iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Robins, red winged black birds, grackles, geese all came home this week and more. ;D Not a snow flake in site for 8 more months. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Quote from: okmulch on March 20, 2010, 06:48:56 PM
First day of spring and we have 6 inches of snow and getting more over night. Yesterday it was 70 degrees. Talk about a shock!!!!!

Talked to my Sister in Ponca City, Ok today.  Yup, she said that it had been snowing all day...... :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

I bought some seed potatoes yesterday. Rule of thumb around here is plant them around St Pats day. Got 4 inches of snow overnight. Think I will skip the idea of shoveling snow to plant potatoes.

WDH

Quote from: okmulch on March 20, 2010, 06:48:56 PM
First day of spring and we have 6 inches of snow and getting more over night. Yesterday it was 70 degrees. Talk about a shock!!!!!

Aaron, that is freaky.  It was low 70's here today, but no snow is coming, just rain.

It is getting time to plant some tomatoes.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

A little snow this morning for awhile <1" and been rain and ice pellets off and on, some wind as well. Same for tomorrow I guess. Going to get cold Friday night, down to 0F  :o Ain't been that cold in 2 months. Then warm right back up next week.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

We went to Washington,DC last week to see the stepson. Cherry blossoms were early this year so we was right on time.Missed the rain here in Maine,rained hard here for 3 days.Temps are great here,in the high 70's some days.Seems like the first of June not April.Except for the ponds and rivers being high.Peepers are out so are the mosquitoes.Saw a couple the other day.Ticks are out too,they are moving into our area.A couple years ago we did not have any.We had a Easter egg hunt in our tee shirts.I have not seen it this warm since we lived here,for 10 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Heard frogs here on Sunday, never noticed any yesterday when cutting brush though. It's still warm though in the 60's after being nearly 80 for a couple days. Rain coming though. People are setting grass fires keeping the fire departments busy. People with nothing better to do, setting fire and walking off as usual.

bull

70-80 here, planted corn yesterday 4/5/10. more going in the ground today...... greenhouse got up over 100, fans are running. not heater for a week now! Its game on for the vegetables
will be planting something everyday from now thru August.....
Daffodills are in full bloom, Im a little nervous about the peaches and apple's, Im affraid they will blossom this week 3 weeks early and still a possiblity of frost !!

Magicman

Our air conditioner came on Sunday.  I thought.....what's that?   I hope we don't go from Winter to Summer.... >:(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stonebroke

We went from two feet of snow to clear ground in a week.

Stonebroke

Warbird

Early spring here.  And I'm lovin' it.

SwampDonkey

We only have two seasons it's seems up here, summer and winter. 6 months each. :D

Sprucegum

We zipped right past spring here; the parks all have total fire bans on already.

WDH

90 degrees in Georgia yesterday.  Summer came on the heels of winter.  Things are crazy.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

What a spring!!! Easter was in the high 70's!  We had a great day outside. The kids had to have water to drink because it was so hot.
Did get some snow, a few inches,but was gone the next day.Should of put some stuff out,but we went to DC one week and than to NY the next week.Hard to cover a garden up for frost when we are gone.Should of put peas in and had them by June 4th instead of July 4th.  ;D  It's kinda like bragging rights to have peas by the 4th here in Maine.Still warm here off and on.Raining here now.Pond just cannot get a chance to go down.I have heard of some people putting flowers and seedlings out and losing them to frost.A real since of hope here.It's in the 70's and even low 80's.Give some a real itch to plant things.But this is Maine.I push the season too but watch the weather reports REAL close and have things ready to cover up the plants.Just can't plant on a 80° day and than go into the house and watch TV.People live in Maine all their lifes and think it will be differant than in the last 30-40 years.
Lilacs are out.A couple weeks early.Most years not until the end of May,around Memorial Day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

We haven't had frost here in 2 weeks, almost this morning though. I don't plant nothing until almost June. I know it can turn to a cold week in the 30's or 40's at any time before that. Peas and root crops would be fine, except parsnip they seem to like warm ground to start out and then can overwinter in the ground. I ain't in no hurry, we've only had 6 or 7 days in the 70's since the first of April.

chevytaHOE5674

Had a couple inches of snow yesterday and throughout the night... :o

bull

I have almost a half an acre of vegetable planted and now the weather folks have a frost alert for tonight...GREAT !!!  could be a long night...  Might have to licght some fires in the garden. we will see what happens..... I hope mother nature is on my side !!! PLEASE !!!!

Shotgun

Bull,

Is this earlier than you would normally have a garden in?  Seems early to me for your area.  Just wondering.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

Too early up here for most garden stuff, even though leaves are out. Stuff would just rot or get damp off disease and keel over.  ;D :D

Potatoes would be fine even if the frost nipped them, they would sprout back up as long as the soil isn't soggy wet for days. As long as I gotta build a fire to keep warm, forget the garden. :D

thecfarm

Seems like Bull sell veggies? He's trying to be the first one with the veggies.We had a stand at one time.I took a chance with tomatoes and got them in real early one year.People was buying from us because theirs was not ready.First one at the market gets the money.If we would of been home more during the month of April I would of tried something.We left twice during April and it snowed both times.I always like to push the crops alot.Just to see if I can do it.Sometimes it works,sometimes it don't. Some year I want to put up a small greenhouse over part of the garden.

stonebroke

hard frost this morning, ice on the puddles.

Stonebroke

bull

Shotgun I started direct seeding into the garden for three years now on or about April 1st *( fools day )* My best production has come from early plantings. And with the rain fall in may, june and july for the past 3 years I have been able to have a crop established before the floods and the have survived.... I have had 3 -6 week voids in summer production due to mid season planting Failures.....

TheCFarm, you are correct, I sell vegetables, I have been steadily increasing acerage we are at five acres for this year, not much money coming in from lumber and mulch sales so being diversified has helped with survival... My first farmers market starts on May 21st so I need to have something to sell......I also have a stand here at the farm 
I have 4 plantings of corn in and two plantings of beans, green and waxed... 500 sets of lettuce out 300 each of broccolli and cauliflower.
The garden is laid out in plots.
plot # 1 consists of 75 ft rows 4 of swiss chard, 2 spinach, 4 beets. corn is planted in 4 row groups. 6 rows of lettucer
plot # 2 consists of 45 ft rows I have potatoes,carrots,beets, raddishes, broccoli and cauliflower in this plot... I will also have summer squash, zucchini, spagehtti sqash and pan pans inn this plot........

My green house is chock full of plants that need to be put in the ground some are becoming pot bound, so bring on the warm weather asap......

bull

freeze threat for tonight, I am going to create my own warm front.... will be burning brush over night......

Shotgun

Quote from: bull on May 10, 2010, 10:45:58 AM
Shotgun I started direct seeding into the garden for three years now on or about April 1st *( fools day )* My best production has come from early plantings. And with the rain fall in may, june and july for the past 3 years I have been able to have a crop established before the floods and the have survived.... I have had 3 -6 week voids in summer production due to mid season planting Failures.....

Sounds as though it's working well for you. Here it's Memorial Day for planting tomatoes.  I guess, looking at the map, that you're a little further south of us than I thought, and with your methods, you have things well under control.  Good luck with the rainfall and your garden.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Thank You Sponsors!