iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

880 stihl problems

Started by gibby, April 30, 2008, 09:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_indi

QuoteAs the oil/fuel ratio gets richer the carb needs to be richened. The increase of oil causes two things to happen. The viscosity of the mix thickens allowing less fuel to pass the jets and there is less fuel in the mix causing it to naturally run leaner.

logwalker,

I don't think the fuel lean out by increasing the percentage of oil slightly would cause the engine to overheat from fuel starvation.
We run our saws here at 25:1 ratio.(4% 2 cycle oil).This is because Stihl recommends this ratio for oils of other brands.
As a test, I tuned a MS460 yesterday using a   fuel of this ratio, more to the leaner side, that is without 4 stroking at full revs.
I mixed another batch of fuel with a 6% content of oil.With this fuel and  the saw started 4 stroking . I cut a few pieces of wood, there was no increase in temperature of the engine.

Joe

gibby

emailed Stihl last Thursday from their web site, i have not heard from them as of now. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to contact them?

thanks gibby

joe_indi

gibby,

you need to give Stihl some time to to check up on your case through its on channels.But if a response is not forthcoming after a fortnight, you might have to email them again.
By the way did you contact  www.stihlusa.com  or www.stihl.com ?

Joe

gibby

joe_indi

Next time try www.stihl.com

That is the main site and may be more responsive.

Joe

reberly

So what happened?  I am considering an 880 and I am wondering if Sthyl backed their warranty?
Rich
http://Eberlywoods.com

Big lumber is our legacy

ladylake

Sounds like another lean burn down to me, throw out the tack and adjust it rich enough so it barely cleans up when milling. Milling is tough on saws, might be cheaper to hire a bandsaw for a day.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Sawyerfortyish

gibby was the dealer in Nj or VT ?. There are some dealers around here that are good salesmen but don't know there @ss from a hole in the ground about the inside of a saw. Everyone has commented on mixing more oil with the gas this is good but don't buy the cheaper gas for your saw as the cheaper the gas the more alcohol it contains this also eats the parts in your carb and thats maybe why they replaced the carb. It might also show up as a lean seized cylinder. I would try a differant gas station and buy at least the mid grade gas for the saw.

olyman

me thinks that dealer is a monkeywrench----somethings amiss----

Tom1

gibby,

Per the Stihl site the warranty for a 880 is 1 year (person use) or 90 days (professional use). Did you get a promotional warranty (2 years)?

Tom
MS660, MS310, Frick 00

Thank You Sponsors!