18 yr old MacCallan, and it was nice and smooth.

I realized I'm out of Scotch...might have to make a run.  This talk of fine smelling Scotch is giving me the itch.  I do have some Woodford Reserve Bourbon in the house--that's one of my fave bourbons, fwiw. 

WDH

Yes, Nancbee,  you are lucky. 

Glenfiddich, now that is fine..... ::)

fat olde elf

Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Woodbender

No particular order

Going across the Mackinac Bridge with the windows rolled down.

Sitting on a rocky granite outcrop in the Minnesota Boundary Waters with my son and smelling warm earth and northern cedar buds.

Smelling my wife's home ground whole wheat bread fresh out of the oven when I walk in the door after work.

The smell of a very intense lightening storm. It's a great smell as long as you are not paddling across open water with your butt encased in a wet aluminum canoe.  :o WooHOO!
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

Paschale

Forgot one of my all time favorite smells:

The smell of a pine forest you're hiking through in the heat of the day in the middle of summer.  If you could bottle that, you'd make a fortune!   8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!