The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: pocket knives  (Read 6760 times)

Offline thedeeredude

• Senior Member x2
  • RufusRuffcut and Sawtooth to da races!
    • Share Post
Re: pocket knives
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 08:40:25 PM »
I carry a case sodbuster jr with the black handle. It has the stainless blade which I dont care for. My working partner carrys the yellow handle with a carbon blade and that thing stays as sharp as a razor, and it sharpens much easier as well.

Precisely.  Carbon or bust!

Offline mike_van

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 09:38:09 PM »
When I started grade school in '59, I had a pocket knife, we all did. Nowadays, you'd be doing hard time in the big house for that - How sad.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Online Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 09:55:02 PM »
it is sad, it's a commentary of what happens when you don't punish bad people (or properly rehabilitate - whatever you fancy to call it), and let idiots who have a complete lack of understanding of how the real world is run the place.

I often wonder how many people have been stabbed with Old Timers, or Case, or Buck knives.

I've always felt that a man worth his salt carried a knife with him, and got grumpy about having to remove it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline Beweller

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 10:04:36 PM »
Doesn't anyone like Boker?
Beweller

Offline limbrat

• step back and look again
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 12:22:25 AM »
I have carried a victorinox tinker for years the metal imbelem on the side now stands well higher than the scales, didnt know my back pocket was that abrasive.
I did buy one of the novilty knifes from a c-store that has realy impressed me for a general box cutter paint scraper kind of knife. Its stainless made by crtk and i think it is called a p.e.c.k.. It has a 1.5" bird beak blade that is wide in cross section with a good point. It is the simplest lock blade i have ever seen its just a blade and handle two pieces of metal with a pin hinge a stud to stop it at full open and another to stop it at full close and a ball bearing to hold it closed. No scales no springs no seperate dividers no seperate locks or releases. The handle has a relief cut in it so that when it is open one end of the handle swings behind the blade and locks it open. It had a money clip on it but i took that junk off. Its less than .25" thick when closed and half of that is blade. Its a effective light duty tool, a novel mechanical device and it s nothing in your pocket. Im gona keep it.
ben

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
i have near about every knife that has been mentioned plus a few others. i do not have a boker..........yet.
i have an old old parker that i enjoy best cause my fil gave it to me. i carry one that was made in china hack hack spit spit.........but my brother gave it to me and the straight razor blade is really cool and useful to me. i used to carry a knife in every pocket but since i got older(read fat) i am just down to one now. my two boys have carried a pocket knife for a year or so now, they are 6 and 8. folks used to look at me strange when the boys would come up and ask if they could whittle now. they looked even stranger when they took out their knives and sat down to whittle. :o
i love knives they are very useful tools.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 06:17:11 PM »
I have a few Case hunting knives. I have a Case XX two blade foding sheath knife that I got in Klamath Falls, Oregon while firefighting out there in 1970. I carried it while firefighting over the years. It is now my primary carry hunting knife and has dressed out quite a few deer.

My Marine Corp knife was a KABAR however. I still have it also and it has become a keepsake after being through some "rough use" and holding up well.
~Ron

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 10:35:01 PM »
It sure is hard to find a carbon steel blade these days. I disdain stainless blades, I've had a couple over the years that would hold an edge, but they are few and far between. When I was about 14 or so I had this knife, it had a carbon blade- long and skinny, yellow plastic handles, and it was folding. I'm sure it said "Fish Knife" on it. That thing would really take and hold an edge. I wish I knew what I did with it. It is so hard to find a quality product of any type anymore, but knives are a really good example. I'll go in a sporting goods store, look at the multitude of knives, and not be able to find one I like. My wife will say "there are 100 different knives there, you must like one of them!!" Nope, they are all junk. I do like my leatherman wave for its convenience, but the steel in those knife blades is really soft.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 11:15:24 PM »
It sounds like you are describing a "Fruit knife".  The orange grove owners used to carry them for opening grapefruit and oranges.   they have a long thin single blade that folds into a handle and can be carried in your pocket.

Here is a link to a Schrade.  See if this might be it.

http://www.dantesknife.com/images/SS105RB.jpg
extinct

Offline thedeeredude

• Senior Member x2
  • RufusRuffcut and Sawtooth to da races!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2007, 04:09:16 PM »
Death to stainless bat_smailey

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2007, 04:17:15 PM »
I like Carbon best too, but, it seems that the top-of-the-line companies now are developing stainless alloys that are a lot easier to sharpen and hold an edge better than the stainless that was first used.  Personally, I don't know one steel recipe from the other, with some exception, and have to make my judgement with use.  That means I have to buy the knife and try it.  I've gotten some downright useless carbon blades in my life.

I also found that ease of sharpening is more important on a "meat" knife than how long it holds its edge, within reason of course.  When cleaning fish, it only takes a second and two swipes on a stone or on a steel to put the edge back into shape.
extinct

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Share Post
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2007, 12:52:55 AM »
And I want y'all to know......Tom can clean fish fast!  I can't keep up with him! Not that I ever tried.  Once, back in about 1970...or around there....I visited him in Jacksonville (I was living in Boynton Beach, Florida).  Tom had a 14 foot motorboat. Just a plain little fishing boat...nothing fancy.  We went fishing in the St. John's river for Sheephead and we caught a mess of nice sized ones.  When we got to his house we started cleaning them. I saw how fast Tom fileted the fish, so I just kinda sloooooowed down. I may have cleaned about five and Tom cleaned the rest.  :D  He never knew I slowed down.....he just thought I was inept.  :o 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2007, 10:04:19 AM »
You little *&$(!@#$%! :D
extinct

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2007, 12:01:23 PM »
Thanks for the info Tom, but that wasn't it. I'm almost positive it was called " Fish Knife" . It was kind of the same shape as a normal pocket knife, but stretched out to about 5-6" long. Kind of like a fillet knife, but really it was too short and stiff for that. So I could never figure out why it was called "the Fish Knife" I'll have to do some searching, this is all getting me curious.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline junkyard

• Full Member x2
  • retired
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 03:32:58 PM »
Camillus. Wore out or lost several of them over the last 60+ years. The one in my pocket  is about 15 years old. One blade is razor sharp and only used to whittle. large blade is sharp but sees alot rougher use.
                        Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Offline Lud

• Senior Member x2
  • Impetuous.... Homeric....
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2007, 09:21:59 AM »
FOR CARVIN'---CARBON!  Superior edge,  all that.

For handy,  tough, take a decent edge............a day to day beater with nice "feel" and an impressive "open" like a slow motion switch blade,  try the Buck 280 .  Made in USA!  User friendly.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Offline Tim L

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2007, 04:31:17 PM »
I carry a Leatherman and don't hate it .(Wave model)
Do the best you can and don't look back

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Anybody Collect Pocket Knives?

Started by Shotgun on General Board

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 12:41:47 PM
by Magicman
xx
A POCKET CHAIN SAW???? Here it is!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on General Board

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 07:13:10 PM
by Clam77