The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Food to fuel, just a sign of whats to come. Limits on purchasing food.  (Read 12029 times)

Online DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post

Did I answer your ? or just ramble on? 

That was a great answer, Don....very informative.  Like most good answers, it brings some more questions to mind.  Unfortunately, I'm having computer problems and have very little time on here right now.  As soon as I can, I'd like to ask a few follow-up questions.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Online DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
I don't see the Government Farm Programs as an intrusion on anyone's rights.  The Gov't offered money in exchange for a guarantee that certain crops would be in dependable supply, or that certain land would be set aside for specific purposes.  The recipients of this money didn't have to enter into the agreements, in most cases.  I'm not familiar enough with the programs to know how much flexibility is built into the agreements.  I think it would be wise for there to be a system by which a farmer could modify his commitment so that he could do things like Don wants to do.  Now, Don apparently accepted some sort of compensation in return for his commitment to grow grain on his land, so it isn't wrong that he should give something in return for an easing of that commitment.  I think there should be a way for him to modify his contract in a more graceful manner than simply reneging on it and paying the fine.  If the plan was being fairly administered, he would be able to negotiate a settlement, perhaps gaining a release on part of it by extending the length of commitment on the other part.  Of course, that would require some thinking on the part of Congress that may be a bit deeper than they are accustomed to.

The other day, I caught a snippet on the News about the current debate on scaling back the ethanol program.  Some Senator was waving a loaf of bread over his head, claiming that the price of it had gone up to $4 because the price of grain had doubled.  Well, doing a bit of quick math in my head made my BS detector scream in agony!  Now I don't know how accurate this figure is, but I've heard that the value of the wheat in a loaf of bread is about four or five cents in the farmer's combine hopper.  If that is true, and the value of that wheat doubled to ten cents, how in the cat hair(thanx Charlie) does that translate to a $1.50 increase in the price of the bread?  The only thing I can think of that might explain it is that the thieves in the marketplace are pulling the wool over the people's eyes.  They are using a nickel's worth of additional overhead to justify a $1.45 obscene profit for themselves!  I am a lifelong proponent of the Free Enterprise system, and have always had an appreciation for the important role that large companies play in keeping us safe, well-fed and free.  That has not changed.  I also have a healthy disdain for Government regulation of business. I certainly don't want to see Gov't price controls!  Lately, I've about concluded that we need a "Truth in Business" law that would force companies to fully disclose the distribution of their costs and profits.  I'm not talking about the Corporate level of financial disclosure, but a cost breakdown printed on the package of every product sold.  The label on that loaf of bread the Senator was waving would have a cost breakdown that would reveal to the consumer exactly who was making the money out of it.  If that were the case, the Gov't could shut down all the regulatory programs except for those regarding National Security and Public Safety, and the American people could regulate the economy for themselves.  I have a feeling we would do a pretty good job of it, given truthful information to go on.  Such a proposal would never pass the Congress though, because it would remove all doubt as to what a bunch of stinkers they really are!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Missouri was the third state to mandate that ethanol-blended fuel be sold at all gas stations.  And here are some of the folks reaping the profits.

Farmer Lawmakers Reap Money From Missouri Tax Credits

Its fine for farmers to receive tax credits for investing in ethanol plants...but farmer/legislators?

Im not a big fan of producing ethanol...at least from corn for other reasons, but it looks to me right now the consumer is paying in more ways than one.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Not quite food

Started by LeeB on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

8 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 10:02:09 AM
by LeeB
xx
Sea food pig out

Started by LeeB on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

11 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 03:30:55 PM
by Texas Ranger
xx
Too much food

Started by pineywoods on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

15 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 08:31:02 PM
by LeeB
xx
Food for the 4th

Started by Gilman on General Board

22 Replies
Last post July 05, 2005, 11:18:54 AM
by Texas Ranger