iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Effective signs?

Started by Jeff, March 27, 2007, 10:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max sawdust

OWW, It took years for us to get rid of one or two " stubborn" ones.  The only way we did was to regularly use the parcel.

Joan,
The camera idea crossed my mind, I was afraid the whack that was tearing down the signs would have stole the camera.  So what were the cops doing on your land without a warrant? ???  Can they do that?
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

sprucebunny

Max, if you want to keep the bad guys off the trail, you have to let the good guys patrol it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Max sawdust

I did not know they offered that service ;)  Our police barely have cars let alone Atvs.  ;)
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Jeff

There is a state police post in De Tour. One officer, one car.  He knows where a key is for the cabin. So far we have never had a break in knock on wood. We have however went up in the middle of the winter more then once to find his business card laying on the table.  He not only stops by, he comes in and makes sure the place is still buttoned up inside.  Of course this is with our full permission.   One car, one officer.  I ride down the road once on the quad without my helmet and he catches me. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Jeff
Brings up a good point.....apparently there is a helmet law for the UP ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

All of Michigan. However enforcement on private property seems like it could get pretty sticky. I dont wear a helmet off road on my property.

It's the Law—Required Equipment

Before an ORV may be operated on any property, the operator is responsible for ensuring that the vehicle and its riders have the required equipment.
For Operators and Passengers

ORV operators and all passengers must wear a U.S. Department of Transportation–approved crash helmet and protective eyewear or goggles except when the ORV is equipped with an approved roof and the operator and passengers are wearing properly adjusted and fastened safety belts.
For Off-Road Vehicles

The ORV must be equipped with the following.

* Braking System: A braking system in good working condition that operates by either hand or foot
    * Throttle System: A throttle system designed to automatically and immediately return the engine speed to idle when pressure is released
    * Spark Arrester and Muffler: A U.S. Forest Service–approved spark arrestor and muffler in good working condition, in constant operation, and meeting applicable sound-level standards (see Sound Emission Regulations)
    * Seating: Designed, manufactured accommodations for seating for each passenger
    * Lights: If operated during the hours of one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, the ORV also must have and display all of the following:
          o A lighted headlight
          o A lighted taillight
          o A brake light, brighter than the taillight

SwampDonkey

I don't get many trespassers, maybe 1 every 2 or 3 years. One guy left and old beat up axe and garbage bag on the trail. They were tipping and must have been a wet tip , because it rained after i was their in the morning and the next morning I found the evidence. And anther guy I walked up to as he was tipping my fir and lied about where he thought he was, and if he was were he thought he was, he was also breaking the law without a permit.  ::)

My trails are walking only, so I don't get many. Once in awhile someone will also venture in looking for moose. They can have all they want, but would be interesting getting it out.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Jeff, do you happen to have a definition of "approved roof"?
The buggies, jeeps and sand rails on the dunes have nothing but roll bars, and no one wears a helmet in them, so I assume a roll bar is approved.

Jeff

I'm guessing it means factory roof.

Corley5

You're not required to wear a helmet in a vehicle such as a JD Gator that has a top speed of 25mph or less.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

I would think it meant 'factory' as well.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

That being the case, it's not being enforced by the state on the dunes.

bugmeist

I drove down from Ontario to Michigan a few years ago via Sarnia.  Saw a field on the Michigan side that was posted with signs that said:  "If I can see you- you're in range."    I doubt many tested whether it was tongue in cheek.
100 acres, Lucas 618, Universal Tractor w/loader, chainsaws, cant hooks and not enough time to play!
Fear is temporary...regret is forever.   www.bugshirt.com

Jeff

My signs came in Friday. They look pretty good!  ;D smiley_smug01

SwampDonkey

I need one for butternut research.  :D :D

WDH

I need one for Poison Ivy research ;D.  Good looking sign, Boss ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Rokky Rakkoon

i saw this one near Lanse, MI.

Jeff

That one aint goona slow anyone down in our end of da U.P.  :D

Jeff

Apparently none of my signs are effective to those that think a powerline right-of-way are public highways. I had a couple quads go right up through the middle a couple weeks ago mowing down the row of corn and sun flowers I had been cultivating. So, its time to seei if a fence will be effective. I'll have a 16 foot entrance for the power company around the end. I wont lock it until I'm given reason to do that too.

I'm harvesting Tamarack that were killed last summer by our drought. They should make a fine fence. I've been cutting a tree, then skidding with my beloved Logrite arch, then sawing material from that tree, the assembling fence, then cutting the next tree. I have the fence a little over half done and as of this morning probably have enough logs cut to finish. The fence is built in an arc for added strength so its taking more material then it might have it were straight.  I'll add further strength with the old stop sign posts I have driven in on an angle as anchors for support cables attached to the fence.

Mooseherder

I see you put Pete to work. ;D
It is pretty sad when people don't know how to read or blatantly disregard others property.  >:(
You need one of these. ;D

Jeff

I want one!! 8) 8)

Loaded up for work tomorrow. :)

isawlogs

Thats gonna be quite a nice fence , you going to cut out the little spruce trees on this fence too ???

I had a guy go and turn in my hay field here this summer while I was putting up private road signs  ::)  He was looking for a road that showed up on his GPS that has not been for at least forty years a public road . I asked him if it was the hay bales ... the gate he went through or the grass growing in the field he did not see .  ::) 
  His GPS was telling him where to go ... I also told him where he could be going .  ;D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

Marcel,
He didn't see the sign that said no GPS. ;D

isawlogs

Maybe I should get me one of those  :D :D

Some are so oblivious to there suroundings when they get here it aint funny . They relye on the GPS so much that they dont see the CUL DE SAC  signs , two of them ... You tell them they need go back and turn left at the stop sign cross the bridges and turn left again ....
They dont recall crossing no bridge .. or train tracks or turning off the pavemant  but where not coiming from Vermont , well we have a problem here , that or ya might want to share some of the smoke  :D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

crtreedude

Just catching up a bit here Jeff.

One thing I let people know in the area is that I don't mind them fishing in the rivers (it is the law here that they can) but I do mind if they cause any damage, or leave any trash.

Someone once saw my bow and asked a worker "Does Don Fred hunt?", the answer came back "You, if you tresspass..."

We don't have any signs, everyone knows where our properties are since we maintain our fences.

We also have people who live on the fincas full-time, which helps a lot.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!