iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

luthier school (with pictures)

Started by getoverit, March 13, 2007, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

This is a great thread. I've built a lot of specialized tools and machines for luthiers- mostly arch-top jazz guitar makers. I've worked a lot with Bob Benedetto, who used to also be in eastern PA (what is it, the water?) but now resides and works out of Florida. Despite all the hype, I've found that it is the maker, not the materials that determine a great instrument. To prove a point, Benedetto once made a beautiful guitar out of #2 pine from a big box store, knots and all. The sound was pretty much indistinguishable from one made out of old growth carefully aged spruce. I've built a few instruments myself, mostly string basses, cuz I could never afford to buy one! My dream is to build a harpsichord some day.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

WDH

Do you have a pic of the string bass?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

getoverit

I taked to a fellow last night that wanted me to see if I could build him a "dog house" bass and then give him a price on building it. by any chance do you have a set of blueprints?

I bent the sides with a combination of the pipe bender to get the waist in place, then putting it in a mold to finish it off. This is the quickest and most accurate way to do it and you dont get any "flat spots".

We were taught the art of bending using nothing but the iron, but I'm afraid it would take a lot of practice to become totally proficient using that method.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

scgargoyle

I built my first bass by copying an old Kay. The second one I built out of a book by Harry Wake. Actually, the first one sounded better! I don't have any pics (it was a long time ago) but my Mom might have some- I'll ask the next time I'm up her way. Right now, I'm building an electric upright, since the regular basses are just too big and fragile to haul around, and most folks end up amplifying them anyhow. It is my own design, with a vestigial semi-hollow body to add some more acoustic sound to it. I haven't worked on it in some time- maybe I better get busy!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

WDH

I have been thinking about getting an electric upright.  A good one is thousands of dollars.  Hauling the old upright around is a major task.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Looks like a handsome guitar Ken. Great pics. Love it. Somehow I missed this thread. Some of you guys are sly at slipping these posts by me. ;D I'm sure the folks will enjoy hearing you play at the piggy roast.  Don't know if i want to hear Jeff's singing though. ;) :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tomboysawyer

Awesome work! Thanks for the thread. I've been hoping to come across some nice curly maple as I mill to save for my local luthier to make us some guitars.

Thank You Sponsors!