The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Winter is here.  (Read 8828 times)

Offline lmbeachy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Winter is here.
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2007, 09:21:31 PM »
BBK, we got better than 2 inches over here in Southern Delaware and the way the weather map looks, I believe you got some of the same. We really did need it, didn't we? So nice to see it rain again. Lester
hotfoot

Offline Warbird

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2007, 11:08:05 PM »
I think the coldest I've ever been was Great Lakes  Ill. with the actual temp at -20
with a 40 mile a hour wind coming off the lake My car set for -20 and it was starting to slush up   

Coldest I've seen was in a blizzard in Barrow, Alaska.  Strong winds gusting over 100 MPH combined with temps around -40 F.  The wind chill peaked at something under -100 F.  The warning they issued was to stay inside and if you absolutely had to go out, have no flesh exposed, cause it would freeze so fast you wouldn't feel it.

Being younger and quite stupid, I decided to test it out.  Walked outta the house and yes, it was really, really cold.  But it wasn't that bad, or so I thought.  I stood out there for 30 seconds to a minute.  It was prolly 4 or 5 minutes after going back inside that my ears started tingling.  They'd gotten a bit of frostbite.   smiley_dunce smiley_bigears

The second coldest I ever saw it was about -65 F, here in Fairbanks.  No wind chill.  Couldn't drive the truck very fast, else the radiator fluid would freeze up from the wind chill, like dave7191 was saying.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2007, 10:06:44 AM »
I spent the coldest winter of my life in northern Alberta. We could not roll aircraft out of the hangar until it got above -40, usually around noon. No thank you, they can keep it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2007, 10:23:31 AM »
First time I ever heard a canuck complain about cold weather. :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Offline semologger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2007, 11:30:44 AM »
i dont see how you can function in that temp. how many layers of clothes you have to were?

Offline Sprucegum

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2007, 12:44:48 PM »
All of them  :(  ;)

An old Swede once said "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."

A couple layers to trap the warm air inside and a good wind-proof layer on the outside is all you need - and don't just stand there- do something! Or go in the house  ::)

A nice day last winter  :)

Offline Warbird

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2007, 12:56:36 PM »
i dont see how you can function in that temp. how many layers of clothes you have to were?

The short answer is, you don't function much when it's that cold.  At -65 F and colder, equipment doesn't like to work, much less people.  If you get a vehicle started and have to go somewhere, you don't shut it off.  Plain and simple.  Otherwise, you could die.

If you have to be working out in extreme cold, you wear lots of layers and heavy duty arctic gear.  I've got a heavy duty, large 100% down filled parka and matching snow pants.  The brand is "SnoHawk" but I don't know if they still make them.  I can't wear that gear unless it's really cold, otherwise I overheat.

To be honest, it's hard for many homes to stay warm at those kinds of temps.  Let's say you like it 70 F inside your home...  at -65 F outside, that is a 135 F temperature differential between inside and outside air.  With that kind of differential, any 'holes' in your house get magnified.  We like to keep it about 80 F when it's that frigid outside.  I thank God for the nice wood stove and that we were finally able to get most of the holes in this house patched up.

BTW, what someone was saying about 'wet' cold versus 'dry' cold is true.  It's just like a hot, humid day.  You feel the cold a lot worse when it's really humid.  Thankfully, here in Fairbanks, it's usually pretty dry.  And anyway, once it gets that cold, the moisture in the air freezes up and drops out.  It's not technically snow but it coats everything in this very fine powder.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2007, 01:17:47 PM »
Holes? I gotta open the windows up as it is with this wood furnace it gets so hot as it is. I ain't closing up no holes, no way. I need air.  splitwood_smiley smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop
Move'n on.

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2007, 03:44:47 PM »
. . . once it gets that cold, the moisture in the air freezes up and drops out. It's not technically snow but it coats everything in this very fine powder.

I never even heard of anything like that. You know how a wet pair of jeans will dry out on the clothes line even if it below freezing (provided it doesn't rain) I wonder if you could air dry lumber in that below freezing weather. makes since to this simple mind. I suppose it would eventualy dry out eh. ???

Offline Warbird

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2007, 03:53:44 PM »
Yeah.  Firewood will season even in the winter.  Does quite well, actually.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2007, 04:30:36 PM »
 :D :D :D :D Yeah, in a warm basement.  ::)
Move'n on.

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2007, 04:50:24 PM »
I heard a real funny one yesterday by a sports talk guy that I don't like to listen to but he was what was on so I listened for a while. He said one of the funny things I've heard in a while.

"....and the game in San Diego hosting the Texans on Sunday will happen. They are gonna play the game after all. And listen, if I was gonna build a house in that inferno I would build it out of those little firewood packs from 7-11 because those things just will, not, burn!" :D

Offline Warbird

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2007, 08:45:50 PM »
Well...  this is just personal experience but my firewood seems to season pretty well in the winter, as long as it is split.  We have one of those canvas-like canopies you can buy at Sam's (they advertise them as thing to park cars under).  We've left off two of the walls so the air/wind can still get to the wood but the roof and other walls keep the majority of the snow off.

I've got some logs from a spruce taken down a couple of weeks ago.  Haven't had a chance to buck/split it up yet but I suppose we could do a test...  burn a bit of it now and video tape how it does, then let the rest season until around March and do a comparison.

That's a lot of work, tho.  :)

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2007, 06:09:08 PM »
This morning they threatened us with 33 as a low tonight, but thankfully have upped it to 37. I don't know if I could tell the difference though. They say "patchy frost" is to be expected but I don't understand how frost, which I suppose is a nice word for ice, can form above 32. I'm too tired to look it up on Wikipedia so I shall remain ignorant for the time being.  ::)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
Well it's 41 here, it was hard frost this morning, then rain, now a clearing wind. The rain was less than 1/2 inch. Around 40 F for tops this week, but I love it when there is no wind behind it. I don't get cold with wind at that temp, but the snozz runs all the time.  ::)

Seen 7 deer in the field yesterday and a moose in my woods. A fox killed a partridge yesterday afternoon at the mouth of my trail. He left his calling card and further up the road on a rock.

Gotta go up to see the excitement on the woodlot tomorrow. ;D
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
winter

Started by trapper on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post December 12, 2018, 12:13:38 PM
by hedgerow
smiley
How does your winter look like !!!

Started by isawlogs on General Board

58 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 01:16:09 PM
by MtnDoo