iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mahogany Seed Fruit Wedges

Started by Mooseherder, March 14, 2007, 06:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Well, your obviously doing something right.  ;D They look good. Now all ya need is a blight or something.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Having trouble with my camera tonight. The best looking tree ain't loading.
It has 3 times the branches and leaves.

One theory(belief) I have learned from this to make a frame outta wood or PVC and screen the frame in until tree has hardened off. Basically the framed screen could be pounded down into the ground around the tree then re-use frame and screen on other trees when these are more mature. All though this theory hasn't been proven yet. I think if I were to transplant these into the ground right now and protect them from harsh elements for a while they would grow to be healthy trees.
Gonna try that up north too with some northern type seedlings also. ;)  Might work on the Deer brouse also.
Another observation is the trees planted in the bigger pots from original transfer from mass tray are much better looking. I really gotta get the rest of them in bigger pots soon. ::)

WDH

Very nice, Mooseherder.  It seems the ones in the bigger pots had more nutrients and more room for root development.  I guess they adapt to their environment, be it large or small. 

They do look good!.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Thanks. Here is the nicest one . :)
The second pic is with the newest Coconut sprout. ;D

WDH

They look happy together.  A monocot and a dicot.  Kind of like Romeo and Juliett :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jon12345

I've been wondering, are all these little containers in the public view? Gotten any visits from the police  ???  :D

I plan on doing a seeding expirament myself when I can collect some seeds of different northern hardwoods, probably sugar maple and cherry, possibly even some of the cedar and juniper shrubberies that grow around our house.  :)

A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Mooseherder

Quote from: jon12345 on August 11, 2007, 08:51:24 AM
I've been wondering, are all these little containers in the public view? Gotten any visits from the police  ???  :D

:D :D
There was a time back in 1979............. ;D

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Mooseherder

These 4 Mahogany are the same age and conditions except for the largest pot which has been out of shelter for 2 weeks.
The one in the biggest Pot was transplanted from the White Cup 2 weeks ago and the crown has really started to spread.  ;)
The 3 on the right were all transplanted from the community bin into the cups and Pot at the same time. Wish I had about 150 more of them pots. You can see a big difference in their progress. There are some in cups smaller than these but the majority are looking like center white cup. Pencil thrown in for scale. ;D

Furby

I might be able to get ya them pots, but shipping would be a killer!
Get ahold of a local landscaper.
NOT your landscape supply place (but you can try them as well ;) ) and ask if they can save ya some pots.
The ones I deal with throw them out by the tons! :o

Mooseherder

Thanks Furby, I'll try that. ;)

Mooseherder

We got the bigger Pots from a Landscape supply and transplanted a few about a month ago. Still have about a hundred to go, but they are all looking good still. Either too busy, too hot and sometimes just lazy. ;D
Here is a Picture from last week on the Mahogany in bigger pots.

One of the Mature trees has a 2nd crop of seed on it for this year. Pretty odd Eh?
I picked some up off the grass. Looks like they're falling off pre-maturely allthough the ones on the tree look healthy.

Got to go get some dirt. :D

Furby

Did they charge ya for the pots?

Mooseherder

Yep, 40 cents each.
They're the ones that are a little bigger, like the one to the right of the white buckets.
The landscapers I talked to didn't want to part with any of theirs.

Furby

Figures! :-\
Can't blame them for trying to make a $ though.
I've seen a customer's customer pay $1 each for some 1 gallon ones....... used at that. ::)

Mooseherder

Found this little feller out on the back deck this morning.

Went to take alook at the tree and 3 of the Pods had shed their outter wedges and luckily hadn't taken off in the wind which I can't understand cause it is really windy.
I got to save the 3 pods worth of seeds if anyone wants to experiment.

Here is another about to shed the outter covering.

Mooseherder

Here is an update on the progess of the Trees.  This is the same tree that was designated the tallest earlier on in this thread, closing in on 6 foot.

There are still over 50 that never got planted in larger pots but are still alive although not looking great in their orginal large coffee cups.(cause I was lazy)  The rest are anywhere from 2-4 feet and looking good.

Just have to decide if I should plant them all out back or give them away so there will be less weed wacking. ;D

SwampDonkey

Wow, you have quite a little nursery. They're looking good. That's a lot of tree planting though. Got the back for it? ;D  ;)

Think they'll grow in northern Maine? ;)

Mooseherder

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 15, 2008, 04:45:54 PM
Think they'll grow in northern Maine? ;)

No, I don't think they would make it in the next zone north of here.
I got the back for planting but not weed wacking. :D

WDH

Mooseherder

Time for an Update: :)
These pictures are from November.  I shoulda posted them earlier. ;D
I have more seed saved and the trees are still producing.

The first shows how big they have got.  The tallest is still by the house at around eight feet.
I'm holding a cup with original seedlings still alive.  Amazing the trees are all the same age.  I never did finish transplanting.  I have offered them to a young man who purchased some land west of me looking for some trees.  I will give him a few large ones also.
There are some Coconuts in the mix up front and back. :)
The two pots bottom right of photo are Queen Palms grown from seed off a tree. :)

Here is the Backside.

And the trees still in cups. ::)

WDH

Mooseherder, you have a green thumb ;D.

Mooseherder

I got lucky.   8)

Even some Pine Trees fell into the mix and said "here I am" :D

WDH

Looks like that you are growing some oxalis in there as well :).

Thank You Sponsors!