iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Average Sawyer Age ?

Started by SCSawyer, August 29, 2007, 09:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Me and a bunch of my retired buddies make up the "grumpy old men" . I'm 77 and still going strong. Been sawing about 12 years, on here 6 years..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Custom Wood Cutting

Hello, I'm Bill. 58, bought my Bellsaw in 88, in 95 took it to Oregon, near Bend Or. for 9 years. Quickly learned that I like my spotted owls fried, the junipers made awesome lumber, lots of taper and full of sand. In 04 brought my mill back to upstate N.Y. It's powered by a 6 cyl. Wacashaw gas engine. A fantastic power plant. Last year I bought a fella out. Got his mill that he built from 3 other mills. Hydraulic feed, cant flipper, A 24" planer, an edger, trim saw, log truck, drag saw, and shingle mill. It's suppose to be able to saw 500' per hour. The log deck came with new mill. A real piece of art it is. (8 tons of weight) A Vegas wood gasification boiler to supply heat for a kiln. The first thing I'd tell a new sawyer is welcome. And that safety violations or short cuts will cost ya. I wouldn't change my occupation for all the tea in china! Ash and hemlock are my favorite woods. Black locust next. Anyways I'm new here. Thanx for a few min. of your time.

Nomad

CWC, and thank YOU for your intro.  Welcome, and pull up a  stump.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

isawlogs

:o  Sheesh a lot of you guys afraid to put down your real age on here ...  :D :D   

53 been sawing since 93'  Bought my mill in june , received it in july 20 years ago.  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

cutterboy

Quote from: sawdusty1 link=topic=27365.  I will be buying a Husqvarna 372 XP  with my first social security check. Oh what a feeling!
/quote]

sawdusty, I like your attitude!
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 02, 2013, 04:16:13 PM.....First thing in the mornings I feel 25......
What on earth are you doing sleeping with a 25 year old  ???  No wonder you are feeling older as the day goes on.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

64 until 26 Jan 14.

Started sawing in '05, so this is my 9th year!

And...... I still love it!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ernie

Welcome Bill (CWC) are you aware that we love pictures? Your stuff sounds very photogenic.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

kelLOGg

I'm 69 and have been sawing 11 years and have more to learn than I know.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WoodenHead

I noticed the original post is dated 2007.  I wonder how many people have jumped a category since they voted.   :D

Sixacresand

I'm 64.  Bought a LT10 three months after major back surgery and it sat on a pallet on the truck for a month while I recuperated.  That was three years ago.  People said I was an idiot for buying a mill with a bad back.  I just tell them I was an idiot way before I bought a mill. I sure have learned a lot and will not ever learn it all.  What you find inside an old, ugly, nasty log still amazes me.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Hello Bill, Custom Wood Cutting, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

Been sawing lumber for about 15 years, on wood projects. Bought my mill last October and been sawing logs for almost a year. Love it so much, I have to make myself go back in the shop for the "finish" work. I just drew my first SS check, and wondering what new toy I can buy for my mill. Keep on Sawing!!!     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

dboyt

How old, when?  The thread was started in 2007, when I was 51.  If you want to know how old I am now, YOU do the math.  I have been sawing for 12 years, hope to get it right one of these days.  Worked around circle mills years before that, though. The Norwood mill suites me fine, but I'll probably add some hydraulics to it one of these days.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

hackberry jake

I am 27. Ive had my mill almost three years. Wish I couldve afforded one when I was 18.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Deese

I am a true veteran sawyer. At 29 years old, I've been sawing for about 1 week  ;D
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

wwsjr

I will be 69 on Sep 16th, been sawing almost 12 years. I am sawing with my 4th sawmill, LT40 Gas, LT40HD Diesel, LT40HD Super Diesel, and LT40 Super Electric.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on September 02, 2013, 08:16:06 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 02, 2013, 04:16:13 PM.....First thing in the mornings I feel 25......
What on earth are you doing sleeping with a 25 year old  ???  No wonder you are feeling older as the day goes on.   ;D

smiley_heh_heh
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

I'am 67 now built my first circular mill back in the eighties.When you get old you have to work smarter not harder.You learn leverage what you can and shouldn't do.Logs were made round so they would roll.Experiance and caution is a gift but only if you use it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

My age is no longer listed by my handle reason being your birth date is something the slimeballs get ahold of to reak havic on your accounts. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

m wood

50 and I don't care who knows it...feel like I'm 30, and that says a lot cuz most of my 40s I probably felt 60!  Had my Norwood for just a few months now.  30 years ago sawed on a vw bug powered (yes, the whole bug sat there as I recall) circle mill for a few months.  So I guess I 'm pushing the 1 YEAR MARK sawyer-ing.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

highleadtimber16

17 and feel like it! Been sawing since I was 15 and knockin down trees long before that.  :)
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

scully

52 ! not sure how I got that old I was 25 just a few weeks ago I thought ? Still climbing trees workin my job as a pipe fitter ,and when I hit 55 I will be free to saw anytime I want which I plan on being allot ! It is growing ever harder to keep my focus on my 31 year career ,as all I realy wanna do these days is live the wood life !
I bleed orange  .

beenthere

Quoteis live the wood life !

Livin the wood life!!  I like that, has a nice ring to it. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!