iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I sawed a couple hundred BF of who knows what.

Started by Part_Timer, July 16, 2007, 09:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I went down to see Forest tonight and get a leaf and ended up visiting for 3 hours or so. 
Had a great time.  We took a ride across the creek and found the tree.  It had been uprooted this spring.  These leaves are about 2" long and came from the very top of the tree.  I bet we have no better luck than before the pic.  ::) ::)

It sure looks like an elm to me but I've never seen one that stayed that straight or had an open grain patern like oak does.  I just don't know.  Katie votes american elm.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Captain

I believe she is right, the leaf and leaf structure looks like AMERICAN ELM

Captain

WDH

PT,  if the latewood pores are arranged in wavy bands, then it is for sure an elm.  It should be very obvious on the cross-section with a clean slice with a razor blade.  The leaves sure look like elm to me.  We know now that it is not willow, ash, or coffeetree.  There isn't much else it could be but elm, and I am looking forward to looking at those wavy bands in the latewood at the Pig Roast (so bring a sample ;D).

Good detective job :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don_Papenburg

Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Part_Timer

WDH  Are you going to need a half dozen boards to make a for sure ID?  ;)

Long time no see Captain, you going to make it to the roast this year?

I've never cut any american elm before I just could not believe that I was cutting elm when it didn't try and turn it's self into a pretzle as the boards came out fo the log.  Thanks guys this has been a great puzzle.
Peterson 8" ATS.

Burlkraft

Hey Tom,

I'm really glad ta see that you weren't serious about puttin' yer mill up fer the summer..... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Part_Timer

I was serious, but the logs just keep showing up in the yard and the only way to make them go away is to saw them.

What a problem to have. :) :) :)

Peterson 8" ATS.

Furby

Captain

Unfortunately too much work and paramedic school/clinical and not enough time for what I really want to be doing....I'll be a webcam attendee this year.

Bull is managing to get me to the Sterling Fair in Sterling, MA this year however.  I'll also be making a quick stop for 3-4 hrs in Booneville, NY also for the Woodsman's Field Days.  Those are the highlights for my special events calendar this year  :-\

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!