iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

My wife started the furnace yesterday, been cool the last few days but I didn't think quite that cool.  You know what they say though, if momma ain't happy....  We've been getting rain showers off and on for the last three weeks now, I don't mind the moisture but it sure makes haying miserable!  Have frost advisories out for the next few nights, I'm not ready for that yet, neither is the corn and beans.  :-\

SwampDonkey

Some sure cut hay late in the year. We never cut hay here past July. Late August-Early September was always wheat harvest here, then spuds.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Sometimes you have no choice but to try and get hay dry this time of year. In a perfect fairy tale year a guy would have all his hay done in June or July. In the real world when it rains every 3 days your forced to make hay in August, September, and even October when necessary.

Mooseherder

I guess you guys never really had a summer for 2014.
Has this ever happened before?

SwampDonkey

We do have more sunny days here in a year than the rest of the country. That sure helps. We did have a long stretch of summers here  5 or 6, that ended probably 2 years back, where it rained 20 inches above normal. Everyone once in a while we get a hot summer (a lot of high 80's and 90) like this summer. I think the last one was back in '87. One repreive though, hardly any thunderstorms this year.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 12, 2014, 05:51:55 PM
I guess you guys never really had a summer for 2014.
Has this ever happened before?

It happens UP here with some frequency. When you live so close to one of the largest bodies of freshwater on the planet that often has surface temps in the 40's and 50's for most of the summer (currently near shore the temps are in the mid 30's) it really influences the weather.

Mooseherder

Hopefully your Autumn and Fall season will be long before winter sets in.

SwampDonkey

Then it depends on where UP there your at to. I've been in the eastern UP 3 times for several days each time and never rained a drop, hay bales as far as you can see fields. ;)

chevytaHOE5674

The eastern UP has an entirely different climate. They generally have shorter/drier winters and hotter/drier summers. They also have entirely different soils which allows them to farm different crops at different times. Most years they have their spring field work and planting done and we either still have snow on the ground or are still dealing with the water from the thaw.

I'm hoping we have a nice fall too but so far it isn't looking good. Its too wet to work in the woods over here so everybody is sitting home waiting for drier weather. The paper mill is hurting for wood and are talking about cutting their shifts back because they might run out.

SawyerBrown

A couple of days ago I was sweating like a dog. Today I came in and made a cup of hot chocolate and got a sweatshirt before doing any more mowing!  Crazy weather!  High in the low 50's, plus windy, cloudy, and damp; supposed to be in upper 30's by tomorrow morning. Better stoke the furnace I guess!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

SwampDonkey

Reached 66 here, windy and sun. Nice.  :)

Magicman

I had to change shirts and underwear three times today.   smiley_sweat_drop
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

96° today  :) :-\ :'(. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Magicman on September 12, 2014, 08:15:16 PM
I had to change shirts and underwear three times today.   smiley_sweat_drop
Sure is tempting ...  Nope, won't go there...   ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

"Depends" upon where you were going.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

thecfarm

The heat is on. Had a low of 39°. First time in the 30's since last spring.
Hands will be cold picking corn this morning.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

41 and fog, and I bet that fog is cold.  ;D

thecfarm

I turned the heat off,back on now. 54°
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goose63

Had frost this morning wife wanted a fire in the wood stove was 64 in the house
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

Frost,I forgot about that. Next to the corn field is some grass that I bush hogged. The wheel tracks of the tractor had some frost on it. Was a very light frost.

SwampDonkey

There was frost on the roofs here and the windshied, but not a hard frost.

clww

Nothing that cold here, but next week's highs are supposed to be in the 70s. Had another downpour this evening, which easily brings this week's rainfall total to more than 7". :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

7 inches in one week.  :o  That's a little much.
Cat went out again for the night. One of these nights,she won't do that.

scleigh

We got 4.5" of rain Friday night / Saturday morning and 1.5" in about 20 minutes  Saturday night.
I have been moving dirt from my pond up to the site of my sawmill shed that I hope to build next year, some of it ended back in the pond.

Thank You Sponsors!