iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GRITS! . . . .

Started by TexasTimbers, October 17, 2007, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I put tobasco sauce on my rice, and a quarter pounder with cheese on the mashed taters, and throw the taters away.

Dave

How did I score?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

It wouldn't be the first time we've had grits at the Piggy Roast.  Had'em for breakfast 2 times, that I remember. ;D

Now Dave, I can plainly see one place ya went wrong.  Try looking on the other side of the package at the "cooking directions" and not following one of the "suggested recipe" things that are usually offered on those packages.  I can't imagine spoiling a pot of grits with Cheese Whizz! ::) :D :D   I need to know what kind of grits ya got before I can tell ya how closely to follow the directions.  If they are instant grits, ignore the directions completely.  They can be made tolerable by adding much more water than they say to, and cooking them for a while, but they will never be really good grits.  If they are "quick grits" add a little extra water and cook them twice as long as the instructions say.  "Old Fashioned Grits" are the best kind, and the directions for them should be pretty accurate.  I always add a tablespoon of butter to the water before I stir in the grits, and I salt the water a bit heavier than they usually recommend.  The longer you cook them, the better they will be. ;)

Oh, I see you posted something else while I was typing.  If you prefer Mickey D's over good ol' mashed taters, there may not be any hope for ya. :-\ :'(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dave Shepard

These were old fashioned grits, and there never has, nor will there ever be any cheese wizz in this house. ;) We buy Cabot cheese in case lots. I could never understand the attraction to mashed potatos. I like food that has flavor, now if you had a lot of gravy to put on'em, well, we can talk about that. ;)

Directions were to boil the water, stir in the grits turn the heat down and cover for 12-14 minutes then melt in the cheese.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Engineer

Quote from: Radar67 on March 25, 2008, 02:37:56 PM
Here's a good test for all you Northern Boys. What do you put on your rice? And, what do you put on your mashed tatters?

I put cheese, lots of cheese, and some butter and salt and pepper on my rice.  Or nothing.  Or some chinese food.  Depends on the meal.

As for taters - butter, salt, pepper, roasted garlic, chives.

Why do you ask?   :D

Radar67

Well you boys are passing the YANKEE test with flying colors. I ate rice with a YANKEE...................................once......................... :D

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Furby

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 25, 2008, 02:40:12 PM
I put tobasco sauce on my rice, and a quarter pounder with cheese on the mashed taters, and throw the taters away.

Rice goes to the chickens. ;)
I eat my mashed taters the same as Dave.  :)

thecfarm

Dave,where are you really from???  Grits,are not the thing to waste your money on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I didn't buy the grits, I got them for Christmas. Reallly!

Dave

Corley5

I'm a Yankee and I like grits....  when I'm in the South  ;) ;D  They're just not the same up here.  Must have something to do with the climate  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Dave,re-gift them next time.   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

I like a lot of things on rice but a good gumbo or jambalaya can't be beat.

I do make grits on occasion but have always wondered if I'm making them true to the south way of preparation. As for oatmeal I had to exist on it during my school days for lack of money. Now the only oats I have are feed to the fat horse. :D

pappy19

Quote from: Norm on October 18, 2007, 07:46:56 AM
Teri and Harold sent me up some real southern grits to try some time ago when I asked a couple of questions about them. I've cooked them several times and can say that they are pretty darn good. I'm not sure that I'm making them correctly though. How about some methods and recipes from you grits lovers.

I think you can use either vodka or gin, your preferrence.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

ohsoloco

I love oatmeal made with milk instead of water (I'd rather eat library paste than oatmeal made w/water) with a little sprinkle of brown sugar  :)

Aren't grits very similar to polenta  ??? 

WDH

Quote from: thecfarm on March 25, 2008, 03:52:06 PM
Dave,where are you really from???  Grits,are not the thing to waste your money on.

TheCfarm.....grits basher ;D.

Hey, when I as in Pennslyvania, I had corned beef hash for breakfast.......when in Rome :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

Yep!  Here is a paragraph from Wikipedia

Polenta is very similar to corn grits, a common dish in the cuisine of the Southern United States, with the difference that grits are usually made from coarsely ground hominy (see nixtamalization, which is the process of removing the hull from the kernel of the corn before grinding). When properly cooked, grits and polenta have similarly smooth textures, "grit" referring to the texture of the dried corn before cooking.

limbrat

I ate at a resturant in Appleton Wis. with some natives once. It was buffet style with lots of meat and gravy dishes and stews and stuff like that but no rice, all that gravy and pot licker and no rice. It was very, very strange.
  Geaux grits
ben

Radar67

The first time I sit down to sup with a Yankee (from Northern Indiana) he passed the rice. I got a big ole wad out in my plate and began to look around the table....He wanted to know what I was looking for. I told him the gravy, said there weren't no gravy, they put sugar and butter on their rice.........I raked the rice back in the pot.  :(
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dave Shepard

Sugar and butter? Blech! I like to pile some General Tso chicken on my rice. ;) I like polenta with meatballs, if you can match that with grits, I'll eat a bucket full. :)

Dave

WDH

Dave,

I am going to have to come to your house for breakfast/lunch/supper :D.

I will have to make the Texas Ranger buy me breakfast next week.  He won't have to twist my arm to have the grits.  The grits at the Whistle Stop Cafe in Livingston, Texas are very good ;D.

When y'all come down here, we will have to have some...On Texas Ranger's tab, of course :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I won't eat corn beef hash either.  :)   

ohsoloco

I like butter and a little SALT on my rice.  If you add a nice pinch to the water when you cook it, it's seasoned enough for me  :)   If I put sugar on it, then hot milk is getting poured on top  ;D

Dave Shepard

So DanG, are you going to walk me through this grits thing or what? I've got enough grits left in that little tub to make a five gallon pail full. I need a better recipe and instructions. I don't want anyone thinking I don't have an open mind here, I'll give it another shot. ;)

Dave

Tom

Dave Shepard

I don't know Tom, will they still come out right if I don't say y'all to the grits? That might get some weird looks around here.

Dave

Tom

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, Dave.  :D  You don't have to say it too loud, just so that the corn feels at home.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!