The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: How to deal with snakes  (Read 19614 times)

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
Re: How to deal with snakes
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »
I don't bother with them as long as they don't bother with me. I will do in a poisonous snake if it takes up residance around the house or work areas. not much chance of that though. Lindy's birds pretty much keep them in check. I had a big rat snake take up residance in my  tool shed/feed shed once. I pretty much left him alone even though he was quite territorial because he was making a big differance in the mouse population. I finally had to cart him off because the kids got to complaining about his aggression. I took him into the woods acroos the raod. He was back in about two days, so I carried him off about half a mile. Took a week to get back. Last time I hauled him away it was about 5 miles. I finally got rid of that time till another one showed up next spring.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
It obviously did not appreciate you hauling it off so unceremoniously ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 08:23:32 PM »
It surely wouldn't have liked the other option, bang bang, shoot shoot.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 09:15:20 PM »
You are right, but I am not sure that snakes are great thinkers :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline zopi

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »
I dont' worry about them...between the five cats, the Jack Russell, and the chickens, I don't see many.

if it's poisonous..it dies. It's good to be on this end of the food chain.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2008, 03:31:56 PM »
Feed 'em golf balls.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Online pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2008, 09:26:36 PM »
Granny had a couple of round ceramic balls about the size, shape and color of chicken eggs. Leave them in the hen nest, few days later she'd find a dead chicken snake somewhere around the chicken house, cut the snake open, retrieve the "eggs" and put them back in the hen nest. Kept the snake population under control.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2008, 09:32:24 PM »
I had two snake "incidents" yesterday.  My brother and I were picking up metal t-posts that we had removed from the ground this winter.  Since everything has greened up, we had a hard time finding the posts in the high grass and weeds.  Made me a little jumpy digging around in the weeds because I was worried about snakes, especially rattlesnakes and copperheads.  Sure enough, I walked right up on a snake (about 2 feet away from it before I saw it).  Luckily, it was just a kingsnake, one of the good ones.  I let it be.

After supper, I checked in on the Forum while my two women (wife and daughter) went on a walk with our beagle Callie.  A few minutes after they left, I heard my daughter yelling for me from the back door.  It was that kind of insistent yell that always signaled one thing, snake.  You see, these women do not like snakes at all.  I finally got them to let me peacefully carry the innocent snakes away out into the woods instead of passing final judgment on them.  The poisonous ones, though, get tried and are found guilty as charged for being too close to the house.

Well, I got the garden rake and proceeded across the yard, across the road, and into the hardwood.  The cat had found the snake about 20 feet on the other side of the road from the yard (let me say here that a snake in the "yard" is much more liable to get the ultimate sentence, innocent or not, if it is actually in the "yard").  It was a red bellied water snake (http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/nerery.htm).  I picked the snake up with the rake to walk the snake out to the "woods" and to freedom from the hanging judges.  But, the snake wanted no part of the rake carrying and wiggled off into the leaves.  A chase ensued.  The snake got down into the leaves and won.  Plumb disappeared.  The disappearance cause alarm among the jury.  They are still stepping lightly in that part of the "yard-woods" :).

Offline semologger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »
Have any of you heard of Rodney Carrington? I love his bit on snakes funny stuff.

Offline Warren

• Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord.... Col. 3:23
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2008, 09:17:59 PM »
Hey WH !    You didn't say nuttin' bout no snakes when I was up there yeserday...

If I see them first AND I think they are harmless, Live and Let Live.  BUT, if they surprise me, or I'm not sure, closest available weapon, knife, machette, shovel, shotgun.  I ain't particular...

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C, W&S Forklift, Baker Edger ...  And not near enough time in the day ...

Offline woodbowl

• Senior Member x2
  • Making dough bowls, is a lot of work, but fun.
    • Share Post
    • Have Sawmill, Will Travel
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2008, 10:46:46 PM »
WDH, that red bellied water snake looks just like a moccasin when you almost step on them.  :)  We've really got them around here and our variety looks a bit different. Sometimes the only way to tell the difference is to slap at them with a stick or something. They will usually sull up and try to tuck their head, but at the same time their head will fan out like a spreading adder. If it's a moccasin, they're agressive. According to the range map, Tom doesn't have any. You would think that Okefenokee would be running over with them.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »
They are a dead ringer for a moccasin, just like you say.  If it wasn't for that red belly, that one would have crossed the Rives Styx by now :).

Offline submarinesailor

• Senior Member x2
  • LT15 and a wife of 45 yrs
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2008, 06:59:27 PM »
According to the range map, Tom doesn't have any. You would think that Okefenokee would be running over with them.

When I lived in Woodbine, GA and fished in the Big Satilla River, which drains some of the northern Okefenokee Swamp, I sure killed more moccasins then a care to talk about.  One day I killed more snakes than I caught fish.   Other time, I killed a BIG pair that was mating in my back yard - A BIG PAIR.

My wife was working for security at Kingsbay submarine base when they got a call about a snake stuck in the fence.  It was a moccasin that was so big in diameter that it got stuck in the fence when it tried to enter the day care center.  The cop was so scared; it took him 7 shots to hit it. :o :o :o  They changed the chain link fence out after this and put in the smaller holed chain link.

Bruce

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2008, 11:33:14 AM »
I found this gentleman on a Texas road.  Someone's tire had previously come along and dispatched him to the happy hunting grounds.......

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2008, 04:58:38 PM »
One snake?  What a piker!

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »
I forgot the close up for the non squamish types.

Offline ADAMINMO

• Today is gonna be another one of those days!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »
Looks like supper time in Texas!!!! Tastes like chicken I hear. Is that true?

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
  • Linda Vista, Costa Rica
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2008, 07:32:26 PM »

Killed a Coral Snake, yesterday, while sawing.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2008, 10:49:37 PM »
Looks like supper time in Texas!!!! Tastes like chicken I hear. Is that true?

Kinda, with enough beer.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 10:48:46 PM »
Actually, the meat is white, and a little tough.  It doesn't taste too bad fried, but the musky smell that is so hair raising when you smell it in the woods, knowing that the bugger is somewhere near, does not go completely away after cooking.  Some are more musky (muskier :)) than others.  It sure does detract from the dining experience when the musk is strong. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: How to deal with snakes

Started by Jeff on General Board

0 Replies
Last post March 01, 2008, 12:42:44 AM
by Jeff
xx
Bark removal prior to removing. Big deal? Little deal? No deal?

Started by Roy Beauchamp on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2017, 07:44:21 PM
by Dave Shepard
xx
Husky 365 special deal or no deal? Help!!!!!

Started by Ironmower on Chainsaws

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 06:09:44 AM
by Ironmower
xx
Why does it always have to be snakes?!

Started by Planman1954 on General Board

16 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 09:33:18 PM
by Ernie