iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain Grinders

Started by Rob, March 18, 2003, 02:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hills_logging

several companies make a 12volt had held grinder thats pretty cheap($30-40). they are kinda like a dremmel tool. They work ok, if you don't get along with a file.
bill

jokers

Hey Rob, did you get a grinder yet? Grinders are just like every other means of sharpening chain, there is a learning curve. There are also other aspects to consider such as wheel speed and diameter. Too high a speed requires a very deft touch to avoid burning. The smaller diameter wheels also seem to be harder to center properly so that you get an even and symetrical grind on both sides. I won`t profess to know everything about grinders but I will gladly share my experiences. I have found that with the 511A type grinders it pays to have a cheap set of locking calipers handy to check the length of the first side ground and then adjust to grind the other side to an equal length. You don`t even need to read the caliper, just slap it on the short point of the sideplate and lock it then adjust the other side accordingly. I find that the right side of the 511A s usually grinds slightly shorter if you don`t compensate. You may also find that the depth of grind adjustment varies from side to side. It takes a little trial and error to get a perfect grind but once you get used to your particular grinder it becomes an unconscious second nature. A nice to have feature if you run chisel chain is a tilting chain vise to put the proper 10° bevel on the inside of the top plate. I`ve tried all different ways of sharpening and I believe that the proper bevel does make a difference. For Oregon chain, which is what I primarily run, the factory sharpening specs all call for the 10°s, seems important to them also. The 511A types tilt, with the exception of the hydraulic clamping models, and the Silvey 510 and 300 have the tilt built in. Another nice feature for a grinder is a reversable motor or some other means of getting the grinding burr on the inside of the tooth. Current 511As won`t do this but the Max allows you to spin the vise around to emulate a reversable motor and the vise also slides fore and aft for centering the wheel. I too have the diagram to convert the 511A to reversable but it requires the addition of a switch, getting a duplicate to the switches in the factory wired reversable grinders seems better. There are several older grinders around like the Foley 394 and Bell K245 that work very well also. Keep your eyes peeled on ebay and you may find a deal. Sorry for the long post, I could actually post more, LOL.

Russ

Rob

Russ,

Thanks for the info I appreciate it,no I have'nt gotten a grinder yet I have been debating switching over to square ground chains so I may be looking for a Silvey Razur Sharp instead but I guess we'll wait an see..Thanks again amd your right the 10* does make a difference.

Rob.

smwwoody

Hi  Rob

Ive been logging on the east coast for 15 years now and ran a saw shop for about 9 years.  I had a 511A in the shop mainly to sharpen chains for the firewood cutters that would come in with them stoned half way back the cutter.  it worked great.  we always hand file all of our roung ground chain.  Unless you hit some thing real bad.  then once we get a bunch of stoned chains piled up I will dress them up with the grinder.  This works well just remember with the small diameter and high speed wheel like on the 511A it is real easy to burn the cutters.  just take it slow and easy gring off a little at a time you may have to make like 8 or so passes on each side of the chain to save a bad one.

sively is the only way to go with the square ground.

we run a lot of square groung chain on our felling saws and realy like it.  it is real tough to hand file you are better off if when you have to hand file a square groung chain to just go after it with a round file and sharpen it like you would a normal oregon LG chain.  you just won't have those little ref lines to go by on top of the cutters.  but if you have been sharpening for as long as you have been in the woods the angle on the cutters should be second nature for you
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Rob

Hi woody,

Thanks for the tips,I have been looking into the Silvey grinders alot lately I think I will be purchasing one hopefully within the next month or so,I have run alot of Square Ground CL on my 385XP an I just like the chain for it's smoothness in cutting,plus it's a tad bit faster cutting than a LG chain  ;D..believe me I have no problem filing LG chains by hand with or without the engraved top plate angle,I've been doing it long enough now I know the angle.Well I will keep you guys posted as too what grinder I buy soon..thanks again

Rob.

KiwiCharlie

G'day Rob,
You cant go wrong with a Silvey!  I always say its worth waiting a bit and buying the best you can get.  Do let us know how you get on!
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Thank You Sponsors!