The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: knowledge base poll  (Read 8229 times)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Re: knowledge base poll
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 07:37:14 AM »
good idea shinnlinger.Yes,the photos does take time.Two reason for this that I know of.One is putting photos in a FF gallery.These pictures will always be there.You are not suppose to delete them.Once you post them in a FF album they belong to the FF.I have been on other forums and have got the dreaded red "X" where a picture should be.We like to compress pictures to a certain size for people with dail up.The compress pictures load much faster.I have dail up and I like it that way.I had a hard time at first with photos,but now I can breeze right through it without a problem.Unless I do something wrong.   ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline shinnlinger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 08:13:42 AM »
I am getting better at the photo thing and what you said makes perfect sense, but it is things like you have to pick which gallery you want to put the photo in or it wont work, but there is only one gallery you can put it in.  Why cant it default to your gallery?  Or why can a photo be 38 kb but too big when 44 kb is the max size allowed?  Why cant you just click on a photo and have it go in your post instead of copy and pasting?  These are minor pet peaves though in the big picture and I do apprecaite that.  I also dont like how it takes FOREVER to load a thread that has a video in it, but you cant watch it any way.  Can you select threads in such a way that it will disable video links?

And I am getting off trackI  was just trying to suggest the knowledge poll might get more use if it were more visible.  My suggestion is to stick it at the top of each forum and post rules, like noe "gee whiz" type comments, only comment on what experinces are or have been.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 08:42:38 PM »
This has really left me wondering what the suggestion is all about.  The Knowledge base poll served its time in the open forum, was closed and moved to this archives area.  what is more important to me than being able to post in the poll forever is for folks to contribute to the knowledge base.  That's actually a place on the forum with interesting stuff and it can be found in Forum Extras at the top right corner of the screen.  It's purpose has never to have been a place to banter.  The Forum is for that.  The knowledge base is for recording finite statements.

Gee, golly whiz stuff is common on most forums and Ienjoy seeing the exhuberance of new owners on the Forestry Forum.  I guess I just don't understand.
extinct

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »
Well I think there is confusion about what/where the knowledge base is, versus the regular forum boards. There are lots of areas to explore and we hope the 'Forum Extras' gets explored and in doing so you discover some little jems. Don't forget the little toolbox either. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline shinnlinger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 09:05:02 PM »
Tom,

To clarify my suggestion, I was thinking that the hi lit blue threads which are always at the top of the timber frame forum and others, be used like the knowledge base(or perhaps a different color right under/above those).  Post rules to keep it concise and meaninful and that  only comments that go in it are from a posters first hand experience, things they know for certain to work or not work and then post topics in the different forums like How do you get a chainsaw running?"  What should one consider before buying a portable sawmill?  WHen should I put out my sap buckets?  That kind of thing and let people comment on what has worked /not worked for them.  

I have seen the above questions (well maybe not the sap one) answered over and over again in different threads, but they are not that easy to search and find, you have to wade through alot of fluff to get to the nuggets of knowledge.  You could come up with some topic starters for it and take a poll as to what folks would like to see asked.

Hope that clears up my idea a bit, I won't be offended if it doesn't happen.
Shinnlinger

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 09:44:13 PM »
I'm personally NOT going to open up a board and each time have to scroll through several threads of or even pages of threads to get to the current stuff.
I personally dislike having more than a couple of "pinned" threads on any board.

So what you would be suggesting is a child boad inside each board that contains a member editable knowledge base specific to that board ???

Yes, many questions have been asked and answered over and over and over again.
That's why we have a search feature as well and learning how to search properly goes a long way to finding the answers you need. Same goes when using a search engine elsewhere on the web.

Offline shinnlinger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 10:04:06 PM »
I was thinking more that the "powers that be" would designate the "pinned"threads and would limit it to the 5-10 most asked questions.  SInce these things "explode" when you click on them, I cant see it taking up more than the top 1/4 of your screen even at 10 questions or topics.

My opinion is that if it isn't right in front of someone then they aint gonna see it and I think the same questions getting asked over and over backs me up on that.

But look, I am NOT passionate about this and I DONT want anyone getting offended or upset. 
Shinnlinger

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 06:02:21 AM »
Sometimes even when it's in plain sight, it isn't seen. In the ID board a thread has been started to ID trees by twigs, bark and buds and some have leaves and the same question comes up. How do I Identify a red maple, ash etc? If you can't ID by buds, twigs, leaves and bark I don't know what you can use. ;)  :D

Don't forget, there is a "fun" factor to some of these threads, especially something like plant ID.
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Poll: 6-7-04  Knowledge base

Started by Ron Wenrich on Poll Archive

0 Replies
Last post June 06, 2004, 07:02:21 PM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
Knowledge Base

Started by Bibbyman on General Board

11 Replies
Last post March 22, 2003, 05:29:33 AM
by Minnesota_boy