iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with plants on my property

Started by Jeff, June 19, 2007, 11:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Yep, I think thats it!  Winterberry Holly, Black alder or also called Michigan Holly.
http://www.geocities.com/littleflowers_2000/black_alder.html

WDH

Good on ya SD.  I didn't have a clue........I know that I aint never seed it.  At least I know what I don't know :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I never seen it either. Says it's in NB, but my guess it's down in the lowlands. I see a lot of mountain holly though in wet areas and that was calling my name and the berries looked like Ilex as I said earlier. When Jeff said it reminded him of alder, I jumped the gun on the witch hazel and thought those were capsules. But, leaves of hazel are wavy as Dodgy said, but also serrate, just kinda blunt. Hazel leaves are between alder and hawthorn. The flowers/fruit will solve a lot of mysteries sometimes. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I'm pretty sure I know what this is, at least what I've been calling it for years.

Identified: Red Osier Dogwood

SwampDonkey

Yup, I think you know. We made a 'virtual' forum Christmas wreath and used it instead of the core wire. That's what I call moose lettuce.  ;D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Yup.  Red twig or Red Osier Dogwood.

Here is a link to the "Tipping" thread.

Furby

I have some that were taken in the area of Jeff and Tammy's property as well. :)

SwampDonkey

Knowing how some folks make us read topics, I'll say Sphagnum moss and creeping-snowberry. Any white berries? Don't know what the fungus is. ;D

Furby

SwampDonkey

Yip, that's the more common kind. We often see some reddish colored sphagnum to. Brings to mind the times I used that stuff to wash dishes on fishing trips, when dish clothes and dish towels were not part of the inventory.  :D :D

Furby

SwampDonkey

That's the bull thistle. Cirsium vulgare It has a rosette of leaves the first year and will flower the next. I get some on my wetter ground. As much as I hate thistles, I do like the colorful flowers.

SwampDonkey

Reminds me of a non native thistle I once saw in a manure pile. It had great big huge flower heads like baseballs and very spiny. Never seen another since.

Furby

Ya should have seen my jeans Donk, after sitting and kneeling in that moss to get the pics I took. Nice green jeans! ;D

SwampDonkey

Looks like 'stinky' skunk cabbage leaves. Don't have it in NB, but it's in NS. Don't know how it skipped us because NS is almost an Island. I was told bear like the new spring flower. ;)

Ron Scott

Yes, skunk cabbage is a favorite with bears. Another sign that Jeff's property is good bear habitat.
~Ron

Furby

SwampDonkey

I know what the leaf is. It's our old friend the gold thread. ;D Hmm, now for the fruit.  No leaves? Looks capsulate. ::)

Furby

All I saw of it, didn't have time to figure out what else went with it. :-\
Sorry.

SwampDonkey

Thinking it's in the buttercup family.

Jeff

I have seen this plant before on several occasions but never "leafed" out.  I do not know what it is although I remember dad calling it a snake plant, but I think that was is personal name for it.

Aroostooksawyer

looks like some kind of horsetail Jeff ,maybe Meadow Horsetail.

SwampDonkey

Horsetail.  ;)

There are many species, possibly Equisetum arvense, the common horsetail.

Aroostooksawyer

Is it growing in wet area next to the Northern White cedar?

Thank You Sponsors!