The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: fire place mantels  (Read 11845 times)

Offline solodan

• Share Post
Re: fire place mantels
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2006, 12:55:44 AM »
Chris, it is a saddle notch that consists of two straight cuts. Basically a v cut into the bottom of the mantle and then the supports get two flat spots to make a point. Then I feather out the point just past the contact of the two pieces. This makes a very tight fit and the illusion that  one of the pieces is scribed to the natural contour of the other log. Even upon close examination it is hard to tell that it is just two straight cuts. If you are working with bigger logs, you could make this three flat and straight cuts, basically a v again but with a flat bottom.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2007, 02:30:05 PM »
Solodan,

I re-read this thread, and I went to your gallery to see the mantles that Larry referenced.  They were outstanding ;D.  You should have posted some of those pics...(maybe you did but I did not see them).

Here are a couple of mantles that I made.  The walnut one is in my house, and it is the plain-jane model.  The ash mantle was one I made for Dodgy Loner's Aunt JT.

Getting a big chunk of wood without splits and checks can be challenging :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Dodgy Loner

• Forester
  • It's an anagram for "dendrology" and in no way a reflection of my personality
    • Share Post
    • My Blog: A Riving Home
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2007, 03:10:50 PM »
I seem to remember you having a few more of those walnut mantle pieces laying around, WDH!  I think when I build a house, I'll cut a knotty redcedar mantle about 3" thick with a live edge.  The straight edges look better in a more formal house than what I intend to build.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »
Yes, I have 3 more blanks that are 4" by 12" by 10 '.  I also have daughters, so you can guess what that means :D.

The little log cabin might need a nice cedar mantle when you add on to it ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Re: fire place manalls
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2007, 06:50:14 AM »
I wouldn't say I was an expert, I just make alot of them. ??? ::)  ;D I kind of already do what everyone else is saying, I custom saw each one. But I think there is a need for precut ones as well, cause sometimes I feel I give the customer to many options, and most of them don't really know what they want. ??? What I really like is when they just tell me to make whatever I want. If it is for yourself, well now , I guess you can do it however you want.  8)
How dry do you get the mantels before installing them?    Steve
Timberking B20 14000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline solodan

• Share Post
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 09:46:07 PM »
ladylake,

I just got back from your neck of the woods today. I was out visiting my wife's family in Minnisota and Wisconsin. I usually get the surface down to about 8%- 10%, something that is easily accomplished out my way just air drying. Most of the work I do is fairly rustic, so checks are ok, but twisting is not. I looked back at what I wrote and claimed that I had never had any twist,  I do know of one live edge slab I cut for someone that was 7" thick that twisted. It was one of the first I had ever cut for someone else. :-\ The pith ran through it corner to corner :-[. Of course it twisted. ::) :D This could have been avoided. :)  I do try to use standing dead incense cedar If I can. This stuff is usually very dry and very stable.

WDH, Thank you. Yours are outstanding as well.  :)

Offline treecyclers

• Running with sharp objects is my favorite pastime.
    • Share Post
    • Treecyclers, LLC
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2007, 01:12:49 PM »
I do a lot of custom mantles myself.
I cut from 2 1/2" thick to 12" thick, 8-20" deep, and as long as I can go.
I do a ton of quarter round mantles with a rustic edge, mostly of Juniper and Pine, which people here love.
If they finish it out, prices start at $300, if I finish it out, prices start at $500.
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Offline blaze83

• I'm ohio bound
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2007, 04:18:33 PM »
Hi All,

this is a really interesting thread, I never considered using a thicker slab for a mantle, hee is one I did a couple of years ago. I used crown molding and some other moldings to build up the mantle and give it a sturdy feel. it's a little easier when it is for a gas or eletric fireplace then real wood heat,  less shrinkage because of the lower heat.... or maybe I'm wrong...that's deffinatly happened before :D
trying to rember how to post the photo >:( >:( if its not here it will be shortly

see ya

blaze83
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Offline blaze83

• I'm ohio bound
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2007, 04:24:02 PM »
ok, I think I remember...here we go

I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2007, 04:32:54 PM »
Looks great Blaze ;).  Yours is the more refined traditional approach I think.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Fire place

Started by goose63 on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post February 24, 2018, 02:37:34 AM
by starmac
xx
Our Dog Emma and her Fire Place

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on General Board

12 Replies
Last post December 24, 2014, 03:58:15 PM
by POSTON WIDEHEAD