Sponsors:

Three Trees With One Blow

Started by WDH, June 10, 2007, 07:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Leaves sure look like blackjack.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 24, 2007, 06:50:49 AM
Ok, Larry. Here's one to trip them up. And I'm being fair here because you've all seen this tree down south of the snow line.  ;D :D

It has a maple-ly feel to me.  Maybe a soft maple feel.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Well I warned ya.  ;D

Maybe another picture is in order.  :)

Same tree, further up.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

Never thought much about it until Dodgy mentioned it being big for a blackjack...just measured and it is 26" DBH.  I may have a bigger one...I'll have to fight the ticks to get a good id and measurement on it.

I dropped the cobs off in the email sack Dodgy. :D ;D :D ;D

Imma studying on your pic SD...just don't hold your breath for my guess though. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

A wood sample with water applied.  ;)

WDH

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 24, 2007, 06:50:49 AM
Ok, Larry. Here's one to trip them up.

I am walking around right now as if I have a stick stuck between my legs ;D >:( :P.  That pic of the wood doesn't help me.  You said it wasn't Acer or Populus......I am sure a leaf would be asking too much ;D.  Maybe some else can step in and elucidate a little on this one. 

SwampDonkey

Well the bark is very characteristic in mature trees of this species for my area. But, I can go to another region of the province and the bark is totally different, more like down your way.

I'll tell ya though, you've made some fine furniture from this wood.  I know it doesn't really help in the identification, but might make ya just a little bit more squirrelly. ;)  :D :D

WDH

Wow :D.  I would never have thunk it :o.  Just goes to show that what you think you know and what you are used to seeing is not always the way things are when taken on a broader whole.

That was a good one, SD.  You are, yourself, quite a sneaky fellow smiley_devilish

SwampDonkey

If I ever get over to the 'North Pole country' I can do the same thing with sugar maple. The bark is totally different growing on that soil type, then it is growing here.

Table Rock on the North Pole River.  8)

bitternut

WDH

Timburr

The lower and upper tree bark samples look like our larch, so I'm guessing tamarack (larix laricina)  ???
Sense is not common

SwampDonkey

Yeah, it's black cherry.  ;)

WDH

Well, I looked at the big pignut that got hit by lightning (see original pic in this post), and the leaves all turned brown and fell off this Fall, not like the other healthy hickories that have had brilliant yellow color.  I am worried that it will not leaf out next spring.  I will just have to wait and see :).

SwampDonkey

I'm sure the sawmill is at the ready, just in case.  ;)

WDH

Actually it is, but I don't relish sawing hickory.  Moreso than that, I don't relish having to plane and sand hickory :).

Lanier_Lurker

How well does hickory hold up during or after the process of dying (which is not immediate I guess)?  Is is prone to wet or dry rot while standing dead?

In the remainder of your lifetime WDH, how much more diameter would that pignut add (assuming it might grow at all)?  If there is the slightest chance that it ain't gonna grow no more, go ahead and get some lumber out of it.  A 20" pignut is probably a pretty old tree, yes?  Maybe 120 years - or more?

Do they make diamond tipped blades for LT 15 sawmills?   ;D

I guess waiting until next spring may be the thing to do.  But it sounds like it is dead based on your observation of the leaves.  Even though the physical damage seems slight compared to the small white oaks, that kind of current passing through anything organic is bad news.  :-\

WDH

You make an excellent point, LL.  That tree is mature, and it will not put on a significant amount of new growth.  I would expect that this tree is about 75 years old.  We might be able to verify that soon :).

Go Dawgs!

WDH

Spring Update..........

The old girl is leafing out! 

Put the LT15 back in the shed!

Dodgy, rest your back for another day!

You bat turners hold your horses ;D.

SwampDonkey

splitwood_smiley

bat_smailey

Lanier_Lurker

I was thinking about your tree just today and was getting ready to dig up this thread and ask about it.

Glad to hear she is looking good!   8)

straightree

Like everybody, I am very pleased to see a clean understory, but .... I also like to see some life in it. In some place, I have read that a forest is not a park, nor a collection of trees, as beutifull as they may be. Wild life, bio diversity, should not us care about that?

Thank You Sponsors!