iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We are always either up or down.  By the time we get a good flicker going with a good bed of coals, we gotta turn on the ceiling fan to cool off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Norm, I'll chip in on the snowmobile as long as you guarantee it will work, I REALLY like no snow, less work, less feed.  We have been having trouble with sick calves though, wish it would get cold and stay cold (without the snow)  :).

SwampDonkey

This time of year I keep a good thick bed of coals going, lay a couple slabs of beech/sugar maple on that and it goes all day. Yesterday I put in wood at 8 am and never put another stick in until 4:00 pm. Keep the thermostat on 75 and the coals last and last. ;D  :) I only use an armload of wood in the shop, and often have the door open even when it's below 0. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Looking like mid 80's for the big day this year. T-shirts and a bike ride down to the beach.  8) 8) 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Warbird

We're supposed to get 2 - 4" of snow today and then by Christmas Day, we are supposed to have high temps of -20 to -30.  I will take the snow over frigid temps any day.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Ouch is right. That will freeze up your grits.
Just about 3 inches here. Temp is 36 and the snow is wet,just right to make a snowman. Think I'll go get the Grandkids and start building.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Coon

The weather is going to be mild to say the least around these parts for Christmas Day with a high around 34 F  >:(  It's not gonna feel like Christmas at all.  It's supposed to be around around -10 F around this time of year. With enough snow to go sledding but not this year :( 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

thecfarm

Got down to -3 in the night. First time this cold all season. when I first got a few hours ago it was 4 above,now it's 6 above. Most mornings lately it warms up fast. Everyone in this area got a white Christmas,about 3 inches. A few hours south did not.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

We have about 4 inches from Friday and it was -8 at 7:00 am , but has been warming up. It's now -5. Suppose to reach 7 today for a high, and going to be snow showers for today and tomorrow.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Rain all day today.  Lots of kids with new bikes will be unhappy.   :-\

Magicman

This is one lazy rainy day.  I don't even plan to eat too much.   :)

SwampDonkey

It's turned mild here again, but not above freezing. Around 25 F. It had been near zero at night for two days. Going to be overcast for a few days I guess. We still only have 4"-5" inches with a little dusting added last night. It's nice that there is no wind.

Autocar

Still mild here in northwest Ohio and still tons of standing corn I checked a few ears and some of them were moldy, it's a tuff year as far as the weather goes.
Bill

Coon

The pavement is wet here.  Was raining and turned tosleet/snow.   >:( 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Can't imagine corn being any good this late. The Mennonites tried harvesting it late and dumped $100,000 of spoiled corn out in the field in January. They left the farm and sold this spring. The corn thing happened about 7 years ago.

Autocar

Iam not sure but I think it can be used to make ethanol fuel, thats a big thing aroud here.
Bill

SwampDonkey

I wouldn't know, there are no ethonol plants around here. But Irving Oil and other refineries blend it. I suspect it comes from the US as the Quebec government tried it and closed the doors to no more ethanol projects a couple years ago or more. Quebec has a huge agricultural sector compared to the Maritimes.

SwampDonkey

Looks like rain coming tomorrow night for a couple days. The branches of the jet stream are converging and making snow to the west and rain to the east were we are.  ;D

JV

Well, those who were wishing for a white Christmas here were disappointed.  My wife bought two saucer sleds for the grandkids to slid down our long lane.  It started snowing last night and is coming down pretty steady now.  Now the problem is by the time they visit this weekend the snow will be gone.  Warmup in the 40's by the end of the week and almost 50 by New Years.  Weird winter and if you believe the Farmer's Almanac, it's going to be an up and down winter with a cool dry spring and a cooler, dry summer for our area.  Looks like my outdoor work will wait until spring when the mud drys.  I had to store my Christmas present from Santa at another location other than the new shop.  I had hoped to be up and running by summer but I guess it will get done when the weather permits and on days when I am able.   :-\
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

WDH

It rained.  Amazing, as we are 13" below normal.  All our rain went to the Mid-East and Mid-West. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

It's almost 40 F and raining here now.

thecfarm

The 3-4 inches of snow is gone as far as I tell can just walking to the mailbox. Wife woke me up in the night and told me the wind was blowing hard. I said yep and went back to sleep.  ;D  We must of got some rain too. The ground feels soft. Very odd for the end of Dec in my area. Should have a foot or 2 of snow and temps should be below freezing at night and through the day on most days.

Patty

This winter has been extremely mild....no snow, no freezing rain, in fact no notable moisture at all since about last June.  :(    If we don't get rain or snow soon, we will head into spring with drought conditions. Temps have been in the 40's pretty much all of December, when normally we have below freezing with tons of snow.

The weather cycles are interesting, and the older I get the more I recognize the cycles. Back in the 70's & 80's we had mild winters with little snow. Then in the 90's the temps dropped and the snow piled up. The common saying among us old folks was "These are the winters I remember as a kid back in the 50's and 60's." The first decade of the 2000's was harsh winters with lots of ice. Then this summer everything changed and us old folks were saying that we could feel a drought settling in. To ensure the drought, we went out and bought a snow blower! It worked....not an inch of snow yet this winter.

I have a feeling we are cycling back into the mild winters again. But the Farmers Almanac says we will snowfall (6-10") every week from here on out through spring. We shall see!!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

thecfarm

I had a high of 55 yesterday,but that was in the early morning. The temps started to fall around 9-10 am. It's 11 now. Weather man said it was going to get cold. I always like to hear them say that. I can't remember what they say when it gets below zero.

Thank You Sponsors!