The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: A Flowering Plant That You Can ID...Solved!!.....Maple-Leaf Viburnum  (Read 7926 times)

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: A Flowering Plant That You Can ID
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 11:25:04 PM »
Some of the leaves on this plant are distinctly 3 lobed.  Look at the last pic in the background on the top left quadrant of the pic.  See the distinct 3-lobed leaves?  I think that it might be maple-leaf viburnum (Viburnum acerifolium).  It is definitely either maple-leaf or arrowwood viburnum.  Sometimes maple-leaf viburnum will have unlobed leaves.  How about arrowwood viburnum.  Does it sometimes have 3-lobed leaves?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Dodgy Loner

• Forester
  • It's an anagram for "dendrology" and in no way a reflection of my personality
    • Share Post
    • My Blog: A Riving Home
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »
Are you sure the one in the background with the 3-lobed leaves isn't a different plant? ???  I've seen maple-leaf viburnums that had a few unlobed leaves, but the leaves still had acuminate tips.  The close-up leaves lack acuminate tips.  I've also never seen an arrowwood viburnum with 3 lobes, but I suppose it could happen.  Looks like this mystery ain't solved yet.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 04:38:03 PM »
It is possible that an arrowwood viburnum and a maple-leaf viburnum were growing side by side.  But, if so, I did not notice it.  I took the pic thinking it was a maple-leaf viburnum, but there were some unlobed leaves on this year's flush of new growth.  There were definitely some 3-lobed leaves on the plant attached to the flowers in the photo.  That leans me to Viburnum acerifolium.  Maple-leaf viburnum is supposed to be the only one with 3-lobed leaves.  According to the Manual of The Vascular Flora of the Carolinas, "leaves 3-lobed, rarely unlobed".

After the response to this post, I was scratching my head wondering if I had inadvertantly photographed an arrowwood viburnum while thinking that it was a maple-leaf viburnum.

This particular plant is just trying to play games with us  pull_smiley;D.  There are always supposed to do just what the book say, right  :P   smiley_contract_point no_no

Maybe this is a newly unrecognized hybrid ??? horn_smiley horn_smiley
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2007, 03:57:36 PM »
That wasn't me, I wouldn't cheat by looking in a book. ::) I did catch the culprit in the act though:

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 06:45:07 PM »
Well now we know that you have a tutor, Dave ;D.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 07:05:54 PM »
Who? Michal A Dirr? Becuase The Minicatt isn't much help! ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline Dodgy Loner

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 01:17:29 PM »
I took the pic thinking it was a maple-leaf viburnum, but there were some unlobed leaves on this year's flush of new growth.  There were definitely some 3-lobed leaves on the plant attached to the flowers in the photo.

So there were 3-lobed leaves on the plant, but you only showed us pics of the unlobed leaves? smiley_furious  That's almost as sneaky as showing only the terminal leaflet of a hickory leaf!  smiley_policeman smiley_smash ban_smiley :D :D :D

You're probably right, though...just an atypical Viburnum acerifolium!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 01:22:15 PM »
In my defense, it was the inflourescense that I was trying to show ::).  I was planning to show the pic with the 3-lobed leaves in the background as the next clue.  The unlobed leaves did not bother me at the time because I didn't know any better.  Know I know that they confuse the situation.  The good thing is that I learned something new ;D.

Offline tcsmpsi

• In Memoriam
  • Time is relevant, only because it exists.
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Shop/MPSI
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 02:11:21 PM »
Taking into consideration where you were at, WDH, it might help to recognize that snakes, plants...and humans, take on genetic foundations which the books haven't caught up to.   ;)

Certain liberties have tendency to be taken full advantage of.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2007, 05:12:43 PM »
You said it Tcsmpsi, I didn't ;D (although I would have if I had thought of it first :D).

Offline Dodgy Loner

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2007, 05:54:38 PM »
On a related note, I found some chalk maples this weekend that disagreed with the convergent tip theory that I've been peddling to my students for the last three years ::).  The majority of the leaves on the plants looked like they should, but there were a few dissenters in the group to keep me on my toes.

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »
One again proves the theory that, most of the time, there is no one sure-fire magic characteristic that is alway 100% certain in ID'ing a plant.  It is better to look at several characteristics and surround the plant than to bore in on only one thing  ;).

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »
If you want to test your patience on leaf shape, explain to your students the general shape of rattlesnake root Prenanthes spp.  ;D That must have one of the most variable shaped leaf a plant can come up with.  8) :D

But, generally it's sagitate.  Sometimes lobed (2-6), sometimes not. Sometimes coursely serrate, sometimes not. ;D I find them mostly in alder thickets in organic soil.
Move'n on.

Offline Dodgy Loner

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2007, 10:31:01 PM »
One again proves the theory that, most of the time, there is no one sure-fire magic characteristic that is alway 100% certain in ID'ing a plant.  It is better to look at several characteristics and surround the plant than to bore in on only one thing  ;).

Well said.  That's the most important message that I've been trying to get across for the last 3 years. :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter