iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saturday sawing

Started by Norm, March 23, 2003, 05:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Stationary custom sawing like you do offers many more twists than I have to deal with.  I just travel to them, saw what they have into what they want, and then it's off to the next job.

I admire your ability to meet your customer's needs with what you have, and retain your sanity.   ;)   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

thanks bibby,
i would imagine in the spirit of being the one man band, i will be the guy on the chainsaw and loadr and truck driver and unloader as well as the fella sawin them up so i probably wont accumulate 100's of logs very fast anyway.

mm,
i think you are delusional if you think that i have any sanity left. did you read about my saturday?  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

paul case

had another one of those saturday sawing experiences today.
got to the mill at noon after doing other chores all morning. made pallet boards all afternoon with a few interruptions
neighbors grandson came by to harrass me for 15 minutes.
another neighbor came by and ordered a thick board for his shop bench. 30 minutes.
yet another neighbor came by to tell me he is bringing me 2 logs this week. i am not holding my breath since he has done this before but no logs yet. 20 minutes.
my wife and 9yo brought me a cold drink. 10 minutes.
neighbor lady stopped by to pick up 15 sq bales of hay. 30 minutes.
i think i had 4 phone calls too.

all that and i got to the house at 830 pm and managed to get about 750 pallet boards sawn and end trimmed.
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

tyb525

I take it noone saws on Saturday anymore? ;D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Kansas

If we aren't running seven days a week, its because Sunday is reserved for fixing up what broke down during the other 6 days. I cannot remember the last time we didn't have the mills fired up on Saturday. 

Chuck White

I start sawing on Saturday's and Sunday's during the school year in the Spring and end up sawing Saturday's and Sunday's during the school year in the Fall.

In between, when school is out for the Summer, I'm sawing any day that I have a customer to saw for, which is usually non-stop.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

If I remember correctly, we were putting Sunday sawing in here as well. The weather was nice this weekend, so we worked on our little load of locust. Sawed for about 3 1/2 hours this afternoon. Made parts for a wood shed, raised garden boxes and in the back is side lumber for tomato stakes. A bit muddy, but that's better than a foot of snow and cold. ;D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Good deal!  Where is the green grass  :)  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

The green grass is on back order. Should be here in April.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

I have some extra if you need any  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WDH on March 11, 2013, 09:06:50 PM
I have some extra if you need any  :).

Reminds me of what my Dad said about Yard Sales: "If you bought one, how would you get it home?"

Herb

Dave Shepard

Had an emergency order for a 26' hardwood 8"x8" for Tuesday. Only thing I had was red oak. It was a real mudsicle by the time I got it out of the woods and to the mill. It sawed out perfectly clear on all four sides. It's a shame it wasn't being used in a building. Going to be full of lag bolt holes soon. :( I think I now know why debarkers  were invented. :D

mmartone

I'm going to saw today! I have my last log of pile #2 waiting by the ramps. Jack Daniels called me on Wednesday evening and said he had a builder he does work for needed 2 fireplace mantels the next day, I met them at my place and she had a look around. I had a short fat syp log with alot of knots I had been saving for something, so after an hour of discussion with this lady who didnt really know exactly what she wanted we sawed it into some 4" slabs and chainsawed to length. Spent a few hours the next morning squaring up the corbels on Jacks joiner and table saw, cleaning up the chainsawn edges, Jack delivered them and picked up the check. So I'm going to saw that last log then move the mill to the next pile and start on it.

Heres the longer and prettier one!
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

FarmingSawyer

Ok...so it's Sunday.... But heck. It's a balmy 18˚ out and I'm headed out to saw myself some partially frozen Spruce! Wish me luck!! ;D
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

paul case

Today is Saturday and it got me thinking about this thread this morning as I sawed out 40- 5/8x4x8' ERC trim boards for my youngest son's girlfriends' dad.

Lots of sawing and not much heavy handling. $100 on a Saturday morning on the old mill aint too bad!

PC
pc

ElectricAl

100 bucks is better than no bucks. Well, unless you went hunting.  ;D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: ElectricAl on December 02, 2017, 01:03:47 PM
100 bucks is better than no bucks. Well, unless you went hunting.  ;D

Or fishing...

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!