iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hotshots -- Inter-Agency firefighting

Started by BrandonTN, March 16, 2008, 07:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonTN

James - I said hello to someone from VA Tech at one point, wonder if that was you?  The first night we were there I saw a group of VA Tech'ers walking in the lobby. Ya'll had a good crowd...we only had a few from TN able to make it.
I had a great time, too...even though I had a bad cold at the time.  ::)

Thanks for the announcement tip.
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

VT_Forestry

Yeah, we were walking through the lobby and a few of you guys from TN were sitting there, I remember talking about conclave...haha it's a small world
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Ron Scott

During my USFS firefighting days, I had inmate, logger, sawmill, and hotshot crews all working under my sector supervision. All did a good job on the firelines. I was particularly impressed by the professional tree fallers falling the hot ponderosa pine snags on extremely steep slopes.
~Ron

BrandonTN

QuoteI was particularly impressed by the professional tree fallers falling the hot ponderosa pine snags on extremely steep slopes.

They need to incorporate that as a new event at Conclave. (not that I would be good at it, but would be fun to watch.)  ;D

On a more serious note though, I've been concerned lately about the reality of me being on a hotshot crew. A couple of months ago I was running about every day, and ran for the first time in the morning. (usually run in the evening). After that run, I hurt my back.But becoming active over the past several years actually helped it. It may not be good for me to be on a hotshot crew w/ that. .

Bottom line: If I don't do situps seriously to strengthen my "core", firefighting is probably not an option. 
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

Ron Scott

One needs to be in extremely good and maintained physical condition to be on the Hot shot crews. Also any fireline crews for that matter. I would not recommend fireline assignments with a back problem that might hinder the safety of you or your crew in any way.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!