iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Started out at 65 degrees this morning. Started raining about 10:00 then the temp dropped to about 50 degrees. They are calling for 30 degrees tonight. It wouldn't be to bad out there if the wind wasn't blowing.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Raider Bill

You guys jinxed me, cold front right behind that shower. Temps dropped 20 degrees. Had to put jeans and socks on. Brrrrr
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Coon

:D  :D  Magic, I think you would have a hard time up here.  It is onlyabout 15 F here right now before windchill and supposed to drop to 5 F with a windchill that feels like -20 F.  I like the cold but not the wind so much.  ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

WDH

He would be grits deprived, that's for sure. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

33 here, was foggy and showering the last 24 hours. Suppose to get 3 or 4 inches of white stuff by tomorrow. So far, kind of slow coming or mostly a miss. There was a few flurries this morning, then back to rain.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Was about 19* all day today. Now it has warmed up to 29*  and they posted a Lake Effect Snow Advisory for sometime tonight through Friday night. Calling for 12"+ of snow, but lake effect is impossible to predict. When they post these warnings sometimes we get 2 inches and sometimes we get 2 foot. Find out as the next couple days unfold.

Magicman

Actually it just a matter of dressing properly.  With our weather, I end up walking to the mail box in just my shirtsleeves and freeze in 30 something degrees.  There, I know it's cold and put a coat on.  We regularly experience 10 degree weather in Colorado each year and never get cold, but we dress for it.

My name is Magicman, and I have not had grits in over 24 hours.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MattD23

It's cold as hell here (SW Ontario) :o! We hardly have any snow and it's been below freezing this whole week. The lakes are getting nice and iced up for fishing, but I'm a little concernced the underground plumbing and piping could get whacked if we don't get some snow for insulation. Anyone ever had issues like that?

sandhills

Magicman, recognizing your addiction to grits is the first step, however if you'd said: My name is Magicman, and I haven't inhaled sawdust in 24 hours, then I'd be seriously concerned about your welfare, the grits don't bother me.  :D

thecfarm

Matt,forgot what year it was,maybe 20 years ago we had a winter with very little snow. The frost went down quite aways. One of my friends was on city water and his froze up. Others had problems too. Was a normal winter for temps too. Below zero and all. This winter has been different for temps,so far. All this will change sometime. Suppose to get some snow in the night,I thought. I just took the puppy out and the eves from the house are dripping and it is snowing out.Stopped by the time she was done doing her business.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Quote from: MattD23 on December 07, 2011, 10:45:30 PM
I'm a little concerned the underground plumbing and piping could get whacked if we don't get some snow for insulation. Anyone ever had issues like that?

Nope, pipes are down 4 feet. Never froze a water pipe in all the years I lived here, and there where some rougher times when the house wasn't even insulated.  Have a mother that wouldn't let a fire in a stove burn in the night. Was mighty cold in the morning when it's 30 below. I keep fires here now at night, enough of that being cold crap. :D

Well, let me back up. We have had an uninsulated wall freeze a water pipe to a shower where the door was kept close and the heat couldn't get at the wall. And maybe a sink water pipe when the doors where left close to the cupboard and no heat at night. But, never froze solid. In the winter in NB you need heat, so you walk the wood to the stove. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Quote from: MattD23 on December 07, 2011, 10:45:30 PM
but I'm a little concernced the underground plumbing and piping could get whacked

If our pipes are buried below the grass roots, they will not freeze.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chevytaHOE5674

All of my pipes are buried 6-7 feet down. Never had too much worry about them freezing. Frost usually goes down 3-4' here, so I've got a couple feet to spare.

SwampDonkey

I've seen winters here that the frost was down no more than 4". You find the frost level out when you dig graves in winter. Many are not dug if by hand, they store you in an in ground vault. With small excavators they will often times dig. The driveways and such if you have pipes under them, that is where the frost goes deep because they are always cleared off.

I have about 3" to shovel out.

Cedarman

Sawdust will work as good if not better than snow for insulation.  And it doesn't melt.  That could be bad in spring.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SwampDonkey

Well that's the advantage of snow. Don't mind it so much if it's cold out, cause know it will be gone again come spring. ;D

Mooseherder

Looks like you have a little snow SwampDonkey.
This is on da udder side of your mountain in Mars Hill.

http://www.mainewind.org/

SwampDonkey

Yeah we has 3" at the house. The last snow though, had a heavy snow line up by Mars Hill. But also keep in mind, if that link is showing the ski hill, they have been making snow on the hill on the runs for awhile. You couldn't ski here, the ground ain't even froze and it's wet snow.

thecfarm

Still no snow,got up to 44 today,but I bet there was still ice in the puddles down by the bog. Seems odd to see ice now. Been so warm.Some of the pond was iced over too. Looks like the rain will take care of that Thursday. We might have a green Christmas. Seen a few of them when I was in high school,back in the late 70's and seem like one in the 90's.We'll get the cold weather and the snow. It won't forget us.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

34 here today, that little 3" isn't going to budge until Thursday with the rain. ;D

Took a few days for it all the slide off the roof. Cleaned the last of it in front of the door tonight.

Every side of this dang house as a pitch for the snow or rain to run off, so every door requires more than one shoveling in a storm. ;D

SwampDonkey

Of course now, tonight's news reported that China's industrial pollution is the cause of our weather.  ;D

Today, Canada dropped support for the 1997 Kyoto protocol on climate change.

sawguy21

We had an unusually dry November and this month is shaping up the same way. If it turns cold like the weather gurus say there will be a lot of frozen pipes.
Sure slow for sales of snow blower parts right across the country.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

My pond in front of the Cabin is 4 1/2' low.  Only in year 2000 has it been that low.   :-\

Hurricanes that travel through Louisiana, which places us on the "wet" side, provide us with our water.

thecfarm

Was 45 here,but had a cold win blowing and it felt cold out.Weather man said a good one the other night. He said,We had a white Halloween and a white Thanksgiving. So what if we don't have a white Christmas,it all averages out.  ;D Suppose to get down into the low teens tonight.

SwampDonkey

It's about 20 today for a high, tonight expected to go down to zero or a little below. But no wind and nice and sunny. Anyway, lots of wood. I only burn an armload of wood in the shop all day. The pile don't seem to me getting any smaller after 6 weeks of shop working. I think the wood elves are adding more at night. ;)

Was as high as 43 here, as we had rain for two days. That was a cold wind to, went clear to the bone. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!