iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homemade skidder Pictures Added!!!!!!!!!

Started by timberfaller390, April 01, 2008, 01:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

Hey Yall I saw a really cool homemade skidder the other day it was built from a '67 chevy 2 ton truck. The front axle and T-case were from a 50 something army duce and a half the arch was from a 440 deere skider and the winch which was run off the PTO was from an old crane. It still used the truck cab minus the doors, they left the windshield which I would have replaced with cage wire but it's still a pretty cool rig I took lots of pictures I'll post as soon as I figure out how.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

i was contimplating using an old duce and a half truck a while back, for only 4,000 there was a place near my house i could get one, but i found that they didnt have power steering, so that would be bad.
Although i look forward to seeing some pictures.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Coon

Well, seeing as you guys are talking about homebuilt skidders I'll just have to show you the one I built.  I have to scan the pics yet as they are actual photos.  Finally just found my pics now so, I'll get at it tonight.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

timberfaller390

I'm looking for an old duce to use for a log truck my current one is only a single axle.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Nailhead

I sure am waiting for the pictures ;) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

Coon

Well here it goes.  When I was 16 I worked for a farmer on my summer hollidays.  He had this old Versatile tractor  sitting out in his line up of equipment.  He never used this tractor anymore as it was too small for his operation.  He claimed that the tractor was just simply wore out.  One day, after eyeing up this tractor for several weeks, I asked the farmer just out of the blue how much he wanted for the tractor.  He says "Well I don't really know.  Let me think about it for a while.  What would you want that old thing for anyways?"  Well, I told him what I thought it would be good for.  Yup, a skidder.  He kinda gave me a bit of an odd look and says, "how about this?  I'll give you the old tractor to build into a skidder on one exception.  You come skid some logs for me when it's built.  Use my shop to build it if you like.  I'll even help you out."  I was totally in my glory. ;D

The tractor is a 1968 Versatile 118 with a 118hp v6 Cummins diesel with a  9-speed forward, 3 speed reverse, transmission.  Into the lower part of the transmission Versatile also incorporated the 4-wheel drive splitter box.   This  transmission was pressure lubricated and lubricant was cooled by using the transmission as a reservoir for the power steering system from which the oil was returned to the transmission through an oil cooler and filter.   1000 RPM live PTO and 3-Point Hitch as well.

We' mounted a blade, a skidding arch, and built our own clumsly looking winch.  We also made a few guards and put a roll cage on as well.

This old girl is retired now.  It does however still run well but needs a new clutch, new rubber, and one planetary.  The winch works as well as the day we built it.  Have never seen one pull like it does.  Haven't had a log it wouldn't pull.

Mooseherder

Quote from: timberfaller390 on April 01, 2008, 11:13:50 PM
I'm looking for an old duce to use for a log truck my current one is only a single axle.
One like this? ;D

Burlkraft

Quote from: Mooseherder on April 02, 2008, 05:09:44 PM
Quote from: timberfaller390 on April 01, 2008, 11:13:50 PM
One like this? ;D

Didn't we just see a different picture of this truck  ??? ??? ???

Wasn't it white  ??? ???   :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Mooseherder

Yep...here it is. :D  Look at my trailer to the right of it. :(

zackman1801

thats a sweet home made skidder you made, coon. what kind of engine does she have? and how much did it cost to make her...and time? that would be a sweet project to work on.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

shinnlinger

Coon,

I like your skidder..any more shots of that winch?  I would like to know more about that.

Thanks.

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Coon

Well with two of us working I'd like to say about 20 hours each.  We had some problems getting the winch to work the way we wanted it to.  At the time I think I had about $500 invested in the unit.  I recycled most of the steel used in the project.  The blade cylinders only cost me $50 at an auction. 

The winch is hydraulically driven and is a two speed.  We had to gear the winch down to about 6 to 1 to get the speed and power we wanted for the pulling  of really big logs.  In the higher speed I think it is geared 3 to 1.

Sorry that is all the picks of the winch I could find.  I will take some more pics this summer when I go to start the ol' girl.  "Curly Sue" is gonna get a new set of used shoes.  I also found a planetary I also need to fix her up.  Then she'll get a new clutch when she gets home. 

The tractor has a v6 Cummins diesel and a 9 speed forward and 3 speed reverse transmission.

timberfaller390

Ya I want one just like that!!!! it would look great with a set of log bunks.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

timberfaller390

Coon  thats a real nice skidder. love to see some pics. I'll try to post mine tomorrow.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

timberfaller390

sorry guys couldn't find the cable for my camera. I'm going to take it to a friend tomorrow he says he can post them with just the memory card.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

twobears

i,de sure like to see those pictures.. :'(

timberfaller390

hey delbert tomorrow I promise.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

RSteiner

My cousin has a 6X6 ex-military truck that he wants to sell.  He and his son made a project out of getting it on the road.  I believe it has a gas engine which gets about 4 or 5 miles per gallon.  But as much as you can load on the thing it will carry.

Randy
Randy

dsgsr

I've got a friend thats got an old Duce 1/2 thats for sale if anyones interested. It's a Reo from '50's or '60's Gas job real good condition. Was a fire truck, no body new tires and batteries, located in Franklin, Maine. I think he's asking about 2200.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

dsgsr

Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

zackman1801

anything man...im still dying to see some pics of this beast!
i wonder how big the engine is? and what kind.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

timberfaller390

Photos finally. Follow the link below.

http ://www.photodump.com/ccfr443/a147476/
PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY
See instructions here: Link
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

timberfaller390

It is built from a '67 chevy 2 ton the engine is a 350 chevy  they removed the stock fuel tank and added a 8 gallon fuel cell where the passenger seat used to be.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Dave Shepard

That's pretty neat! How does it pull?

The link to the pictures won't last, you will have to upload them to your Forestry Forum gallery. Follow this link, Posting Photos, and let us know if you need any help. :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

zackman1801

wow that thing is really cool.  although i wonder how it would go in the snow?
Husky 365sp 20" bar

thecfarm

I would have a hard time on my wood lot.I would get hung up on rocks with it.I would have to get some tractor rims and cut the center out of the chevy rims for clearance.I always wanted to build something like that.I would like to have it as short as I could.I have driven my old truck out in the woods a few times to get some firewood before I live here.Was a bear to get around with it.Just too long to really turn with it.I went and bought a 40 hp tractor instead.But I would still like to have one.A lot cheaper for sure.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timberfaller390

I'd say it pulls okay  the guy that built it said he wouldn't go back to a conventional skidder after running his machine but that may be pride of owner ship.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

twobears

timberfaller390

Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

shinnlinger

HOw do you guys think an old 4x4 wrecker would do?  UPgrade the tires and It would be ready to go?
Shinnlinger

timberfaller390

it would work about the same as this contraption but both would be hard to move around in the woods with. If you have read the starting new work area post you've heard me talk about "the cedar job" I'm skidding with my jeep because the land owner doesn't want his yard torn up and I can't get my tractor under a shed you have to go through to go in where he wants me to, and I can tell you I desperately want my tractor. There is a reason loggers use tractors or skidders and not modified trucks usually. The day I took the pics the guy told me he had just broke the front axle but he had been running it for 20 years and the axle was about 30 years old when he got it. He had a Bobcat on the job site but I think a blade added to this machine would be a good addition.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

rebocardo

I can see not wanting to go back after having a home made skidder because replacement parts are probably a whole lot cheaper  8)

I would add a frame around the rear window and cover it with expanded metal, a snapped cable might give someone a headache.

shinnlinger

I love homade crap!  I see two scenarios here

1) A deuce and a half would be cool  if you chopped the second rear axle off and shortened it up.  MOst already have a PTO to run a winch/grapple hydraulics and I would think a steering cylinder from an AG application could be made to steer it.   It would take some work but it would be a serious machine.

2)A  diesel 4x4 wrecker already has the winch but you would want to sawzall the fendwers  and stick some meats under there to get some clearance.  I would think a diesel would have enough torque to compensate for the taller tires, but I could be wrong.  This would be easier to get going, but maybe not as a durable.

Both of these options could happen in the $5000 range if you did the work yourself and you waited for the "right stuff" to become availaible.  THe tough part would be shelling out a little more for a better rig in the first place.  THere are $1000 deuces and wreckers out there, but they are ussually too far gone to build a reliable machine out of.  SO you pony up 3-4 grand for the initial machine and then you have a rig you might think twice about cutting up. 

Still alot cheaper than a decent used skidder though and probably able to do 90% of what the more expensive machines can do.
Shinnlinger

timberfaller390

I would want the deuce for a log truck. this guy built this thing on the cheap by doing like you saaid and just waiting for the right parts to come along. yeah I bet it's cheap to work on except for that front axle from the 50's I bet if you can find the parts I bet they ain't cheap. He told me where he lived so one of these days I'll get down there and do some serious studying on this thing.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

thecfarm

Itr's also a good idea to keep a note book on the parts you used.That way you can remember what was used when it does need repair.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stonebroke

Has any one thought of takinga deuce shortening it, and putting another steering axle under the back? It would also be great to put some of the new super single 52 inch tires on it. Just dreaming.

Stonebroke

zackman1801

Quote from: shinnlinger on April 15, 2008, 10:13:45 PM

Still alot cheaper than a decent used skidder though and probably able to do 90% of what the more expensive machines can do.

i dont know man there are alot of good used skidders going for 5-6K around where i live. most arent in brand new condition but i think they would sure go anywhere and pull anything that the truck in the pictures, or a tow truck would. 
Husky 365sp 20" bar

shinnlinger

Zach,

If you can get a DECENT skidder for 5 or 6 large I would say that is the way to go if you had to have a skidder,

But then you wont have as much fun ( if you call grease under your nails and welding sparks down your shirt fun) and a have a thread starter here in the forum

Stonebrook,

I am just dreaming to.  My current inventory is proving adaquate to get logs to the mill.

TImber faller,

I know from my GMC dumper exerience (40 and 50's deuces had GMC engines) that there are still plenty of donor axles from that vintage out there.  I bet axles hold up pretty well rusting in the weeds if they are full of gear oil. In fact, I would have one in the back right now if I didn't fear castration from the missus if I had hauled it home.

Shinnlinger

timberfaller390

Didn't have any idea you could find something like that, on the cheap anyway.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

shinnlinger

Timberfaller,

What makes this possible is that I dont think the design changed in 20 something years.

Of course with scrap steel prices climbing and a broken down duce worth $500 just in shear magnitude it might be soon very hard to find these (Or any) relics.
Shinnlinger

zackman1801

just down the road from my house there are 5 duce and a halfs sitting in a construction lot for sale for anywhere from 5-8K they still have the military paint on them. although i saw an old duce out in the woods behind my house on the towns property. i wish i had some way of getting it out because its all still in once piece with nothing missing!
Husky 365sp 20" bar

shinnlinger

NOw zach,

This is were the converted wrecker comes in handy...you can go "reclaim" that duce.
Shinnlinger

Mooseherder

When I get home tonight I will attempt to load a video of getting stuck on my woods road with the deuce last summer.  The road was damp and I had absolutely no traction in regards to weight because of not having a bed on the truck.  It is on a grade probably around 30%.  It is also when I found out the front wheels weren't pulling.  Halfway through the video with my wife taping I make the comment "this thing should be able to go anywhere."
It almost made it out with the help of a atv pulling.  A couple more feet forward would have done it.  In the end a small tractor had to help pull it out. ::)
I say buy a used skidder and use the deuce for dry ground. :D

zackman1801

Quote from: shinnlinger on April 18, 2008, 12:13:32 AM
NOw zach,

This is were the converted wrecker comes in handy...you can go "reclaim" that duce.

man i would really love to go out there with someone who knows something about these things and see if anything can be salvaged. here in buckfield  some company came and dumped about 10 tractor trailer beds in an old wood lot full of just old junk. its considered a "disaster area" technically by the us govt because who ever left the junk left trailers full of waste that was considered toxic, these have been removed but everything else out there was just left. there are quite a few old vietnam era trucks including and ambulance. a collector could have a field day. i bet if i talked with the town they would give them to me for free, since they had already attempted to have them removed but  no one was willing to do it.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Mooseherder

I haven't used this Video camera to upload anything to the computer in a couple years because it needs a go between that accomodates the connections cause the camera is too old and antiquated.  It is quite a process when you forget how to do it. :D
Decided it would be better to shorten it, add some music and take out some drama. ;D
The front axles will need some work before this thing goes in the woods again. ::)
At least I backed on down in there eh?
Burlkraft spotted what I needed when we were at Mr. Hooties.

"http://www.youtube.com/v/V5Itw027U0w">

beenthere

I'm sure Burlkraft suggested that green tractor to pull you out.... ;D ;D ;D

Good video, and am sure that slope was more than what it appeared.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

maple flats

Get the fron working and it will make a huge difference. Then if you need more add chains, in fact chains would make a world of difference even without power to the front axle. Good luck.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

stonebroke

Mooseherder

Quote from: stonebroke on April 19, 2008, 07:54:38 AM
Did you break your sprag?

Maybe. :D
The only thing I have done to it is have the brakes fixed.  That was the second time I had driven the truck.  After it's military duty for the Navy, it had been used as a Fire Dept tanker for the forest service, then a local municipality.  The odometer reads 6800 miles. ;)
I'm thinking the fire dept may have disconnected the front drive.  I'll have to check it out when I have the time.  We bought the deuce a few months earlier from someone who was restoring it.  He had bought it at auction from the municipality.

shinnlinger

THat would make a nice 4 wheeler add!

I think we need to see a duce with a working front axle and some weight over the rear/chains getting pulled out with a 4 wheeler before we can say that duces are junk in the woods.

I can also say from my dually experience is they tend to float rather than bite which isn't always a good thing.  My 4x one ton dually stinks in the woods.
Shinnlinger

woodsrunner

Those old military vehicles sure are cool.  :) But, if you don't have the knack for keeping them running they can be very frustrating. ;) And expensive :o Don't ask me how I know. :( Check out this link www.easternsurplus.net   . They have some nice trucks. Take a look at what they call their "mudders". Definitely some potential there for "our' kind of use.

timberfaller390

The more I look at those old deuce and a halfs the more I think "theres my next log truck"
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

they would make beastly trucks to go down logging roads with but as far as making them drivable on roads to deliver to mills would be hard. they get such poor gas mileage that its going to cost tons of money to get them to a mill.
plus some kind of steering assistance is going to be needed because most (if any) arent power steered.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

timberfaller390

as for mileage my current rig sucks the gas so they can't be much worse and as for steering the one I have now has armstrong steering so that wouldn't be any different.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

twobears

the first log loader i ran was mounted on a army truck.the only good thing about it was it never got stuck on the landing it wasn,t made for going down the road tho.
one spring we had it towed to a new job.it popped it gear at 55 mph and busted the bellhousing.we couldn,t find a new one asap so,we had the loader mounted on a old mack truck it was like running a new loader and it was fun to take it on the road.
i do think a guy could make a decent log skidder out of one.i,de use two rear ends,the transfer case,two transmissions hooked up inline and i,de get the kits to move the brakes on to the pinon.

Thank You Sponsors!