The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: power poles for pier foundation???  (Read 13631 times)

Offline okie

• Sawing lumber for our house
    • Share Post
Re: power poles for pier foundation???
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 06:00:15 PM »
Deadwood, I am impressed at what you done. I got a mortgage at 18 and paid on it for 5 years, the foundry where I had worked at also for 5 years shut the doors and put 600 people in a small comunity out of work I went from making $18.75 an hour with nearly unlimited overtime to making $250 a week unemployment. I called the mortgage company as soon as I was laid off and tried to get them to lower my payments untill I got another job and put the deficient amount on the back of my loan and they told me that if I couldnt afford a fulll payment I would get forclosed on, I paid my full payments for 3 months, had no electric or gas but my wife, baby son and I had a roof over our head and then winter hit and I had to get the gas back on and lost our house, I tried sending in payments that were $150 a month shy of the due amount and they sent the checks back to me. I have got a good job again but am not gonna get into that same mess again 5 years of payments plus our down payment and cost of improvements that I did on that place would have paid for me to build a house, you live and learn and I have learned not to put my families future into the hands of a mortgage company.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Offline Deadwood

• If I can't get out in the woods...I'll go here instead!
    • Share Post
    • Railroad Machinist
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 05:45:48 AM »
I hated to get a mortage at all, but with an infant in this one bedroom house, we really needed to start building and get some more bedrooms added on. Its okay I guess because my 350 dollar house payment is less then most peoples rent, and even less then some peoples car payments. Still you have the right idea...build with what you got.

In the big scheme of things, building a home on piers made out of telephone poles is better than renting, but at the same time its too bad they won't last as long as your home.

Offline okie

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 03:33:06 AM »
Deadwood, to be honest, what you done is probably what I would be doing right now if past events had'nt scarred my credit. Those things have dropped off my credit report but have a way of popping up on a credit request of over $5000.00, I dont know how but it does.

I was initially going to get a loan on my land and use the money we had scrimped and saved to work on building but due to the interest rate that we were going to be charged I changed my mind and we bought the land for cash and now will be building quite slowly. Had I gotten the loan at a decent interest rate I would probably have been able to be done with the house by the end of next year whereas now it will most likely be the end of year after next. Had I gotten the loan I would be living in a house for $375 a month for 7 years but the bank would have made $16,500 off of me in that 7 years and I have a hard time swallowing that, if that number was much smaller I wouldnt have thought twice though.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 05:00:14 PM »
i also agree with building things on my own. i hate to deal with the bank on anything.

okie if there is anything i can help you with let me know. i will try. i aint made of money but i do have alot of toys. i plan to pour my floor this next spring, march or so, if the bills keep going away.ely

Offline okie

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 05:36:47 PM »
Ely, thank you for the offer. I believe you invited me to look at your sawmills about a year ago didnt you?? I meant to break away and get down there but never could.

Morgan

Offline Deadwood

• If I can't get out in the woods...I'll go here instead!
    • Share Post
    • Railroad Machinist
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 07:50:33 PM »
Okie I am too far away to help you in real life, but I would if I could. I really would, you seem like a good guy all in all. I can give you good honest advice though, and that is from someone that has a bad back and not a lot of money...not a good combination for a 33 year old, but I digress...

I was thinking of this post the other day as I finished up some baseboard. I thought I would share it with you, not because of what I did so much (its not something everyone would like) but the concept is sound.

Well here in Maine...the Pine Tree State...you can get pine boards for a song, so I had a problem. Pine boards look kind of cheapy while hardwood lumber can be expensive...or time consuming if I use the wood that comes off my own land. Anyway I decided that I could kind of mitigate the cheapy look of pine by spending more time on making my baseboard and hopefully I would get a custom look. So that is what I did.

As you can see from the pictures I added some heart shape cut outs to my daughters room, shamrocks for my Irish wife for our bedroom, and for the spare kids bedroom...well what the hay, I got a 50% shot so I went with tractor cutouts. Between the peacocks feathers on the doorway plinth blocks, and upturns on all the corners (even inside the closets), its shows that this is definately not a spec house.

The point here is you can really get one-of-a-kind custom looking home by spending far more time on various projects than most contractors ever would. They use expensive materials to make a custom house, all you really need to do is spend extra time doing everything. Just food for thought.

Offline okie

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 10:10:07 AM »
Deadwood, I like what you did on the baseboards there, that looks real slick. I am a scrounger by nature, get it from my mom and dad, we never had money so I spent my life watching my dad make do. Once our mower quit and I went with him to the dump and we found 3 and came home and at the end of the day we had a running mower, I have been doing things much the same ever since. If I can get somethin cheap I am happy, if I can do a little work and get it for free I am thrilled, I however dont care much to having things give to me for nothing if that makes any sense, it hurts my pride I guess. I am everso thankfull for all the helpfull advice folks on this board has took the time to give me, and Scott sent me a stonework book that I think will be indespensible in coming months. I am going to start a thread showing my land, the view, and what it looked like before I started clearing and do a step by step journal like QWeaver did, it will be long and drawn out and kinda boring but one of these days there will be an end product and maybe yall can stop me from making mistakes along the way.

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 05:01:28 PM »
good luck in your adventure, we will be waiting on the pictures.
and yes you are welcome to the mill anytime you can catch me not hunting. :D

Offline okie

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 06:05:39 PM »
Ely, the first time you invited me you said anytime you werent fishin  :D. Saturday opens gun for us are you goin? I'll be at a farm auction :'( , too much there that I need to pass it up.

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2007, 09:25:24 AM »
yes i have a house full of hunters coming in this weekend, and we will probably go bowfishing at nite also. farm auctions are great places if you got the cash. they do get alot of my cash i know that. but yes you are welcome aanytime you get free time to steal away.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Helical Pier Foundation

Started by nick_m on Timber Framing/Log construction

0 Replies
Last post July 27, 2020, 12:07:02 AM
by nick_m
xx
Pier foundation on boulders

Started by redlodge on Timber Framing/Log construction

22 Replies
Last post October 27, 2019, 08:56:01 PM
by ponderosae