The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Open-Entry Woodworking Exhibit & Competition Showcases Urban and Salvaged Wood  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Dave G

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
2nd Annual Woodworking Competition and Exhibit
IT GROWS ON TREES--II[/b]
Emerald Ash Borers threaten 700 million ash trees in Michigan and nearby regions. Can this wood be used for anything?  Can artists and craftsmen address environmental concerns?  Can woodworkers find value in junk wood?  Juried exhibit presents creative uses for local and under-valued wood.  The exhibit will travel to three or more sites in lower Michigan, June-Sept 2008.  Entry deadline April 30.  $1250 in prizes.
For info:  www.riversidearts.org/woodshow.htm
e-mail inquiries:  michiganwoodart@gtlakes.com
For more info on the EAB's and photos from last year's show, try: www.semircd.org/ash/woodshow

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
Can the wood be from any urban salvage? Can the work be from any state? Just curious. Nearly all of my work comes from urban salvage and scrap yards. Click my photo "link" button to see more. Under "recent work" page 3 and in "Other photos" pages 6 and 7 in particular.

Thanks Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline Daren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • nelsonwoodworks
Yep, everything I make is made from urban logs too. I am just a hack woodworker though, I wouldn't stand a chance in any kind of competition  :D. Some mighty pretty things have been made by my lumber customers though from "waste" logs.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Sparty

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Thanks for the heads up.  That gallery is real close to me and I have salvaged a lot of ash logs from that area.  I think I'll try to enter something.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter